Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 18

Methuselah

Posted

It's funny, the event just gone was largely overlooked by many organisations until quite close to the event yet. So many times before when media get hold of it early it comes to nothing much at all.

2004 and 2005 being a major example.

Posted

We may well miss out on the battleground but the cold air is going to win out and another cold spell looks highly probable now.

I'd go as far to say that this spell has already been fairly memorable for this region, esp considering its a rare pre-xmas cold spell, they aren't all that common, at least in terms of how cold this has been in East Anglia, some places have had multiple days below freezing, not bad really...

Sure its no exceptional spell but I'd say another cold spell is odds on right now...

Think of the next 4-5 days as a break before the next round of cold air comes down for round two!

Also worth noting the North Sea is now down to about 8-8.5C, so the next cold spell should take it down yet further. The further it goes the less marginal things will be at the coast later in the winter.

What would you say for our Snow Chances Kold? And is the cold spell likely to bring North Easterlies, which would be great!

Posted

Brilliant synoptics and a winter to remember.......? Why would it be...?

Well for starters, here we had 10 nights of sub-zero temperatures, 5 days of falling snow, and as it will still be there tomorrow, 9 days of snow cover. And while I realise that this is the EA and SE thread, parts of the UK are getting hammered as we speak, not to mention not getting above -10 today in places. Plus the fact that the charts have been sensational thus far, and for the recent spell, verified from nearly 3 weeks out. So the fact that they are again showing a cold plunge is very encouraging indeed. Just because things haven't panned out in your area doesn't mean you can write off whats happening elsewhere, slight bit of nimbyism going on there I think.

Edited by ribster

Posted

At T+105, 528 line over the Scottish borders.

Run better for EA especially with the low further south than the previous run. 528 gradually extends south on Tuesday

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

LOL I do like all this talk of a big event coming up. It sounds a bit far fetched.....! It'd take some conditions for that to come off.

Will Hand predicted the latest cold period at the beginning of December, so I'm taking his next prediction seriously.

Posted

GFS 18z run showing snow on Wednesday. Winds from the NNE/NE. Good snow potential again for our region. Good Scandi high and Atlantic blocking But this is still in FI

Chart for New Years Eve:

post-10203-12616933959013_thumb.png

Possibly a white new year, but again still in FI

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

Well for starters, here we had 10 nights of sub-zero temperatures, 5 days of falling snow, and as it will still be there tomorrow, 9 days of snow cover. And while I realise that this is the EA and SE thread, parts of the UK are getting hammered as we speak, not to mention not getting above -10 today in places. Plus the fact that the charts have been sensational thus far, and for the recent spell, verified from nearly 3 weeks out. So the fact that they are again showing a cold plunge is very encouraging indeed. Just because things haven't panned out in your area doesn't mean you can write off whats happening elsewhere, slight bit of nimbyism going on there I think.

Never said it hadn't panned out. In fact we've had good falls. It was a question as to why, like what's coming up that's so special...! This could be the only cold spell, who's to say that the remainder of winter won't be mild and wet? Question has got nothing to do with lack of snow/cold in my area as I've had a decent amount but I'd be most surprised if this is what our winter will generally turn out like. So no nimbyism a question inviting discussion which I guess you didn't get.

Posted

Never said it hadn't panned out. In fact we've had good falls. It was a question as to why, like what's coming up that's so special...! This could be the only cold spell, who's to say that the remainder of winter won't be mild and wet? Question has got nothing to do with lack of snow/cold in my area as I've had a decent amount but I'd be most surprised if this is what our winter will generally turn out like. So no nimbyism a question inviting discussion which I guess you didn't get.

I thought nimbyism was allowed in the regional slots anyway

Posted

Whats coming up that is so special is what people are discussing regarding the forecasted charts for intense blizzards, northerly and easterly winds etc within the next ten days for some.

Very rare to see consistent charts like we have been this winter.

For those wanting a good old fashioned snow fest of a winter, what is being forecast as possibilities of happening, certainly is special.

Posted

The battleground is trending southwards on tonights 18z run, the models are still very uncertain...

However I'd still say for our location we are just about in the most unfavourable position for snow still...though any more southward adjustments will bring our location icreasingly into place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

I'd given up all hope of winning my bet for a (technical) White Christmas, but could it be???? :D

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ee/ee_forecast_warnings.html

That's exactly what I was just wondering. Is your bet for London?

I got in there at 8/1 and it looks like it may just come through. All it needs is one flake in the mix and we/I are winners!

By the way...HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL!!!! (well, almost)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I've just seen the met office flash warning (23:13) for MK & Bucks warning of sleet & snow during the night, so I may not have to rely on my lying snow (which is still hanging in there) for a technically NOT white Christmas and may get an official one after all !

Merry Christmas everyone, lets hope there is much more white stuff to come cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

That's exactly what I was just wondering. Is your bet for London?

I got in there at 8/1 and it looks like it may just come through. All it needs is one flake in the mix and we/I are winners!

By the way...HAPPY CHRISTMAS ALL!!!! (well, almost)

Yep London. Crossing fingers, toes and everything else :lol:

If I'd been a day earlier placing the bet I'd be like you, but I got 4/1 — still I'd given up all hope of seeing my £20 again until just now…

It's officially CHRISTMAS!!!!! Merry Christmas everyone :lol::):)

Posted

If you had taken the time to look around this forum instead of seemingly trying to start arguments with everyone you would see exactly WHY so many think the remainder of the winter won't be 'mild and wet'. There of course will no doubt be times when it will get warmer but the signs are, certainly for January, that it is going to remain cool with, potentially, spells of cold and snow.

Put simply there is very little sign of a return to full-on zonal Atlantic driven dross anytime soon. The PFJ has been running south for a while and looks set to continue well into Jan, NAO and AO also look set to return negative values into January. MJO currently in phase 8. All this will help promote blocking above us.

Posted

The rain has turned to snow here, but I don't know how long it will keep it up for. Big thaw today of the existing snow, rather patchy now and I don't think its doing a great job of settling either now. Lovely to see the white stuff on Christmas day though. Won't be a picture postcard scene in the morning, just dregs from the past week and a bit of fresh mush on the lawn I suspect.

Posted

Well... there's little snow on the ground, but miraculously our neighbour's snowman is still standing, head and all!

Next week is looking very promising. I got excited when someone said that in 78/79 there was a cold spell, then a mild spell, before the real cold set in. Here's hoping for a repeat!

Merry Christmas everyone :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

According to NW Radar I've won my bet for a [technically] white Christmas… just :clap:

post-8078-12617357303713_thumb.jpg

post-8078-12617357717613_thumb.jpg

Posted

Got 3 foot left of the snowman in the garden which has surprised me. I've told my son we will build another 5 foot snowman next week, or should I say, 'a few snowmen' :whistling::drinks:

Edited by yamkin

Posted

With this jet and blocking patterns being as they are I cant see any sustained return to mild anytime soon. The met office agree as they are mentioning even colder weather affecting the country next week on the forecasts

be a good opportunity to try out my new digital camera if we get snow and/or heavy overnight frosts. As it is, been a unusually potent cold spell for the pre xmas period, very rare to get snow persisting on the ground for up to a week at this time of year. Virtualy all gone here now but is some icy bits in hollows in the shade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

merry christmas everyone bring on more snow lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or Sun

Is all this talk of a very cold spell starting next week true or is it just a possibility atm ? And will it bring more snow to the Sout East area ?