Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

snowing here now, light but reasonable sized flakes and settling readliy on all surfaces :-)

Posted

One snow shower - Dusting on the ground.

Doesn't look like any more here really. Looked like it turned to sleet too.

However, much to be expected for here I think.

Credit the the BBC forecast from last night, showing the band lose intensity over the midlands (and hopefully re-intensify back over southern central england).

Also worth noting that ground temps increase as the front approaches.

Left Northampton at -1oC (partly cloudy - 7.30pm), and arrived back in Derby (8.30pm) at +1.5oC just before the shower started.

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted

Not looking great for South of the Midlands , there is a hole developing in the PPN . I Wonder if it is because Leicester is in a dip .

Posted

well the weather outside is frightful

but the fire is so delightful

but since there's no where to go

let it snow

let it snow

let it snow

i think those are the words

snowing in the black country

Posted

Bodes well for us down the road then... 0.2C here now, but as we've recently moved house the sensor isn't in a very good spot, too close to the house, so it might be a tad colder. 9pm radar looks a bit more promising... how much I'll get to see depends on if the baby wakes up...

Looks like some quite heavy precip heading down from leicester into NN2

Posted

The colder air is tucking in behind the front. Any temp rises are temporary!

So, by the time the front reaches Buckinghamshire/London Areas southwards the warm air wil be no more? :wallbash:

Edited by JamieUK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

White outside now, settling on all surfaces.

Its amazing the difference 5 miles can make....90 seconds of moderate snow here, then back to rain....Glad you've got something though Nick :wallbash: ...Just keeping my eye on that heavier ppn embedded just to the NW of Stafford...snow or rain?...place your bets now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Super! BIG flakes now and a covering already! Road covered also!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

But I have to say - once again - that the Met Office have gone completely over the top with these warnings. "5cm in most places" - don't make me laugh. I don't even have 0.5cm. Looks pretty outside though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

We have snow!!!!!!!! Ok, I know I'm just a lurker, but my GOD I've been waiting for at least a flake since SUNDAY!!

I'm so excited I could pee drinks.gif

Welcome to the forum!

Glad you've finally got some snow - I've also joined you in finally getting a covering tonight!

Posted

Considering I'm under a deluge of precipitation on the radars, nothing is happening. You lot wonder why we're so pessemistic. All of the other threads up north have reported heavy snow, even for a bit. This is truly sad and pthetic

Posted

I think we have a case for worst snow events in the UK

Certainly for the most snow events missed; apart from some the western coastal areas Shrewsbury has been just about the worst place in England for snow over the last two winters (far worse than eg central London); there were several snowless or near-snowless winters and missed snow events in the 90s I remember too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Moderate snow now,just starting to lie on all surfaces.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Slightly off topic, but the roads around Penkridge will be lethal later on tonight & first thing tomorrow...This rain/sleety mix we've had will have washed the salt/grit away, and as temps plummet overnight, I'd expect sheet ice...not good

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, thunderstorms, cold, snowy winters.

Its snowing here at the moment, its not very intense and its quite on-and-off. No way am I gonna see anymore than a centimetre!

Posted

Thanks for the welcome Bottesford!

I can't read the charts to save my life, but I feel like I've looked at every radar going for the last week! I'm one very happy bunny tonight and the nipper will be when he gets up in the morning, providing this stuff doesn't go anywhere. clap.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

MASSIVE Flakes here. Gritting isnt working and traffic already slowed right down in about 10 minutes. :rofl:

Posted

Considering I'm under a deluge of precipitation on the radars, nothing is happening. You lot wonder why we're so pessemistic. All of the other threads up north have reported heavy snow, even for a bit. This is truly sad and pthetic

There's still later on tonight and tommrow for some heavy snow showers.

But it does suck tbh!