Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

Snow is settling easily considering most surfaces are already covered in frost and ice.

Nice large flakes and somewhat heavier now, :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

No because when the situation is marginal its the intensity of the precip that makes the diffference between rain/snow. So to be fair to the Met O its impossible to tell who will get snow or rain.

They could at least update the warnings once they know it's happening though! Too late for those already in the area in question, but still useful for those considering travelling to that area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

No because when the situation is marginal its the intensity of the precip that makes the diffference between rain/snow. So to be fair to the Met O its impossible to tell who will get snow or rain.

Well why have they issued a warning for the East Midlands? This is what I fail to understand. I thought it was even more marginal in the east than the west? And it seems to be showing, for example, with Andy in Leicester seeing rain, a poster from Rugby seeing rain/sleet. In comparison most reports from the western half are of snow (Telford, Cannock, Stourbridge, Birmingham etc. etc.).

Posted

It's trying to snow and failing. With the end of the PPN fast approaching it's not going to happen. Those to the north and east of me prepare yourself for a period of sleet, but nothing more.

we have snow here just to the west of you but it's not settling so, I don't expect alot from tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

You've got nothing?! Been snowing for a good 40 mins now. Started off pretty light and very wet, dried a bit now and is coming down fairly thick and fast. Starting to settle as well :D

Just started snowing...looked sleety for a minute, but now good old fashioned snow, albiet quite light

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

This is the lightest snow I've ever seen settle

I agree, shame, as anyting that falls will settle.... should hang about enough to give everything a cover, which will be the best we have had for the event thus far..

Posted

Snow pretty much stopped here now but given a nice 1-2cm covering even on wet patio! The sky is glowing but not much falling - still great to finally see something in our snow starved area of the country good luck all! :drinks:

Posted

Seems like the heaviest of the precipitation will miss us... how typical but oh well still better than nothing whistling.gif

Posted

Well why have they issued a warning for the East Midlands? This is what I fail to understand. I thought it was even more marginal in the east than the west? And it seems to be showing, for example, with Andy in Leicester seeing rain, a poster from Rugby seeing rain/sleet. In comparison most reports from the western half are of snow (Telford, Cannock, Stourbridge, Birmingham etc. etc.).

The reason is very simple. The beavier precip hasn't reached the E midlands yet. Let me explain this another time.

Using the Met O radar as an example if you havce blues/greens over your region then it will be rain or sleet. For this to turn to snow you need the yellows. The simple reason is the situation is marginal you need the heavier precip to cool the temps thus meaning the rain turns to sleet and then to snow. Watch how in your region once you move out of the yellows your snow will turn to sleet and then rain followed by a thaw.

P.S the area of precip that will hit me is still around Luton.

Posted

its stopped here now! we have a nice amount of fresh snow that has laid on top of the remaining snow from a few days ago! its a lovely winter wonderland outside! just been outside throwing snowballs with my 10 yr old son and all the neighbours! great fun!!!drinks.gif

Posted

OMG!!!! bloody biggest snowfalkes I've ever seen??!!! must be 3" across, will try and upload some photos

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The reason is very simple. The beavier precip hasn't reached the E midlands yet. Let me explain this another time.

Using the Met O radar as an example if you havce blues/greens over your region then it will be rain or sleet. For this to turn to snow you need the yellows. The simple reason is the situation is marginal you need the heavier precip to cool the temps thus meaning the rain turns to sleet and then to snow. Watch how in your region once you move out of the yellows your snow will turn to sleet and then rain followed by a thaw.

P.S the area of precip that will hit me is still around Luton.

Hmm, not so sure about the turning to sleet and rain thing. Reports from other people suggest the snow just gets lighter until stops. Anyhow, getting heavier here now, settling without a problem!

Posted

OMG!!!! bloody biggest snowfalkes I've ever seen??!!! must be 3" across, will try and upload some photos

I will take that as a sign \leicester might be about to change from rain to snow . How far are you from Junction 21 of the m1/m69

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Hmm, not so sure about the turning to sleet and rain thing. Reports from other people suggest the snow just gets lighter until stops. Anyhow, getting heavier here now, settling without a problem!

still light here at the moment, even if it stops now better than saturday nights flop

Posted

Haha, you for serious? 3" LOL..... pics otherwise bin that post lol

Posted

Damn sleet again now, just got the camera out too, we must be right on the edge of the the good uppers here.