Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

GFS indicates snow showers to continue this evening into the Wash area. If anything the GFS suggests these showers will become more widespread during the evening.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs063.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs123.gif

Only slowly fading away during the early hrs.

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

BBC back to their usual tricks again but this time upto 20cm tonight in the south east(east kent) :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

BBC back to their usual tricks again but this time upto 20cm tonight in the south east(east kent) :rolleyes:

hi neil, without trawling through all pages ... and as you are local to me - what happened to us and the snow. is there any hope of any in our area canterbury/elham valley? thanks in advance

Posted

Hi all, Dose anyone know if Surrey/London area will see some snow.

Welcome to the forum :rolleyes:

EA, London and the SE are forecast snow tomorrow night for a few hours, as a band of snow sweeps south from the north. Snow totals are not 100% certain yet as snow depths are hard to forecast even in short range, most likely 3-5cm but some members have been suggesting up to 10cm in some parts

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

hi neil, without trawling through all pages ... and as you are local to me - what happened to us and the snow. is there any hope of any in our area canterbury/elham valley? thanks in advance

Well two things went against us last night

1. Too close to the low pressure center as it came across us it killed off alot of the intense showers and filtered them through ea,essex,west kent. The winds also dropped off

2. The low pressure center also had a milder sector but this didn't affect areas higher up but did make the showers more sleety in many north/eastern kent areas.

Today

We was doing very well for the early part of the afternoon today it looked really good but the winds shifted from the north east to the north :rolleyes:

I'm still watching that large mass of snow showers just off the dutch coast and down into the north sea , but the wind direction is not favourable

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

BBC back to their usual tricks again but this time upto 20cm tonight in the south east(east kent) nonono.gif

I would absolutely love to be proved wrong, but where is this going to come from. Nothing on the radar!

Edited by Kent Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

1. Too close to the low pressure center as it came across us it killed off alot of the intense showers and filtered them through ea,essex,west kent. The winds also dropped off

2. The low pressure center also had a milder sector but this didn't affect areas higher up but did make the showers more sleety in many north/eastern kent areas.

Today

We was doing very well for the early part of the afternoon today it looked really good but the winds shifted from the north east to the north :rolleyes:

I'm still watching that large mass of snow showers just off the dutch coast and down into the north sea , but the wind direction is not favourable

such a shame <_<

thanks for the update though - much appreciated :)

Posted
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)
  • Location: Buntingford, North East Hertfordshire (120m asl) and Enfield, London (20m asl)

Today

We was doing very well for the early part of the afternoon today it looked really good but the winds shifted from the north east to the north :cold:

Very good informative post there neilsouth. You always be in a prime spot in Kent (as it juts out into the North Sea). I remember the cold spells during the 1980's and large parts of Kent being cut off in huge snowfalls (especially East Kent).

Keep the faith mate! :)

Posted

yup showers coalescing into more organised band, with a definite drift towards the coast

What radar you using mate?

:):)

METO have released flash warnings for our region tonight.

What is going on here then!?...

:cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

I would absolutely love to be proved wrong, but where is this going to come from. Nothing on the radar!

There does seem to be something building North of Norfolk, about level, but well East of Scarborough, in the North Sea. That is something t keep an eye on for those in the East.

Posted

What radar you using mate?

:):)

METO have released flash warnings for our region tonight.

What is going on here then!?...

:cold:

Just this

http://www.buienradar.nl/

a bit clunky, low-ish resolution, but you can see the actvity in the lower north sea well enough.

Combined with the IR satellite stuff on the link Paul B posted above, something seems to be happening

Edited by Nick.F

Posted

I'm not going to get my hopes up, as I might be a tad too far east, and currently those showers hitting east anglia are dying pretty quickly after hitting land, but the meto must have some reason for forecasting another 5-10cm for this part of the world between 5.38 and midnight. Here's hoping.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

Just this

http://www.buienradar.nl/

a bit clunky, low-ish resolution, but you can see the actvity in the lower north sea well enough.

Combined with the IR satellite stuff on the link Paul B posted above, something seems to be happening

Strangely, that radar doesn't look to correlate with our NW radar? :cold:

Posted

no not mad.

But the precip on the radar in itself isn't interesting, it's the manner of the development and also the general drift.

My assumption is that some precip way off to the NNE, beyond the radar, is what may have sparked METOs interest

Posted

All very strange this. Flash warnings are not handed out willy nilly after all.

I can see the PPN, but unless winds shift from due N to at least NE, we have nothing to get excited about?

Posted

Meanwhile for everyone else in EA, London and the SE, looks like a top up tomorrow night if you have a covering, the forecaster on BBC reckoned 5-10cm

Posted

All very strange this. Flash warnings are not handed out willy nilly after all.

I can see the PPN, but unless winds shift from due N to at least NE, we have nothing to get excited about?

I guess we will have to see.

All good fun ain't it?