Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion.

Methuselah

Just got back from there, it was raining at Storey Arms (yes, it was even raining in the Brecon Beacons) but it appeared to be snowing on the peaks.

Even though ground temps are low, Upper temps are such that the snow is melting even before it is reaching the cold surface level. however as the colder air quickly digs in overnight, this situation will soon chacne.

Unfortunately it is set to turn drier for tomorrow.

As for Sunday/Monday next week, the GFS is now placing the LP further south, as per other models, personally I think will end up nowhere near Wales.

Posted

Does anyone know if there is any snow left on the Brecon Beacons, esp Pen-Y-Fan? I might go up on Friday.

I can see Pen Y Fan from my house and it's very white, I bet there's 8-12 inches up there.

There's a few inches on the 400m hill near me. Might be less now though due to the rain.

As for Sunday/Monday next week, the GFS is now placing the LP further south, as per other models, personally I think will end up nowhere near Wales.

Latest GEM's got it pretty close to us:

gem-0-102.png

Posted

I can see Pen Y Fan from my house and it's very white, I bet there's 8-12 inches up there.

There's a few inches on the 400m hill near me. Might be less now though due to the rain.

Latest GEM's got it pretty close to us:

gem-0-102.png

Been many years watching charts if it came off, approaches wales then slope of south be great.But i seen to many times getting the high cloud just reaching lands end.

Posted

Well having missed out on the snow these past few days I decided to go get me some! Took a drive in the 4x4 up the Cambrian mountains, and just a few miles up from Ponterwyd its like a winter wonderland! Was snowing quite heavily when we got there around 3pm, and some of the drift were amazing :lol: Gonna head up again tomorrow for some sledging :lol:

Well having missed out on the snow these past few days I decided to go get me some! Took a drive in the 4x4 up the Cambrian mountains, and just a few miles up from Ponterwyd its like a winter wonderland! Was snowing quite heavily when we got there around 3pm, and some of the drift were amazing :lol: Gonna head up again tomorrow for some sledging :D

Don't forget to get some pics :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

temps hovering around 3.4C atm, i think as the front moves south and the cold air comes in behind overnight, the temp will soon drop away. Net weather forecast for here overnight sunday into monday looks good at the moment!

Edited by Deepsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold undercuts from East. Warm thundery in Summer.

Bwlchgwyn 375m asl

Wind 07018G28Kts

Mod Snow

M00/M01

Snow Depth= 38cms

Next village down virtually nothing. Pays to have been above 250m asl.

Posted

There's not really that much snow here at low levels either, only around a cm or two and it's just sleety rain now.

I've just been up to the top of the hills around us and there is easily a foot of snow up there already with blizzard like conditions, It will be really interesting to see how much snow there is over the tops by tomorrow afternoon! cold.gif

I really do feel sorry for whoever lives above 300m, there are no roads anymore, conditions are deadly.

The higher hills I bet are getting some serious snowfall,snowing here now still smaller flakes,this snow has been too wet for my liking,it couldn`t drift today,it probably is now though.

Maybe 9inches or slightly more but last nights snow has gone very heavy after the drizzle.

Watch out when it freezes now -4c tomorrow night it`ll be very crunchy.

Posted

Even though ground temps are low, Upper temps are such that the snow is melting even before it is reaching the cold surface level. however as the colder air quickly digs in overnight, this situation will soon chacne.

Unfortunately it is set to turn drier for tomorrow.

Hope you wrong jackone netweather forecasters says snow thats goodenough for me.

Posted

Just a quick question for anyone living in or near the Brecons. Whats the snow cover like up there? I'm planning on going up Pen Y Fan on Sunday and want to make sure that I can get there on the roads safely and get some good phot opportunites. Many Thanks

Posted

Just a quick question for anyone living in or near the Brecons. Whats the snow cover like up there? I'm planning on going up Pen Y Fan on Sunday and want to make sure that I can get there on the roads safely and get some good phot opportunites. Many Thanks

Roads are open and from reports on here - there's plenty of snow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Im off up Pen-Y-Fan new years day, should see plenty of fresh snow, weather looks good too. Can usually see Pen-Y-Fan from north Swansea but have not been able to see it for 2 days because of the misty conditions.

Posted

Looking at models hopefully see something on 4th Jan?

Posted

Roads are open and from reports on here - there's plenty of snow!

newbie coming in , ive subscribed to this site for over 2 weeks now and its great for an amateur like me to se all the great informative posts that you get on here , ive been addicted to this site almost night and day ever since , especially with this topsy turvy weather weve got going on at the moment , Ive even gone and bought a timex weather station to keep up with things in the back garden lol

Ive been telling the missus its going to snow for the last 5 days lol nothing but rain , Im waiting for the next LP on 3/4th to see what happens before I make any more predictions lol

Posted

newbie coming in , ive subscribed to this site for over 2 weeks now and its great for an amateur like me to se all the great informative posts that you get on here , ive been addicted to this site almost night and day ever since , especially with this topsy turvy weather weve got going on at the moment , Ive even gone and bought a timex weather station to keep up with things in the back garden lol

Ive been telling the missus its going to snow for the last 5 days lol nothing but rain , Im waiting for the next LP on 3/4th to see what happens before I make any more predictions lol

Welcome to Net-Weather! Enjoy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Yeah welcome to Net Weather :D

Temp now at 3.3C and looks cloudy, but no rain and things seem to be drying up! Still looks like we have a fair chance on sunday/monday, but all can change. Does anyone know if there is any chance tomorrow or friday of seeing any snow?

Posted

Yeah welcome to Net Weather smile.gif

Temp now at 3.3C and looks cloudy, but no rain and things seem to be drying up! Still looks like we have a fair chance on sunday/monday, but all can change. Does anyone know if there is any chance tomorrow or friday of seeing any snow?

from the latest GFS run - pub run 18z - not good - the low completely misses us next week - but only one run - could go back north again on later runs - apart from that it's frosty - down to -4 at night and dry up till wednesday next week - but you never know - a rogue shower or two on a biting easterly wind may get through!

Posted

from the latest GFS run - pub run 18z - not good - the low completely misses us next week - but only one run - could go back north again on later runs - apart from that it's frosty - down to -4 at night and dry up till wednesday next week - but you never know - a rogue shower or two on a biting easterly wind may get through!

I hope so, because even if it is a shower or two, sometimes they can give a inch or so right? although this far west im not too sure..

Posted

I hope so, because even if it is a shower or two, sometimes they can give a inch or so right? although this far west im not too sure..

The front seems to be moving back south now - there's always a chance of a few flakes between now and midday tomorrow - definite easterly wind now as it's playing a tune on our back window!