Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion.

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard

snow has been heavy for past 45 minutes now. A fresh 4cm from today snow so far

will it reach North West Wales?

Posted

there is certainly a huge dumping of snow going on in mid wales and just north of cardiff. and it appears the front has stalled with no movement.

for latest radar - red - snow blue - rain

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted

Where about are you?

Higher ground in Northwest Wales has been getting snow for most of the day.

Posted

Just rain/sleet here - midway between Wrexham and Oswestry. Temp has not reached 2 C all day.

Edited by A_T

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/blizzard

Where about are you?

bangor???

Posted

Where about are you?

pontypridd just north of cardiff, upper boat, A470. mountains are white but nothing for us! i know though that andymusic and wales (on here) are nearabouts graig hill which is only a 5 min rive from here and they have snow. obviously its all down to the above sea level and height!

Posted

bangor???

Always going to be marginal for Bangor in a setup like this due to proximity to the sea and low altitude. I suspect several miles inland along the A5 it will be snow. A freind who lives on high ground near Betws y Coed has a couple of cm's of snow.

Bangor could see more in the way of snow as the colder air digs in

Posted

Always going to be marginal for Bangor in a setup like this due to proximity to the sea and low altitude. I suspect several miles inland along the A5 it will be snow. A freind who lives on high ground near Betws y Coed has a couple of cm's of snow.

Bangor could see more in the way of snow as the colder air digs in

Chi'n lwcus mae haen gorllewinol y bannau Brycheiniog wedi gwneud yn wael eleni wel cyn belled am eira ta beth :whistling:.

You are lucky the western flank of the Brecon Beacons have done fairly poor this year well so far for snow anyway :lol:.

Edited by adamjones416

Posted

Snizzle here, about 1 cm of lying snow..

The intensity of the precipitation here is pathetic.

Posted

still sleeting here in blackwood gwent totally gutted ,watched through window early hours of this morning, got up at 6.30 cause it started to snow really excited and it turned to sleety rain, should i lamp post watch tonight ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Still drizzly stuff here, and temp over past hour or so been slowly dropping, its now 2.3C, i guess if it continues to drop low enough it could turn into light snow, will just have to see if it sticks around long enough for temps to get lower, thats if they do lol. I dont feel to bad at the moment about not really getting any snow, apart from the 5 mins earlier today as i think we are still in with a chance towards the end of the week, and maybe next week, so i guess not all is lost yet, isn't this still just the beginning of the cold spell? so still plenty of time for snow!

Posted

I get the feeling here that this "event" has generally been quite a let down considering the promise, though a few areas have done well. Very dissapointing though considering what the models were showing and what could have been. This winter hasn't really delivered yet unfortunately. Let's some megablizzards come in Jan-Feb.

I do feel we will get our turn for something special sometime this winter...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

I get the feeling here that this "event" has generally been quite a let down considering the promise, though a few areas have done well. Very dissapointing though considering what the models were showing and what could have been. This winter hasn't really delivered yet unfortunately. Let's some megablizzards come in Jan-Feb.

I agree with you there, hope to see atleast one good snowfall with atleast 6" to 8", and i think end of jan or some time in feb will be the most likely time for it to happen here!

Posted

For Dec 29th it's relatively delivered in spades. We have months to go and to get these chances at this stage is excellent.

Edited by CLH the red dragon

Posted

There is still some heavy precipitation set for tomorrow morning, I know earlier we had 4-6cm within a few hours, or is this likely to be even more rain?

Posted

There is still some heavy precipitation set for tomorrow morning, I know earlier we had 4-6cm within a few hours, or is this likely to be even more rain?

Looks like rain apart from higher ground in Mid Wales/N. Wales

21-574.GIF?29-12

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Total non event here...hours of sleet...yah boo sucks with knobs on Met Office...big fat raspberry coming your way...where's the 10-15cms you guys said we'd have?

Sorry boys...hours of sleety rain doesnt cut it. Maybe next time eh?

Posted

Total non event here...hours of sleet...yah boo sucks with knobs on Met Office...big fat raspberry coming your way...where's the 10-15cms you guys said we'd have?

Met Office got this one wrong for sure. It seems only upland (~+300m) areas have received any significant accumulations while they mentioned in their warnings 4-6 inches down to lowland areas of Wales/Midlands.

Edited by Barb

Posted

I'm about 10 miles away from you and we've got a similar story here at the moment, nothing but light snow grains.

We've got about 1.5cm of snow lying here now, I'm sure you will accumilate at least an inch of snow within the next 12 hours and it could amount to more as tomorrow progresses!

Have hope!

Posted

yep

we all know their were covering their behinds, BUT when a severe event DOES happen now, I reckon people will just brush it off, 'aw, nothing happened last few times, nothing will happen this time'

cue hundreds of people getting trapped in cars etc etc

I'm convinced that'll happen now.

Posted

The met office should actually be worrying about their credibility right know considering the government funding they have. I fail to see why Ceredigion/Carmarthenshire/Swansea/Neath Portalbot etc were even upgraded into the orange zone, nobody i know has reported snow accumilating to great amounts in These areas. we had sno here yeah but wet stuff very wet that certainly wouldnt warrant a warning, not even the hills that are 400m abs behind my house are white, its very pathetic.