Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

These showers look like missing the majority of middlesborough north i think.... winds now northerly... and showers have now stopped moving in off the sea, i cant se that big batch of heavy showers hitting anywhere north of midds...

I agree regarding the showers bit and this is were we might get a little frustrated as we see the "train" of showers all heading to our South whilst we will have fewer showers.

Winds havant veered Northerly anywhere mind so we should still get some showers off the North Sea however with main instability moved South and pressure rising, then these probably won't be heavy and long lasting. I would not rule out the odd heavier shower though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

mini ice age here,taxis and buses only doing the main routes,everything else cancelled.

There's much more up at Consett compared to Stanley.

Only a dusting here, maybe 1cm whereas Consett must have about 5cm I would guess.

Roads are still slow with some snow on, but not as bad as this morning.

Last time I looked at the radar it was looking good, not so good now though with most of the big showers heading further south.

I'm sure snowstorm1 and others down towards Teesside will be happy though they could get a few cms this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

There's much more up at Consett compared to Stanley.

Only a dusting here, maybe 1cm whereas Consett must have about 5cm I would guess.

Roads are still slow with some snow on, but not as bad as this morning.

Last time I looked at the radar it was looking good, not so good now though with most of the big showers heading further south.

I'm sure snowstorm1 and others down towards Teesside will be happy though they could get a few cms this evening.

Yes so far only a dusting of grauple but looking at radar some of those beefy showers should be her soon! :cold::)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Yes so far only a dusting of grauple but looking at radar some of those beefy showers should be her soon! :) :)

You can have most, but please send one my way :cold: 0.8cm here, snow showers have been proper snow since 13:00 as opposed to graupel.

Edited by alza

Posted

You can have most, but please send one my way :cold: 0.8cm here, snow showers have been proper snow since 13:00 as opposed to graupel.

Lol ill send one and hope it makes it and although there is only a slight covering of grauple on the cars there is a small measurable covering now come on showers come to me! :) how long will they be lol?

Posted

Im sure many places in the NE tomorrow morning will see a good covering, I'm surprised there aren't any reports of lying snow on this thread, even Ive got 3cm of snow and i'm well inland.

Posted

Hail/snow showers on and off through the day here leaving a light covering and turned very icy now.

A nice stream of showers heading for the south of our region over cleveland,with other areas getting lighter showers at the moment.

Posted

Heavy Snow now falling... :):good:

Snow now stopped but not bothered much more on the way :)

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Look at how close those showers are to hitting Newcastle on the METO radar :good: Gateshead could even catch the northern edge!

On the plus side there are some light-moderate snow showers here again at the moment.

Edited by alza

Posted

Snowstorm, Alza, Cloud 10 etc etc, can you please put your locations in your avatar please, the North East is a big place and when you say "snowing heavily here now" etc etc, you could be any where from Berwick to Hull, not much use to anyone.

Cheers,

Karl

Oops, apologies there, I've just noticed that my location has vanished, and it's always been there !!

Can any mods help out here please, thanks

Edited by snowmackem

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Seems like you guys up north east are doing better than than the south east so far, those showers coming off the north sea are looking very heavy in nature and with a ENE wind they may well head further inland!!!

Agreed , jealous of the lot of ya!

:shok:

Posted

Snowstorm, Alza, Cloud 10 etc etc, can you please put your locations in your avatar please, the North East is a big place and when you say "snowing heavily here now" etc etc, you could be any where from Berwick to Hull, not much use to anyone.

Cheers,

Karl

it is there but they have took everyones off have a look at your own mate :shok:

Posted

Cheers,

Karl

Oops, apologies there, I've just noticed that my location has vanished, and it's always been there !!

Can any mods help out here please, thanks

Like snowstorm1 says they should be there but have vanished since the server upgrade.

I'm 1 mile north of Newcastle City Centre.

Posted

Cheers,

Karl

The forum is running a stripped down version to minimise the load on the server, so that's why we all don't have our locations :shok:

Looks like a shower about to hit here.

Very slippery on small roads and estates now.

Posted

Looks like a shower about to hit here.

Very slippery on small roads and estates now.

Roads in Spennymoor are dreadful, compact snow/ice on many roads, gritters don't seem to have come round as yet.

Still the odd bit of snow coming down and there is a small covering :)

Here's hoping we wake up to a nice covering in the morning :whistling:

Currently lamppost watching :)

Posted

It really is going to be close whether those snow showers reach Newcastle, some showers north of the main area are also trying to pep up, looking more promising than it did an hour ago. :)

How does that cold front look on Saturday? Worrying that the Beeb / METO ignoring it :whistling:

Edited by alza

Posted

It really is going to be close whether those snow showers reach Newcastle, some showers north of the main area are also trying to pep up, looking more promising than it did an hour ago. :D

How does that cold front look on Saturday? Worrying that the Beeb / METO ignoring it :shok:

You're right, it certainly looks more promising for County Durham/Tyne and Wear area this evening.

Saturday looks quite good on the GFS charts. A few days ago the ppn was downgraded to very little, but now it looks like a spell of moderate to heavy ppn, but there is a risk of it starting as rain near sea level as there is a mild sector coming down with it. This GFS chart shows the mild sector well...

post-3392-12610789490868_thumb.jpg

Then we have Monday which is far from certain, but there could be some more heavy snow :)

Posted

You're right, it certainly looks more promising for County Durham/Tyne and Wear area this evening.

Saturday looks quite good on the GFS charts. A few days ago the ppn was downgraded to very little, but now it looks like a spell of moderate to heavy ppn, but there is a risk of it starting as rain near sea level as there is a mild sector coming down with it. This GFS chart shows the mild sector well...

post-3392-12610789490868_thumb.jpg

Then we have Monday which is far from certain, but there could be some more heavy snow :D

I doubt it will be rain east of the Pennines, 850hpa temps will be very marginal, but temperatures will be around freezing even at sea level so it should be snow. Certainly hoping for a couple of inches from this one, and Monday looks unusual and messy, if it did come off though it is the kind of setup which brings 3-6 inches so a good 3-5 days at least of wintry weather :) Even without that snow on Monday, there would be lots of snow showers in the west with a few flurries making it across to the east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Another near miss here in the Newcastle area. This area used to be good for snow, but recent years it all seems to be heading south. They get the warm summers to :)

Nothing will come of tonight, but there is a small chance of a few more flakes on saturday.

Posted

So Snow on and off tonight and more snow tommorrow which is set in stone. :D

Then saturday a few sites are predicting sleet but i thought it would be snow can anyone shed any light on this.

Sunday dry.

Monday heavy snow. :)

Then afterthat it is all up in the air.

Posted

As things stand on the 12z that mild sector just misses us and wouldn,t be a problem,lets hope it stays that way!