Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

We also need to take into account how intense it is at the time , heavier the better bring those temps/dps down

Yes that aswell, defiently the south west will see rain and parts of the south coast,

On another note, everyone be careful on the roads tonight, expect it to be very icy tomorrow

And on another note aswell to joespontiac, the band tomorrow evening will not die out until it has gone out of the Southern Coast, so nothing to worry about

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

If the GFS charts are correct, the western side of EA could see snow instead of rain on Tuesday, on the coasts it will be rain, and in places such as Kent it will be rain too:

post-10203-1261153056358_thumb.png

post-10203-1261153075806_thumb.png

post-10203-12611530859639_thumb.png

I'll take that precipitype chart now thanks! :whistling:

Posted

If the GFS charts are correct, the western side of EA could see snow instead of rain on Tuesday, on the coasts it will be rain, and in places such as Kent it will be rain too:

post-10203-1261153056358_thumb.png

post-10203-1261153075806_thumb.png

post-10203-12611530859639_thumb.png

On the given synoptics I would be surprised. Dewpoints below 0, nice cold uppers and sub 528 dam, embedded cold. If precipitation was heavyish you would probably add evaporative cooling into that mix and see a nice dumping. Of course, that's on these synoptics. We won't really have a good idea until Monday evening at the earliest.

Light snow falling in Southend.

Wasn't expecting that.

On another note, why is it that whenever a low bumps up against cold air from the SW its always snow N of the M4?!

Everytime! unknw.gif

The M4 was built as a gigantic snow gauge...rolleyes.gif

Posted

On the given synoptics I would be surprised. Dewpoints below 0, nice cold uppers and sub 528 dam, embedded cold. If precipitation was heavyish you would probably add evaporative cooling into that mix and see a nice dumping. Of course, that's on these synoptics. We won't really have a good idea until Monday evening at the earliest.

The M4 was built as a gigantic snow gauge...rolleyes.gif

And were north of it :whistling:

Posted

Just seen the video clip on BBC N24 of one of Mick Gould's Heavy American recovery trucks in Crowborough earlier. It looks like it's driving in reverse, at speed, up to a queue of other trucks - in fact it's slipping down the icy hill with the brakes locked on and not slowing down!!!!! :whistling: Not sure what the outcome was, but when 20 tonnes of Kenworth truck is coming toward you, get out of the way!!

8)

ffO

Posted

now I'm less optimistic of any more here in East Kent, and it seems discussion has shifted to the next lot of snow :whistling:

Oh well, Easy come easy go!

Posted

I'll take that precipitype chart now thanks! :whistling:

I would too! I'm in the hot zone on that.

I just went for a walk into the village, where i measured 8 inches on cars. Away from my front doorstep (where it's 7) there are still 8 inches of lying snow, minimal or no melt whatsoever, and everything is blanketed thickly. Amazing. In the dim afternoon light it was quite special.

Shame that whole band had to drift south though, there was great potential there. Still tomorrow night is a sure thing, though tonight is still a bit northerly for all those away from the far east. Looking cold tomorrow though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises

Thanks for the link. Very useful

Jan

my pleasure (-:

If you would like a little visual representation.. this one is fab for seeing how we arived to today! :

http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760

once it's loaded.. click play and then grab the time line indicator at the top of the animation to move backward and forward - quite beautiful...

Posted

Looks like a very uneventful one this eve. Good, at least I can get to bed. Stayed up and watched the whole event unfold last night! 8)

Oh well, back we all come tomorrow night!... 8)

What a great start to winter. 2 snow events within 48hrs of eachother. :whistling:

Edited by LeighShrimper

Posted

Hi,

Not been on all day, too busy walking over the fields with the family, what a perfect day :blush:

So not surewhat the position is for tonight. I have to work tonight and wondered if there is any more snow due/ i live nr sittingbourne.

Posted

So, does anyone mind me asking if London will have a better hope tomorrow night then?

Posted

......and stopped...we should have had that lot in the channel too.

Yeah most of it was going either side of us!. Hoping for more this evening, one of the forecasts on BBC News 24 said upto another 8 inches for Kent tonight? I can't see where this is coming on the radar.

- btw where's Mr Crazysnowfanman - Bahamas maybe?

I wondered that, with the amount of snow in "Loootons" he'd be going crazy.

while I'm here ... a few snaps from this morning:

Wonderful photos! especially the road one :whistling: thanks for sharing.

Posted

had a few snow showers today, but not heavy, nothing much melted today only on main roads, clear now and temp dropping, -1c at mo, keeping an eye on them showers coming down the north sea, the wind still has a bit of east in it so you never know

Posted

What is the predicted time of arrival in EA for that band tomorrow?

Between midnight and 3am.

Posted

What is the predicted time of arrival in EA for that band tomorrow?

After around 9-12 midnight I think, it's likely to be showery and broken up so hit and miss again.

We've had a freezing day here, bright and sunny all morning then clouded over with some more flurries. Bitter wind, top temp of 0.1c. Currently -0.8c.

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

Snowing lightly here, but virtually nothing on the radar right now and not much scope for tonight. Looking forward to Saturday night's fun though.