Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Just read in another thread that apprently its thundersnow in London at the moment. I cant bare to read the East and South East thread lol it will get me jealous!

Metchecks latest warning updated at 21.00 hours tonight included:

Heavy snow and strong winds are expected across East Anglia, central, southern and southeast England with local blizzards, significant accumulations and drifting of the snow expected. In addition, hail and thunder can be expected close to eastern coasts.

Ian (East Dorset)

Posted

clear skys here -2oc bitter wind, just seen the 0955 weather old rob looked very serious i dont think hes that sure of the details, not himself really

frome somerset

Hi - I missed the 21:55 forecast - is there anywhere online I can see a re-run? - thnks

Andy - Frome

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Well, the temp here just keeps on falling, currently -2.5C with a DP of -5.8C but its clear out, which with those temps is to be expected I guess. Interestingly pressure was rising all day, but it has started to dip now.

Matt - East Dartmoor

Posted

Wind Picking up here now in East Dorset. That precip heading into the channel, what a waste lol! im sure the sea isnt bothered about being snowed on! :nonono:

Posted

im driving my bike down there im not missing out here!!!!!

dave wincanton.

Yes c'mon snow I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad lol.

saturday we might get abit so fingers crossed

Posted
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather
  • Location: Taunton Somerset(term time ) Sudbury, Suffolk weekends and holidays hoping to make Suffolk permanent soon ) . .

Had a dusting when driving through Langford Budville (near Wellington in Somerset) at about 5pm.Bitterly cold wind.

Posted

Nick.F predicting some snow in central and southern areas Saturday if I remember correct.........in his blog

a part taken from it

During Saturday, an Nerly flow will develop, and occluding front moving down across Nern UK in the early hours and will weaken and become ill-defined, to the north - a trough of low pressure moves south down the eastern side of the UK with a frontal system - which will bring a band of snow south across Nern and later central areas during the day, followed by unstable and very cold Nerly flow with locally gale force winds in the N. The frontal system with sleet and snow along its length reaches southern counties around midnight. Winds backing more to the NW further N as low moves SW towards Nern Scotland.

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder/lightning ,gales and warm sunny weather

I've just read that too.Temp down to -0.9 c.If temps drop further it will be icy conditions in the morning:-(

Posted

Brrrrr :) im hating the waiting game! but then good things come to those who wait!! - especially knowing London etc is getting or going to get a battering of very heavy snow doesnt help!! - Got family in Kent, lucky them!! Wind still picking up! still got my fingers crossed! - heres hoping!

Peoples locations are back :bomb: - First to notice :rofl:

Edited by Snowman15

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Temp -0.4c, DP -5.4c

Precip is slowly creeping west, if a bit patchy.

On another note, is anyone else in the east Somerset/west Dorset region experiencing intermittent power drops, ie lights going off very briefly? (I don't think it's my eyes!) It's done it about 7 times now - and just did it again! It's like there is a thunder storm nearby, but that isn't the case, I think...

...it might be time for bed.... :)

Posted

Temp -0.4c, DP -5.4c

On another note, is anyone else in the east Somerset/west Dorset region experiencing intermittent power drops, ie lights going off very briefly? (I don't think it's my eyes!) It's done it about 7 times now - and just did it again! It's like there is a thunder storm nearby, but that isn't the case, I think...

...it might be time for bed.... :drinks:

Hi Mark funny you should mention that, i noticed my lights flickered a few times earlier and im in East Dorset. Not sure why this is or if it signals anything!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Heat, Ice, Freezing Fog. Etc

Just been outside, cold spell has arrived at last! Outside steps at flat front door only normally freeze when very still and frosty, at moment empty plant pots have inch of frozen water in them, and its windy. Not seen that in 6 winters here: frozen water and pretty windy at 10pm. Feels promising of something more? Not been cold like this in December for a few years, bit 80's feeling to me.

Posted

Temp -0.4c, DP -5.4c

...it might be time for bed.... :)

hi funny you should mention the power drops we are getting the same here in north devon.. like you say just like when a storm is near, maybe its because its all of us with the heating on full? just did a temp reading and its now dropped to -1 but im so sad at the thought of all that snow being wasted on the east grrr they nick are storms now they nick are snow. No justice :drinks:not a flake coming my way this cold snap,:)

lol kaz x

Posted

Nick.F predicting some snow in central and southern areas Saturday if I remember correct.........in his blog

a part taken from it

During Saturday, an Nerly flow will develop, and occluding front moving down across Nern UK in the early hours and will weaken and become ill-defined, to the north - a trough of low pressure moves south down the eastern side of the UK with a frontal system - which will bring a band of snow south across Nern and later central areas during the day, followed by unstable and very cold Nerly flow with locally gale force winds in the N. The frontal system with sleet and snow along its length reaches southern counties around midnight. Winds backing more to the NW further N as low moves SW towards Nern Scotland.

how much snow will that bring though to somerset says 2.5mm moderate between 0 and 6 am

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

Hi Mark...I'm just across the border near Sherborne and we've had the same thing this evening. Not off enough to trip the computer out, but a definite blink in the lights. Last one about 15 minutes ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

Hi Mark funny you should mention that, i noticed my lights flickered a few times earlier and im in East Dorset. Not sure why this is or if it signals anything!

Hmmm, weird. It only did it over about 10 minutes, and hasn't done it for about 20 minutes now. Must mean that we are due a blizzard within the next couple of hours... maybe... :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

We had a brief flickering of lights when the wind got up this afternoon during a snow shower at 4pm, very briefly and during the shower.

Posted

how much snow will that bring though to somerset says 2.5mm moderate between 0 and 6 am

I dont know mate BUT i will say one thing when we get snow from these directions we can get a nice size dumping,Just been out and about and I can tell you that the gritter's are out in force.

Maybe they have been warned that we might get snow tonight :cc_confused:

Posted

COME ON! We just need that band of heavy precip in the east to continue heading in a east direction!! :cc_confused:

Starting to get some cloud rolling in here now.