Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

As this has been shown a few times on the GFS I thought I would mention it.

A band of snow showers moving S into E Midlands on Friday.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs513.gif

Probably only a small covering but worth mentioning.

Mate I spotted that on the GFS this morning and saw it was still there on 12z, problem is though... UKMO is having none of it by the looks of their charts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

rain here is just becoming sleety again, at abot the same time as last night too, but I think we have a better chance tonight as the uppers are a bit better and the front is already in place we have 1.7'c here atm

So are the uppers that bit colder then tonight??

I have noticed its sleet, depends on how long the ppn is about for ,

there is a chance but im so fed up of clutching at straws its got really depressing . I spend the whole summer waiting for the snow and cold but in reality 9 times out 10 when snow is forecast it changes nearer the time and i have a near miss on my hands again .

I would agree tho maybe we'r the rights side of the occluded front today rather than yesterday .

Comments pls!!!

Edited by shaun wilmer

Posted

As this has been shown a few times on the GFS I thought I would mention it.

A band of snow showers moving S into E Midlands on Friday.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs513.gif

Probably only a small covering but worth mentioning.

Hi Dave.

Still need to view the ensembles on this, as if it is similar to the 06z, the op is on its own.

Also still trying to verify the 850's from yesterday against the GFS Op run. I have a feeling it got it wrong in the end, as it was going for -5oC here, with the other members going for -2 to -3oC.

Could have been the reason for the marginality.

However, yesterday was very complex, but yet should have been simple in its progression.

PPN moving north, cold air coming south. You actually could see it not going according to plan when places like Birmingham were getting snow, yet some of the areas in peaks getting rain/sleet at the same time (both from the occluded front).

I have a feeling that ppn intensity and elevation were not the main factors yesterday, but that either there was mild sectors in the colder air, or the colder air did not penetrate as quickly as thought, and there was some colder sectors in the mild air. Alongside some evaporative cooling, which was not consistent in areas of ppn intensity, it really was a "location, location, location" day.

Even places like Northants and Cambs, which were not really forecast to be effected (either by TV or internet) got something decent out of it.

Perhaps there was also a shift in ppn movement and/or split of the ppn, and/or changes in forecast wind direction.

It really was a nowcast situation.

Posted

Im still rather new to this weather game, so I probably dont know what Im talking about, but Im less optimistic for snow tonight than last night - sure the temps seem a little better but the intensity of precipitation isnt there. Hping to be wrong, but even in the absence of snow am looking forward to the cold spell ahead.

Posted

So are the uppers that bit colder then tonight??

I have noticed its sleet, depends on how long the ppn is about for ,

there is a chance but im so fed up of clutching at straws its got really depressing . I spend the whole summer waiting for the snow and cold but in reality 9 times out 10 when snow id forecast it changes nearer the time and i have a near miss on my hands again .

I would agree the maybe we'r the rights side of the occluded front today rather than yesterday .

Comments pls!!!

I've got a comment for ya Wilmer :)

Where was the 6 inches of snow you predicted for yourself yesterday? I warned you it wouldn't be anywhere near that, next time maybe you should take more notice of what i say :rofl::)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Shouldn't have to wait too long for us to get our fair share of snow. The last few snow events for here have been nothing. As I said yesterday, I'm expecting February to bring us the goods. Never lets me down! :rofl:

February always seems to deliver but i would like something in January aswell like everywhere else! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

I've got a comment for ya Wilmer biggrin.gif

Where was the 6 inches of snow you predicted for yourself yesterday? I warned you it wouldn't be anywhere near that, next time maybe you should take more notice of what i say laugh.giftease.gif

Ok clever dick i get the hint !! I was hope casting and partly saying it to get to ya!! Onwards and upwards now tho m8y!!

Posted

What a wash out last night was. It finally started snowing here in Wolverhampton at around 6.30pm and continued on and off (more on) until about 10.30pm but as the ground as already wet from rain earlier in the day it took a while to settle and it was wet snow anyway.

It did get white over and it looked like a good base for an further snow to accumulate but guess what it all turned to rain and was all washed away by the time I woke and looked out of the window a 8am this morning.

