Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

No sign of it rising here yet, still stable around freezing

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=I90579761

0.5C mine, dont have dew point

Posted

Just to warn you all, now the precipitation has moved from here we have a temp of 2 ad a dp of 1.8 - steadily rising, all snow melting....

same here, after a lovely snowfall earlier of an additional cm or so, the temperatures are rising somewhat, and the snow is slowly thawing. roll on the next cold spell now, the milder snap/spell is incoming.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

Just to warn you all, now the precipitation has moved from here we have a temp of 2 ad a dp of 1.8 - steadily rising, all snow melting....

In south brum we have had about 1cm of snow (on compacted ice)... we went out for a snowy walk BUT it seems like it's thawing off the trees right now....

Posted

In south brum we have had about 1cm of snow (on compacted ice)... we went out for a snowy walk BUT it seems like it's thawing off the trees right now....

yep! i heard what i thought was rain outside! went out and it was the snow melting and water dripping off the trees

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

People who are reporting melting, what are your temperatures?

Posted

snow not stopping here yet.... just been out and i am pretty sure it's around about 3cm .... stunning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

People who are reporting melting, what are your temperatures?

Only bin sleet here at best, but temps now falling 7.45pm1.0 now 0.1 and falling. the roads are going to be bad.

Posted

For most of us this has been a disappointment, the whole spell. I've had a lovely 1cm today but nothing else. Other threads (Welsh and NW i think, not 100% sure), are focusing on next week, one said this would look like a mild blip.....drinks.gif I wish

What do people on here think about next week. Get peaking at the models and charts, what are they suggesting???

Posted

what a fantastic night, still -0.9 and snowing here, just been out for about 1 hour with my son who's 14 we have has such a laugh, snow ball fight and after snowball fight,on the streets. people sledging on the streets, this is fantasic so close to christmas. If if freezes, no one is moving here tommorow, i must of put 5 buckets of salt on my drive to clear the snow and its covered again. Walked up to my grans house at approx 250 metres and its still heavy snow, even snowing here. This is such a laugh, might go back out in a hour, just for the fun. Role on the rest of the winter. Told my son this is a rare event over the Christmas period, somthing to remember in years to come. :lol: :lol: :unsure:

Posted

For most of us this has been a disappointment, the whole spell. I've had a lovely 1cm today but nothing else. Other threads (Welsh and NW i think, not 100% sure), are focusing on next week, one said this would look like a mild blip.....drinks.gif I wish

What do people on here think about next week. Get peaking at the models and charts, what are they suggesting???

a long way off but this cold spell came when it was shown a week away, id say fairly mild from boxing day until tuesday, then possibly turning cold on wednesday 30th, models been consistent with this

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Could we have a white new year? :unsure:

It typically seems to be mild around New year but this year looks to be different. :lol:

I shall not take much interest in next week until the end of the weekend when it gets into closer range because otherwise we are just asking for dissapointments.

Posted

Could we have a white new year? :unsure:

It typically seems to be mild around New year but this year looks to be different. :lol:

I shall not take much interest in next week until the end of the weekend when it gets into closer range because otherwise we are just asking for dissapointments.

Last New Year was anything but mild! Got an ice day out of it. Looking even better for this year though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Last New Year was anything but mild! Got an ice day out of it. Looking even better for this year though.

Yeah last year was chilly but most other New years i can remember seem to be domianted by Mild south westerly yuck with rain!

Posted

my last white new year 1997, snowed 2 days before from a convective easterly, and snowed lightly all day on 1st jan 1997

Posted

my last white new year 1997, snowed 2 days before from a convective easterly, and snowed lightly all day on 1st jan 1997

I vaguely remember having new year celebrations in slushy, partially melted snow. Must have been about 10 years ago now, can't remember when though.

Posted

I vaguely remember having new year celebrations in slushy, partially melted snow. Must have been about 10 years ago now, can't remember when though.

2000, turned milder on new years eve with a thaw

Posted

2000, turned milder on new years eve with a thaw

That would be the one :whistling:

Posted

That would be the one :wallbash:

whats your temp? mine very slowly rising sadly, now 0.8C, my max was 0.9C much earlier today

Posted

A heavy looking shower in Wales is heading straight towards us though i have a feeling it's rain so i would rather it dyed out or missed us if that's the case.

Thick fog and up to 0.4c now so no ice day afterall..

Posted

whats your temp? mine very slowly rising sadly, now 0.8C, my max was 0.9C much earlier today

Well until now it had been 0.1c since 6.15pm. Now it is 0.2c. There are some showers heading towards us from Wales, I am very worried that these will be of rain or light but very wet snow. This would be a disaster. We need it to clear and the temperature plummet.

We have wanted PPN all week and it turns up when we don't bloody want it.

Posted

Temperature dropped back to 0.1c, dew point has risen to -0.7c, but it was snowing at -0.9c so this shouldn't be a problem.