Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

hahaha but i'll never be from Lancashire, what's flat and s h ! t? A Lancashire pudding hahahaha oh, my gf is from Preston...Sorry haha.

Edited by disco-barry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Fog > graupel > CLEAR > Fog > graupel > CLEAR , seems to be the pattern and temp is up and down like a yoyo lol. MeteoX shows the streamers merging over manchester Rochdale and oldham in the next 30mins .. we shall see.

Posted

Same here mate, same here. 5pm with darkness fallen and it's coming down as RAIN. Even around midday we were getting snow showers despite the fact that the morning's cover was thawing.

It's like some sort of inexplicable Sod's Law which exists solely to starve us of snow. Christmas Eve could give us a battleground event yet I don't even feel optimistic, because I've become so disillusioned. I guess the fact that it's the Christmas run-in makes it particularly hard to take.

The thing is, last nights non event i can take, i never expected snow as it was marginal at best, today was a different matter altogether though. All the forecasts were pointing to snow, the conditions pointed to snow but again it just doesn't happen. You'd think i'd learn after so many let downs in the past and believe it or not i am old enough to know better - especially annoying as i now have kids who are at the age when they would enjoy just a bit of the white stuff in their own back garden. You can bet your life that the next time we get a mild set up like this we will get showers all day says it all really.

Posted

Well what a strange day of weather here in south manchester. Snow, hail, rain, then more snow, then more hail and now rain. Does anyone know what happened ? I thought we were meant to be in bitterly cold polar air so how come its now raining even though its after dark and you might expect the temperatures to be dropping further ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Looks like the lines of showers that have been hitting here from the irish sea/liverpool bay have given up , just hope that the clump of cloud between NI and scotland carries on through and hits later

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Does anyone know if this streamer is going to hit me? I need my snow topping up, it's just slush now!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

snowing heavy now, we missed most of the showers here today as they were heading SE but now are heading more to my area bring it on!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

right, it's all gone very quiet this last hour or snow "tut" when's the next band of snow due lol

bloody hell - talk about timing - it's belting down again

Fog > graupel > CLEAR > Fog > graupel > CLEAR , seems to be the pattern and temp is up and down like a yoyo lol. MeteoX shows the streamers merging over manchester Rochdale and oldham in the next 30mins .. we shall see.

think they have arrived drinks.gif and thunder too

Edited by V for Very Cold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

Just had our first proper snow shower since 7 this morning, left a smattering. Radar is telling me that's it for a while here unless something skirts South, Looks like Cumbria is going to have even more of a dumping over the next few hours. Temperature 0.4C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Very heavy snow just north of Blackpool. It's on it's way peeps.

Posted

right, it's all gone very quiet this last hour or snow "tut" when's the next band of snow due lol

bloody hell - talk about timing - it's belting down again

think they have arrived drinks.gif and thunder too

nothing in wythenshawe at the moment

is what you're getting going to hit us do you think?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Just looked at the GFS charts but only upto 21 hrs... the Cold hpa's were getting mixed out over our region with -5 and below all around except over us were lucky to have -5 ! and with the irish seas help it was maginalising the snow !

Febs short lived event in our area is looking to be far better than this cold snap even though weve had snow on and off since thursday and a decent dumping. Certainly been a strange event thats for sho !

The dew points were strangely high for a good portion of our region too. the only thing that truely supported the snow showers were elevation, thickness's and borderline -5 hpa's. The Isotherms were poor for people below 250m ...

I'm not gonna complain, how can I with what Ive had.

Ooh just started snowing again and decent flakes !

Posted

I left Bacup this morning with a lovely covering of snow, that fizzled out around the M1 junction and there was no covering of snow until about Goole.

Heavy snow in Hull, had lunch and then drove all the way back came off the M62 at Brighouse to avoid the jams and drove all the way back to Bacup in heavy snow to find we had been plastered here, thanks Suzuki for their 4WD cars or I could not have got up the drive at all.

As I type this there was a flash of lightening and a crack of thunder, I'll have to put the outside lights on and see if its started snowing again.

Shadowfax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Very heavy snow just north of Blackpool. It's on it's way peeps.

Back track

I presume this heading in our direction,is this our streamer LOL?

C.S

Posted

The showers are gradually transfering to the northern parts of the region as the wind turns more westerly.

As a result the temperature has increased in most places due to the influence of the Irish Sea. I want the sky to clear and the temperature to fall as there is a thaw at the moment. Still a lot of snow around in Manchester, even in the city centre!

However, even if the skies clear, the temperature won't fall much below 0c, thanks to the westerly and it will most likely stay above 0c near the coast.

Karyo

Posted

Has anyone else near me been dissapointed with todays pathetic heavy grauple showers with sun in between melting what stuck?

Yes, we're disappointed here in South Liverpool. Everywhere looked lovely this morning when we got up but less than two hours later it was slush and has all gone now. We don't get seem to get snow here until everywhere else is covered and then we only get the left overs! I can't work up any enthusiasm now for the rest of the week as it's looking pretty grim.

Posted

nothing in wythenshawe at the moment

is what you're getting going to hit us do you think?

It looks like being quiet for at least the next couple of hours, all the pptn is north of Manchester (Rochdale/Tottington area Northwards)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

I left Bacup this morning with a lovely covering of snow, that fizzled out around the M1 junction and there was no covering of snow until about Goole.

Heavy snow in Hull, had lunch and then drove all the way back came off the M62 at Brighouse to avoid the jams and drove all the way back to Bacup in heavy snow to find we had been plastered here, thanks Suzuki for their 4WD cars or I could not have got up the drive at all.

As I type this there was a flash of lightening and a crack of thunder, I'll have to put the outside lights on and see if its started snowing again.

Shadowfax

don't know about anyone else, but barring the walk to the pub to end the adventure - sounds like a perfect day lol

Posted

Hmmm, looks like a disappointing night in store for South Manchester then

I can literally see the line of black clouds as it goes to rochdale/oldham and beyond

Posted

I actually think now the showers will die out across all parts except CUmbria by midnight, places Manchester and south have probably seen the last of the snow. There are no streamers left apart from the one on Cumbria and the one running through Lancashire now.