The temp was 0.5'c last night at 10pm and when it started to snow it was around 1.5'c. Temp now is 2'c but feels much colder because of the windchill. If the temp drops like last night then it might start to snow again but it will have no chance to settle as it has been raining here pretty much all day with a temp of around 2.4'c for most of the day. I fear another repeat of last night I'm afraid but this time with less or no snow at all.

Posted

Ok clever dick i get the hint !! I was hope casting and partly saying it to get to ya!! Onwards and upwards now tho m8y!!

:rofl: You know i'm only messing anyway, I would have loved to have seen the whole of the Midlands pasted last night, instead I got about 10mm of rain and I bet you did too. Midlands is crap for snow most of the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

yahoo.gif

We will be in the top 6 at the end of the season.laugh.gif

Better change my sig.

Be careful what you wish for...

MEGSON IS GOD! :rofl:

Posted

I expect to see some snow reports in here soon, especially ground above 150m who have PPN at the moment, within the next 2 hours I think it will turn as long as it doesen't die out!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

I expect to see some snow reports in here soon, especially ground above 150m who have PPN at the moment, within the next 2 hours I think it will turn as long as it doesen't die out!

I've got temp of 1.6 and dewpoint of 0.5 so a tiny bit warmer than this time yesterday, so I'm pretty resigned to rain unless the showers really beef up in intensity. No big let down for me this evening, I'm pessimistic to begin with.

Anyone seem Ollie Williams on Family Guy - "It's gorn rain!" :drunk:

Edited by dvdfjojo

Posted

I've got temp of 1.6 and dewpoint of 0.5 so a tiny bit warmer than this time yesterday, so I'm pretty resigned to rain unless the showers really beef up in intensity. No big let down for me this evening, I'm pessimistic to begin with.

Wow you are only 30m higher than me and my temp is 3.1 with a dew of 1.3 lol.

Posted

Whats this???

Something that gets said everyday in the model thread yet by the time it arrives it always turns out like the last 36 hours..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

But it IS dying out quite quickly isnt it? I thought it was pepping up a bit an hour or so ago and stalling like yesterday but it seems to be quickly burning itself out now!

Posted

I went to the Malvern Hills yesterday afternoon to witness the snow event. Can anyone on here explain why West Malvern got about two inches or more snow, whilst the Wyche Inn at Upper Wyche got hardly any settling snow at all? It seemed the Malverns acted as a barrier to the easterly wind and somehow set-up a process which turned the sleety snow to snow proper.

Also, quite oddly it seemed the lower ground to the west in Herefordshire had settling snow as well, whilst the lower Severn Valley to the east got nothing.

Edited by Thundersquall

Posted

January is normally meh for snowfall, just like December. But I suppose this month hasn't been too bad, and BFTP does talk of a vicious snowstorm that's meant to be on the way soon! :wallbash:

apparently away from the midlands and wales :lol:

Edited by azores92

Posted

But it IS dying out quite quickly isnt it? I thought it was pepping up a bit an hour or so ago and stalling like yesterday but it seems to be quickly burning itself out now!

Surprisingly yes :wallbash: I would put money on any PPN still around in the Midlands by 10-11pm will be snow though. Even if it's light PPN.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Something that gets said everyday in the model thread yet by the time it arrives it always turns out like the last 36 hours..

LOL very funny but unfortunately very true :wallbash:

Posted

LOL very funny but unfortunately very true :lol:

I am boreddddd

*Turns on Cannock sized hairdryer and makes your air temperature go to 20c :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

so its back to looking into FI again for possible snow, felt mild today really, roll on tomorrow night for the cold air and sub zero nights, the low on 3-4 Jan looks to be trending north, but looked better on the 06Z, a one to keep an eye on?

because really its cold and dry from tomorrow for the forseeable future

my prediction for January 2010, snowless for Stafford, one of the coldest January's ever, infact memerorable legendary snow wise for the UK in general :wallbash:

Posted

Looking forwards to Friday , the Models seem to suggest PPN traveling well in Land . Hopefully this time they will be of Snow for Leicester.