Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Why have the BBC not updated their online video forecast for Kent since Wednesday?:lol:

I noticed that earlier , we need updates STAT!

Posted
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany
  • Location: Bishop's Stortford in England and Klingenmünster in Germany

ame='yamkin' date='02 January 2010 - 20:53 ' timestamp='1262465618' post='1691571']

Nicely put :lol:

This used to be my job, and I now have quite a lot of experience of the different style with winter highway maintenance in Europe. I put a longer mail up last year on this, but basically the differences are:

1) most colder continental countries require that you have winter tyres on your car (so you have two sets, one for summer and one for winter) that require at least 5 mm tread. Take a look at most UK car tyres and you will see they have less than this tread and are a summer/wet weather profile.

2) hilly/mountainous areas/countries require that you carry snow chains.

3) in the UK we use rock salt as a combination of grit for adhesion, and de-icer.

4) usually on the continent a liquid, or crystaline de-icer is used for major routes as rock salt itself freezes in harder frosts. I cannot remember the numbers but I think below about -10 (which is standard in many parts of Europe in winter) it is not so good.

5) on everything except motorways and A routes, most continental countries only plough off the loose snow leaving a compacted snow/ice base. They then sling down pure grit (3 to 5 mm little pebbles) onto this which are adequate to get adhesion on when spread onto compacted snow/ice. You are expected to be able to drive on this.

Part of the reason that (some) continental countries only de-ice major routes is the environmental damage that rock-salt does when it gets into the water courses. In some places, once the snow has melted and grit is left on the roads, this is swept up, returned to the depot, washed and then re-used next winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

How frustrating,thats a shame,afterall you do live in kent which seems to get its fair share of snow events,i think you missed out in feb last year too? Only a few miles away in s.e london at the time and got dumped on,could not believe the amount of snow......anyway fingers crossed for you!

i empathise with neil south, new year day was nice and lots of snow till gritters killed it. and we had one day of snow april 2008 i think here in lyminge.. but compared to the rest of the country it always seems to miss us and be so near but yet so far. could not believe the amount just north from ashford a few weeks back and absolutely nothing here. i like seeing the ranting but always get tremendously disappointed. and the news locally says weather chaos - 200 schools closed across kent etc - and we have zilch! RANT over ! lol

Posted

I don't think any places have, Because the local news don't work over public holidays!

otowuh.jpg

They do , but it wasn't updated on the webby so i've no idea about the entire forecast

Posted

When I did biology I can't recall there being any damaging effects of salt on the environment as most of the salt is either collected again and reused in some countries or runs of into rivers and enters the water cycle. It certainly doesn't do any damage to the atmosphere as salt isn't an airbourne substance. If anything it's worse for the asphalt it's dropped on as it can wear the surface down due to the agents added to it.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

Why have the BBC not updated their online video forecast for Kent since Wednesday?:yahoo:

maybe the presenter is snowed in :unknw:

Posted

Lets talk about the weather now and not about salt and Gritt lol,and if the person from norway wants to join our chat then they will have to behave themselves and not diss us and our countryblum.gif

Posted

If they are the size of an ant :yahoo:

well look what happend to Mike Tv he was small after being on tv ! :unknw:

Current data for Linslade

02 January 2010 21:45:56

Temperature (°C):

Current 1.5

Trend (per hour) +0.1

Average today 1.2

Wind chill 1.5

Heat Index 1.5

Dew Point 0.2

Rel Humidity 91%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 2.2 NW

Average Speed 0.0 NW

Pressure (mb):

Current 1018.2

Trend (per hour) +0.5

Posted

well look what happend to Mike Tv he was small after being on tv ! :unknw:

Current data for Linslade

02 January 2010 21:45:56

Temperature (°C):

Current 1.5

Trend (per hour) +0.1

Average today 1.2

Wind chill 1.5

Heat Index 1.5

Dew Point 0.2

Rel Humidity 91%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 2.2 NW

Average Speed 0.0 NW

Pressure (mb):

Current 1018.2

Trend (per hour) +0.5

Definitely think we should move back to the weather.:yahoo:

Posted

BREAKING NEWS

weather news weather man just said north and the east coast cab expect snow showers for the most of sunday and by Tuesday most of the east could expect up 20 CMS and this is before Wednesday event

Edited by tinybill

Posted

Sky News Weather said a Snow event on Tuesday and it looks like the SE included in this and the B.B.C. say snow showers, why does the forecast differ so much?

Philip Avery on the BBC forecast I saw a few mins ago quoted that the Tuesday the band of snow "could produce up to 20cm in Eastern areas"

Posted

look at the latest GFS its moved the heavy ppcn from tuesday night to thursday more south east, with some heavy looking ppcn on the south coast, yess including brighton

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=nwdc;sess= from t+78

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

Obviously things are hotting up for next week. I think that by next weekend the majority of the country will be covered in the white stuff. Our region could well get a serious pasting!

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Yes, but this is what we already know. It is just being made more official on television.

The area that they are highlighting is many parts of East Anglia and all eastern counties northwards to Northumberland and Durham. Basically the areas already highlighted on the watch/advisory

Clearly with the BBC presenters now broadcasting it they are very confident for those areas.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Just seen the B.B.C. News 24 Weather forecast it's beginning to look very interesting from Tuesday onwards at last they have read this forum. :lol:

It always looks good from Tuesday onwards. A bit like free beer tomorrow!

Posted

otowuh.jpg

They do , but it wasn't updated on the webby so i've no idea about the entire forecast

Hi Neilsouth,

did they mention the south east may see snow showers tommorow afternoon and eve?

Posted

cold.gif

Hi Neilsouth,

did they mention the south east may see snow showers tommorow afternoon and eve?

london can expect snow showers on sunday he said a thames streamer so he must be one of uscold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Posted

Hi Neilsouth,

Sorry mate , it was a rather blink and youll miss it forecast... they really don't want to go beyond early afternoon tomorrow

Tinybill , i hate thames streamers.... they are so localised , kent streamers affect ALOT more people even EA

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

Easterly with strong winds next Saturday on this chart, this would blow snow showers well inland:

post-10203-12624706739613_thumb.png

Posted

Yes, but this is what we already know. It is just being made more official on television.

The area that they are highlighting is many parts of East Anglia and all eastern counties northwards to Northumberland and Durham. Basically the areas already highlighted on the watch/advisory

Clearly with the BBC presenters now broadcasting it they are very confident for those areas.

Typical I missed it!. Did they happen to include essex in the effected regions as i hear lots of posts about kent and Northeast anglia but nothing much about essex over the next few days.