IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

LOL what the heck!!!

East Midlands: Derbyshire

Leicestershire

Nottinghamshire

Heavy Snow Wed 30 Dec

There is a moderate risk of severe weather continuing to affect parts of England and Wales on Wednesday.

Further periods of sleet and snow are likely at times during the day. Accumulations of 2-5cm are possible at low levels with a risk of 10-20cm over high ground.

Issued at: 0420 Wed 30 Dec

OOOOOK!

not another night of radar watching, 'yawns and goes back to world of warcraft' Edited by cyclonic happiness

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

Just cut & Paste this from Met Office site. Fingers firmly crossed.

East Midlands: Derby Derbyshire Leicester Leicestershire Lincolnshire Northamptonshire Nottingham Nottinghamshire Rutland Heavy Snow & Widespread Icy Roads Thu 31 Dec Snow showers are expected to affect many areas but especially coasts and hills exposed to the north. The showers may be heavy and give fresh accumulations of 2-5cm in some places and locally 10cm.

Icy patches on untreated surfaces may become widespread.

Issued at: 1458 Wed 30 Dec

Posted

Just cut & Paste this from Met Office site. Fingers firmly crossed.

East Midlands: Derby Derbyshire Leicester Leicestershire Lincolnshire Northamptonshire Nottingham Nottinghamshire Rutland Heavy Snow & Widespread Icy Roads Thu 31 Dec Snow showers are expected to affect many areas but especially coasts and hills exposed to the north. The showers may be heavy and give fresh accumulations of 2-5cm in some places and locally 10cm.

Icy patches on untreated surfaces may become widespread.

Issued at: 1458 Wed 30 Dec

pigs might fly, very bizarre to see that. Yesterday snow only fell during heavish precip of which looks very few and far between at the minute so cant see that materialising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & thunder storms.

pigs might fly, very bizarre to see that. Yesterday snow only fell during heavish precip of which looks very few and far between at the minute so cant see that materialising.

All pigs fed and ready to fly. Just hope they are not to fat for take off :whistling:

Posted

All pigs fed and ready to fly. Just hope they are not to fat for take off :whistling:

Given the current temperatures, how high would a pig have to fly to come back down with snow on it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Given the current temperatures, how high would a pig have to fly to come back down with snow on it?

A good 500 metres :whistling:

Posted

I cant believe the excitement by people in the model discussion thread, theres some very cold temps, but no snow on the horizon. There all saying get the cold here first then the snow will come, but it wont lol. Not for us lot anyway, the people saying that are those that do well from showers, weve already seen we dont get none. Id rather it be mild save on the heating bill.

To add to that the first chance of snow is +300 just when the 850s are about -3 the temps are 2-3c and the dewpoints just above freezing. When ever precip does arrive so does the warm air to ensure we get rain. Not that it will pan out like that cuz its f1. but you can see what would happen, people talking about get the cold air in place, is dog biscuits it gets blown away in a few hours.

Rant over.

ps i noticed it changed my swear word lol

Edited by SnowTornado

Posted

To be fair ST, it would be an almighty cold spell if that were to come off as the models are predicting.

But, what they say is true. If you don't have the cold in the first place, you could easily end up with marginal situations like yesterday.

Some got a good accumulation, whilst others got none (like here, and before you say it, you got more falling snow! :mellow:).

Posted

To be fair ST, it would be an almighty cold spell if that were to come off as the models are predicting.

But, what they say is true. If you don't have the cold in the first place, you could easily end up with marginal situations like yesterday.

Some got a good accumulation, whilst others got none (like here, and before you say it, you got more falling snow! :mellow:).

post-6740-12621912395213_thumb.png

well its intensified shame its rain still.

The thing is even with cold in place, for us to get snow we need a battleground scenario and these days it seems the mild air always comes with any decent precip

Posted

Seen a complete thaw of the 1cm or so of lying snow there was last night so the Wrekin (400 meters high) has been covered in it though walking up in the rain hasn't appealed.

