Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Stopped here now, ah well it was good whilst it lasted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

According to the forecast Nottinghamshire and Lincolnshire were supposed to get 5-10cm...

This makes up for Saturday though :)

How deep is your snow now, Nick?

I've just been walking over the hills - there is a lot up there and frustratingly the snow line is barely higher than Cheltenham's altitude! Still it was nice to see some heavy snow. We are not doing very well for it down in town though! Only a dusting has settled so far.

Posted

moderate to heavy flakes last 20 min , another 2 hours of this would surely give 2-3 inches, a nice bonus to a dissapointingly snowless cold spellrolleyes.gif

Posted

I disagree with it turning to sleet then rain. Here, the snow is turning lighter and now stopping without any transition to rain. There are no mild uppers behind this band that would turn the backedge to rain plus the West Midlands i greatly helped by altitude with much of the region above 100m asl. Much of birmingham is in fact 120m asl plus.

You will find that behind this front is less cold air. For example tonight the temps will probably remain just above freezing and tomorrow will probably reach around 5C.

Im glad some are seeing snow but to be honest this is the end of the cold spell for the time being.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Moderate snow in Penkridge now...Its struggling to settle though as its very wet snow, but the heaviest ppn is still to come so I'm quietly confident of a covering and then an overnight freeze..I might just cancel my 9am appt at the dentist and enjoy a few cold ones to toast this evenings snow! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

How deep is your snow now, Nick?

I've just been walking over the hills - there is a lot up there and frustratingly the snow line is barely higher than Cheltenham's altitude! Still it was nice to see some heavy snow. We are not doing very well for it down in town though! Only a dusting has settled so far.

Sorry to hear you didn't get much. Only a guess but I probably have a cm now, might not sound a lot but after the horrendous luck we have had in the past week I will take it! Still coming down quite thick with big, big flakes. Should hopefully squeeze 2cm or so out of this. Either way, it will stick around for Christmas :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Woohoo, snow at last! Looks like the band has narrowed now so should only last for about half an hour or so. Might get about a cm or so from it. Still, lovely to finally get a miniscule share of the snowfest :D

Posted

how can it be snowin nuneaton but rainin in coventry???its 6 miles from here!!!

We are alot higher up than you, most of cov' lies at 200feet above sea level whereas I'm at 400ft and Phil is at over 500 if i remember rightly?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Sorry to hear you didn't get much. Only a guess but I probably have a cm now, might not sound a lot but after the horrendous luck we have had in the past week I will take it! Still coming down quite thick with big, big flakes. Should hopefully squeeze 2cm or so out of this. Either way, it will stick around for Christmas :D

settling here and not wet snow like ajpoolshark, not sure about it being there for Xmas, looks like being 5C tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

Looking at the radar, is there a slightly more NNW movement? Wonder if we'll get a share of those really beefy showers coming up from below Oxford?

Edited by dvdfjojo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

settling here and not wet snow like ajpoolshark, not sure about it being there for Xmas, looks like being 5C tomorrow

Don't know where you have got this 5c from, but even the Met Office who always overdo the temps (like today) only predict 2 or 3c.

In fact, Cannock only gets up to 2c.

Massive flakes now, really is picturesque out there now. Wish this was Christmas Eve though!

Edited by nick2702

Posted

Glad to see the some of the West Midlanders are getting snow, but on that basis, it would now make the West of the East Midlands the worst place for snow :D

Its been raining here for the last 30-45minutes now. The odd snow flake mixed in, but to call it sleet would in fact be stretching the truth.

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

moderate to heavy flakes last 20 min , another 2 hours of this would surely give 2-3 inches, a nice bonus to a dissapointingly snowless cold spellrolleyes.gif

Well had heavy rain lighting and thunder in reading an hour ago, if that comes you way you will get a lot more

Edited by stewfox

Posted

First snowfall since February here, its been a long time coming

sleet turned to snow just as we arrived in Oadby sw Leicestershire. Now ppn dying off

Posted

yea! we have had about two/three cm's of snow here but it will haveall melted by tomorrow afternoon cray.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Looking at the radar, is there a slightly more NNW movement? Wonder if we'll get a share of those really beefy showers coming up from below Oxford?

Thunder and lighting just south of Oxford heavy rain, just came up the A34

Posted

Everything is covered in snow now, about 0.5cm depth at most and its easing off already but certainly put me in a better mood after what weve suffered so far.