Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

stopped here now, lovely top up :-) though I am with TEITS and believe it will all be gone tomorrow, temps are due to pick up from tomorrow onwards - this actually backs what the GFS was saying at the start of the cold spell, that the breakdown would occur around Christmas eve. I am still happy though, really early in the winter and a good few days of lying snow, can't complain :-)

A small thaw tomorrow. It still looks pretty cold!

Posted

Hi CH,

I t looks as if the the back edge will move through us soon and that should be it i think.

Phew!! it's stopped snowing now and none has settled, oh, and the moon is coming out!!

I was really worried then that a heavy snowfall was about to wreck my christmas and cut power and stuff!!

What a lucky boy I am :drinks::clap:

Posted

Just started snowing here :clap:

Didn't have any preceding rain and it's settling on the road immediately.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Penkridge

Thought so. Very bizarre how yours started considerably after mine then, especially considering that you're not that much further north than me.

Lots of small flakes here now. Temperature has remained at freezing throughout which is great, and considering there isn't much evidence of it getting above 2-3c until Saturday it should remain for Christmas :drinks::clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow - or HOT

A small thaw tomorrow. It still looks pretty cold!

hope you are right, we managed to hang on to more today than I thought we would. Maybe with this top up we will keep some for Christmas morning :clap:

Posted

Snow now stopped. Got a good 3 quarters of an inch though so im happy!

Edit-Not 3 to 4 inches... rather 3 quarters of an inch lol.

Edited by Albion Snowman

Posted

yeh ...first proper snow of the winter ...loveley and white outside caus it never got above freezing ..settling beautifully I'm a very happy puppy :drinks::drunk::clap:

Posted

It started as snow 1 hour ago and now snowing moderately. I appreciate its not been snow everywhere but I think we can use this as a lesson that we can't use global modelling to strictly determine a rain/snow situation even at T6 hours, and it's more important to use personal experience of similar set-ups in the (dim and distant) past.

very much agreed, experience counts for alot which explains why it always snow here in such marginal setups :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Thought so. Very bizarre how yours started considerably after mine then, especially considering that you're not that much further north than me.

Lots of small flakes here now. Temperature has remained at freezing throughout which is great, and considering there isn't much evidence of it getting above 2-3c until Saturday it should remain for Christmas :drinks::drunk:

certainly hope so nick, everywhere covered in white, great Xmas setting

biggest flakes now of evening

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

hope you are right, we managed to hang on to more today than I thought we would. Maybe with this top up we will keep some for Christmas morning :drinks:

Yep if it can freeze tonight then it will last even longer. Not to worry if it doesnt as the fun and games may start again in about a week from now.

Posted

Sleet washing eroding the lying snow here. So I've battled it into work since Friday, then the minute I finish and don't have to travel anywhere, it begins to thaw... sods law that.

Posted

its settling here, roads are now white over again, this is Fab for Christmas can only see more joy to come from this.

its settling on already compacted ice and 3 inches of snow on the ground already, so this is looking good for christmas, must be close to 20 years since i has snow on lying on christmas day this is just getting better by the day, still -0.8 :drinks:

Posted

Very quickly cleared up here, the sleet has probably melted a good 2 inches of lying snow, with about 2 inches left... but if it freezes up now it will be seriously dangerous on the roads.

Posted

thats more like it, more increase in intensity and size of flakes too yummmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyydrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Pretty much stopped now, just went out with my ruler, 1.5cm! Might sound pants but I am grateful!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Pretty much stopped now, just went out with my ruler, 1.5cm! Might sound pants but I am grateful!

around the same, still snowing but lighter, hope skies clear behind this, and would be great if it was misty tomorrow keep them temps down

Posted

still falling very nicely here.... looking wonderful outside with at least a cm from this nights snow.

Judging by the radar atleast half an hour or so left :(

Posted

Strange goings on here. Sleet never really turned to snow in Wordsley and if anything hurt our small accumlation a little. Just been up to Brierly hill about a mile away and very heavy snow fell there with a good accumlation. Ah well, thats what you get for living slightly lower down.

Thats our lot for tonight i take it then?