The light rain has now turned into sleet again though so hopefully it will turn to snow and settle before we get a very long spell of Sunny weather whilst the East takee a battering of blizzards the next few days...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Are these forecasters just taking the mick now or what i live in Killamarsh North East Derbyshire and all we have had all day is light rain an abit of sleet what aload of rubbish take there warnings with a pinch of salt the only places that have snow are above 300m!.

Edited by Derbyshire_snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Seen a complete thaw of the 1cm or so of lying snow there was last night so the Wrekin (400 meters high) has been covered in it though walking up in the rain hasn't appealed.

The light rain has now turned into sleet again though so hopefully it will turn to snow and settle before we get a very long spell of Sunny weather whilst the East takee a battering of blizzards the next few days...

It will be back to the pre-Christmas frustration again. Don't be fooled by the excitement in the model thread, most of those excited are on the eastern half.

I do love sunny, cold and frosty weather - but only when the whole country has it, not just our stupid region.

Posted

Are these forecasters just taking the mick now or what i live in Killamarsh North East Derbyshire and all we have had all day is light rain an abit of sleet what aload of rubbish take there warnings with a pinch of salt the only places that have snow are above 300m!.

I thought you went in the Yorkshire thread? Looking good for us in the coming days with the winds turning North Easterly or Easterly :mellow:

Posted

rain here is just becoming sleety again, at abot the same time as last night too, but I think we have a better chance tonight as the uppers are a bit better and the front is already in place we have 1.7'c here atm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

I thought you went in the Yorkshire thread? Looking good for us in the coming days with the winds turning North Easterly or Easterly :cray:

Posted in both my mistake lol! i have just been up to fox house it is plastered id say there has been at leats 5cm fresh snow up there it was bloody freezing the wind was very strong it took my breath away on a few occasions it was very bitter up there the snow line id say is around 300m.

Posted

rain here is just becoming sleety again, at abot the same time as last night too, but I think we have a better chance tonight as the uppers are a bit better and the front is already in place we have 1.7'c here atm

Te front doesnt seem to be going anywhere fast, just need it to intensify to drag the colder air down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Agreed, I think tonight will be a better chance of snow than last night, the uppers go to around -4 for Leicester and Warwickshire after 7-8pm, if the PPN sticks around I would expect a lot of it to turn increasingly to snow.

Posted

Indeed Mark. We were so close, yet so far, on the last easterly spell.

We went to South Lincs over the weekend passed, and there was snow from the east side of Notts, getting worse near Grantham.

Even so, when I travelled up the M1 last week (Tues), the snow was better from jnctn 26, and much better after 28. Can't for the life of me think where Creswell is, but guess you got something decent(ish) before Christmas.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Agreed, I think tonight will be a better chance of snow than last night, the uppers go to around -4 for Leicester and Warwickshire after 7-8pm, if the PPN sticks around I would expect a lot of it to turn increasingly to snow.

Certainly feels cold enough for snow though, the windchill is horrific, and it isn't even that windy!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Bean to Stow in the Wold today (cira 750ft) where it started to snow (very wet) about 5pm, there still got snow

Back here 1.5c warmer cira 3c and just rain and no snow at all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Rain and more rain right now. Would be nice to see a bit more snow before the East bags it all again. :cray:

Posted

Posted in both my mistake lol! i have just been up to fox house it is plastered id say there has been at leats 5cm fresh snow up there it was bloody freezing the wind was very strong it took my breath away on a few occasions it was very bitter up there the snow line id say is around 300m.

Thought it would be good up there! John Holmes was up there earlier and said there was a few cm's up by the Norfolk arms.

Indeed Mark. We were so close, yet so far, on the last easterly spell.

We went to South Lincs over the weekend passed, and there was snow from the east side of Notts, getting worse near Grantham.

Even so, when I travelled up the M1 last week (Tues), the snow was better from jnctn 26, and much better after 28. Can't for the life of me think where Creswell is, but guess you got something decent(ish) before Christmas.

Off Junction 30 on the M1 near the South Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire border :cray: Near Worksop :lol: Yes we did quite well. Had about 5cm in the end :lol:

Posted

As this has been shown a few times on the GFS I thought I would mention it.

A band of snow showers moving S into E Midlands on Friday.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs513.gif

Probably only a small covering but worth mentioning.