Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales Cymru Cold Spell Discussion.

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Drizzly rain now, but warm too at 3.7C. Met office forecast for my area a low of -7C on saturday night. cold indeed!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Absolutely anything extreme or unusual

Drizzly rain now, but warm too at 3.7C. Met office forecast for my area a low of -7C on saturday night. cold indeed!

Yes, but to be fair they did forecast between 10 and 30cms of snow yesterday too!! whistling.gif

Posted

Upper air temps are as high as they can get for snow,sleety snow and drizzle/sleet grains(a right mix today here.

http://91.121.93.17/pics/Rmgfs062.gif

Today reminds me of a few days late January 1986 when there was drizzle and a cold NE-ly, except with more snow now.

Cold air comes back in tonight.

Posted

Upper air temps are as high as they can get for snow,sleety snow and drizzle/sleet grains(a right mix today here.

Today reminds me of a few days late January 1986 when there was drizzle and a cold NE-ly, except with more snow now.

Too right, on the margin of marginal, back to rain again here now... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Yes, but to be fair they did forecast between 10 and 30cms of snow yesterday too!! whistling.gif

True. Sunday night and Monday look a bit interesting at the moment, still a long way off, but would i be right in saying thats still our next best chance? metcheck and accu weather both also have forecast snow for here then. It will all change, but i can still have a small bit of hope right?

Indeed turning much colder tonight, which brings back the ICE risk back with a vengeance, for tonight in places, but especially for tomorrow night.

Posted

True. Sunday night and Monday look a bit interesting at the moment, still a long way off, but would i be right in saying thats still our next best chance? metcheck and accu weather both also have forecast snow for here then. It will all change, but i can still have a small bit of hope right?

Yes, it does look like it at the moment, again though it all depends on how far North the system advances before slipping away, GFS has it further N again, ECM has it further S, somewhere in between I guess, just like this time, though not as far N as yesterday and we will have colder air, both surface and uppers by then, so less tendency for it to start as rain or turn back to sleet/rain at lower levels...

Posted

Yes, it does look like it at the moment, again though it all depends on how far North the system advances before slipping away, GFS has it further N again, ECM has it further S, somewhere in between I guess, just like this time, though not as far N as yesterday and we will have colder air, both surface and uppers by then, so less tendency for it to start as rain or turn back to sleet/rain at lower levels...

That doesn't sound to bad at the moment, hopfully things will go right, and we will get something, even if its only a few inches. Will have to see how things go as we get closer to the time. I will say i do hate all the waiting to see if it will or wont happen. I now just look foward to it getting colder :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms

Horrible horrible hateful day.

Cold and thoroughly wet. The rain just keeps on coming...fields around me are soggy and increasingly waterlogged...ignore the temperature and it could easily be one of those nasty wet November days. Ugh!

Pass me the valium someone.

Edited by Carl43Wrexham

Posted

Would anybody like to hazard a guess as to whether it'll be snowing in the Brecon Beacons this afternoon? I'm assuming it will be. We're about to take a trip up there.

Posted
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: SACRA member
  • Location: Upper Cwmbran NP44 S E Wales - 5 Miles east of Newport 150m ASL

many places got that amount of snow....where have you been ?

2.4C here in Cwmbran 100m asl has been on and off drizzling all day.

Took a drive up the mountain an hour ago and theres a big thaw on....water rapidly washing down the roads....trees dumping large wet lumps of snow....

looking at the snow levels up there I reckon 6 inches yesterday probably fell during yesterday. The previous snow had already melted so all in all a very good covering.....

Posted

Went up to Storey arms yesterday plenty of snow but quite wet and a eastly wind blowing through quite hard. Stopped of in Nelson to get petrol on my way back to Cardiff. Her who shall be obeyed is from nelson

Posted

There's not really that much snow here at low levels either, only around a cm or two and it's just sleety rain now.

I've just been up to the top of the hills around us and there is easily a foot of snow up there already with blizzard like conditions, It will be really interesting to see how much snow there is over the tops by tomorrow afternoon! cold.gif

I really do feel sorry for whoever lives above 300m, there are no roads anymore, conditions are deadly.

Posted

Rain, often heavy, here. We had about 30mm of rain yesterday today, if temps had been 1-2c lower that probably would have been 30cm of snow. Ah well.

Posted

There's not really that much snow here at low levels either, only around a cm or two and it's just sleety rain now.

I've just been up to the top of the hills around us and there is easily a foot of snow up there already with blizzard like conditions, It will be really interesting to see how much snow there is over the tops by tomorrow afternoon! cold.gif

I really do feel sorry for whoever lives above 300m, there are no roads anymore, conditions are deadly.

so deffo worth a visit over the horseshoe pass then...or on the racecorse on top of oswestry

Edited by derby4life

Posted

many places got that amount of snow....where have you been ?

2.4C here in Cwmbran 100m asl has been on and off drizzling all day.

Took a drive up the mountain an hour ago and theres a big thaw on....water rapidly washing down the roads....trees dumping large wet lumps of snow....

looking at the snow levels up there I reckon 6 inches yesterday probably fell during yesterday. The previous snow had already melted so all in all a very good covering.....

Really - where?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Does anyone know if there is any snow left on the Brecon Beacons, esp Pen-Y-Fan? I might go up on Friday.

Posted

Back on my Met office moan

Have a look at the seasonal forcast interesting reading especially the rainfall mega_shok.gifmega_shok.gif

http://www.metoffice...al/2009/winter/

im happy they are saying we are more likely to have a colder winter!! and possibly wetter is good as it could mean more snow if its colder?

Posted

Rain turning to sleet/wet snow here... cold air digging back in?

Sleet/wet snow here again, temp down to 1.3c and falling very slowly, 850s are still around -1 though, so I don't think it's the real cold yet, if you look though the gradient to the colder air is very sharp just to our NE, so hopefully not long.

I suspect we will get a little more snow overnight and the thaw should stop.

Posted

im happy they are saying we are more likely to have a colder winter!! and possibly wetter is good as it could mean more snow if its colder?

There is a 30% chance of a drier winter, a 35% chance of an average winter and a 35% chance of a wetter winter.

pick one from 3

Posted

Does anyone know if there is any snow left on the Brecon Beacons, esp Pen-Y-Fan? I might go up on Friday.

Just got back from there, it was raining at Storey Arms (yes, it was even raining in the Brecon Beacons) but it appeared to be snowing on the peaks.

Posted

Cold and wet day here which has dissolved nearly all of the lying snow from Yesterday... :cray:.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Erm so guys... Was my warning about yesterdays event a good one? :cray:

I warned that you might not get anywhere near 30cm of snow below 300m. Well it seems even between 300-500m the most they got is about 10-15cm lol.

Mate listen... It is an absolute garauntee that there will be shed loads up there. It will be a good 3-4 degrees colder up there than on ground level. The temp wont have got above 0 up there all day so i'm sure there is a good 6 inches+ level snow.