Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 18

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever we get.

Raining here, and turning to ice as it hits parked cars, roads and pavements. Really very treacherous driving conditions. Not seen anything like it since 62/63.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Roads were slushy and wet 10 minutes or so ago, covered over again with heavy hail, here in SE London.

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Im lucky as the heaviest of the PPN has missed me, and there hasnt been much snow melt which is a bonus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

We have had the snowfall of a lifetime here in the Chilterns, it has been stunningly beautiful for days. Chucking it down with vile rain at the moment washing away any chance of lying snow for Christmas mad.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif ....We also had a huge flash of lightning and a roll of thunder too.

When I left for work this morning it was -8.5 with freezing fog, Just had heavy rain and its +2 sad.gif But it will be back for the new year.

I agree it has been an amazing snow event for Bucks.

Posted

There is a possibility of a white new year :) Looking ahead to Monday 28th, temperatures widely at around 6C or 7C, with some rain expected during the day.

Conditions set to turn colder by New Years Eve, earlier in the north (Scotland) where the cold may hang on over Christmas.

So when we celebrate New Years, could be very similar to last year, cold conditions but this time with more of a risk of sleet/snow. This is all thanks to the Scandi high, and good Atlantic blocking

post-10203-12616030509413_thumb.png

By the 3rd there could be widespread snow and at least a covering for many areas

As you can see in this image the jetstream is way off to our south allowing the colder air to flood in

post-10203-12616033422613_thumb.png

By the new year, Upper 850 temps fall to around -8C so right conditions for snow

post-10203-12616035260313_thumb.png

Of course this is still out in FI (Fantasy Island) but the signs are there! Over the next few days the main models may agree with eachother on what is going to happen. But it will be worth the wait! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Under 13 complete pages in over 24 hours! The excitement certainly has waned!

As I type i can hear it raining outside. On my walk home from work there's still icy pavements but you can hear the drains working overtime. this morning they were iced over!

Such a shame it didn't last till over Christmas. I hope it turns out like 81 / 82 where after a week's respite it came back stronger than ever. I've now dismissed the hope that the forecasters would be surprised like they were in 1979, when i went to bed expecting all the snow we had had would have melted, only to find the front got pushed back and instead we got even more snow! Happy days I hope we will see again soon...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Looks like Manchester is getting a dumping at the moment. Check out this webcam from the city centre: Manchester City Centre

Edited by danm

Posted

Looks like Manchester is getting a dumping at the moment. Check out this webcam from the city centre: My link

I dont mind this as we got the dumping on Thurs evening into Friday last week. Looks like another reloading of cold before Friday next week so we could see more snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I dont mind this as we got the dumping on Thurs evening into Friday last week. Looks like another reloading of cold before Friday next week so we could see more snow!

Hope so!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

CNN weather coming up in the next 10 minutes on Freeview channel 84, Sky Digital 506, Virgin Media 607. In-depth forecast for the next few days.

Will there be a white Christmas anywhere in the UK? What about Europe as a whole?

You keep posting about CNN but never reply what they said , atleast i haven't noticed it... or do you work for cnn? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

There is a really heavy 'clump' of ppn heading right for me now, if only the temps were down a bit further, it could get interesting!

Latest XC says snow in Odiham (@ 9:50pm) says recent snow, anyone near there to confirm?

You keep posting about CNN but never reply what they said , atleast i haven't noticed it... or do you work for cnn? :)

Must do!

Edited by Sno' problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

m

There is a really heavy 'clump' of ppn heading right for me now, if only the temps were down a bit further, it could get interesting!

Latest XC says snow in Odiham (@ 9:50pm) says recent snow, anyone near there to confirm?

Must do!

not sure about Oldham, but here in Preston at only 19m asl we have had another 3 inches overnight, giving us about 9" on the ground! there will probably be a slow thaw today, but i'm sure a good covering will still be here tomorrow :cold:

PS looks like next week could be a reload for you guys down there, with the potential for some really severe weather moving in after this 'mild' blip over Xmas! :cold::oops:

Edited by arron123

Posted

Yup still loads of snow here despite overnight temps above freezing, nicely cloudy with a little mist this morning, off to collect the xmas meat soon so hope the roads aren't too bad as they're completely untreated

Posted

omg just look at the models for up to the new year plenty of the white stuff to come ,arouned here the roads are fine the parths are death traps!!!

Edited by tinybill

Posted

We had heavy rain, sleet and snow last night, although the snow was too wet to stick. Fortunately it hasn't washed away the snow so, finger's crossed, it'll still be here for tomorrow. The rain washed the snow from the trees, which is a shame, as they looked beautiful yesterday. Roads are awful with black ice this morning, though. Everyone be careful

Posted

Shocking conditions here at the moment following last nights freezing rain.

post-1766-12616459983313_thumb.jpgpost-1766-12616459696213_thumb.jpg

post-1766-12616460251613_thumb.jpg

Really bad here, much more ice than previous days, impossible for cycling

Guest archiesmummy

good morning everyone...we have pouring rain here for about the last hour....the snow has all but gone...a very green christmas me thinks for our little part of essex.....

Posted

Looking through the last few pages, I'm amazed there aren't more reports! Here in Surrey last night it started off as very heavy rain, with thunder and lightning to boot. But then all of a sudden the temperature shot down and the most intense snow fell for around an hour, maybe two. All the while with the thunderstorms continuing. I've not seen anything like it since.. Janurary 2004? The rate of snow fall was incredible!

The snow settled on main roads, pavements etc. but was extrememly slushy due to the massive amount of rain preceeding it. All traces of last nights' snow are all but gone except on the cars, with the previous cover now melting fast in +4 temps.

An interesting night though, that's for sure, but perhaps very localised looking through the reports?

Posted

Looking through the last few pages, I'm amazed there aren't more reports! Here in Surrey last night it started off as very heavy rain, with thunder and lightning to boot. But then all of a sudden the temperature shot down and the most intense snow fell for around an hour, maybe two. All the while with the thunderstorms continuing. I've not seen anything like it since.. Janurary 2004? The rate of snow fall was incredible!

The snow settled on main roads, pavements etc. but was extrememly slushy due to the massive amount of rain preceeding it. All traces of last nights' snow are all but gone except on the cars, with the previous cover now melting fast in +4 temps.

An interesting night though, that's for sure, but perhaps very localised looking through the reports?

Was indeed some crazy weather last night. I too witnessed, rain, hail, sleet, snow and lightning! Was a very slushy mess outside come 10pm. Really nasty to be out in.