Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Posted

Bit harsh, if you hate the Uk so much why don't you a Norway weather forum.

The truth is we don't need to invest a lot of money into something which rarely happens. We have many people over here who can't drive properly in the snow but how much practice do we get? It's nice to see someone from abroad who is so understanding and knowledgeable about the British way of life. Did I detect a touch of arrogance in your message Publis? No surely not, you aren't from Britain but from a place where everything seems to be black or white

Posted

i thought this was about the cold weather ,dont give a crap about salt or driving so ........

Current data for Linslade

02 January 2010 20:51:08

Temperature (°C):

Current 1.1

Trend (per hour) -0.1

Average today 1.2

Wind chill 1.1

Heat Index 1.1

Dew Point -0.3

Rel Humidity 90%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 3.8 NW

Average Speed 1.6 NW

Pressure (mb):

Current 1017.6

Trend (per hour) +0.5

Posted

Is it meant to snow here in the SE tonight? Just seen the Netweather forecast and it says snow!

Posted

Is it meant to snow here in the SE tonight? Just seen the Netweather forecast and it says snow!

The band which is currently over Yorkshire will probably become weaker as it heads south, I cant see much falling in our region

Posted

Hi, Im from Norway, well at least I lived there for 12 years back in the 70's 80's. It makes me laugh out loud when I read the English moaning about the problems they have with snow. Its quite simple to fix really. I could tell you in one paragraph how to cope with it and fix the prolbem. So I will. :shok:

01. You use the WRONG salt. You have to use a mix of salt and GRIT. We do use a mixture of salt & grit Why ? Because you have the wrong tyupe of snow in UK.

You have Wet snow which melts during the day and turns to ice in at the night. You need the GRIT in the salt which breaks up the ice when you drives on it. And then the salt melts it. We do know this, thanks anyway

02 You put TONNES of salt down before the snow is forecast, but it usually rains first and then turns to snow after. Sometimes this happens due to the forecast from the MetO. We rely on the MetO This is a waste of time. Are you English really stupid? We English are proud and great, but not Stupid. You have to put salt and grit as the snow is falling, the rain will wash the salt into the draiins beore the snow comes. Very true, and guess what, we do know that.

03 You are too arogant and impatient. There's another 'R' in your 'arogant You drive before the gritters get to all roads and becaue english (missing a 'S' in your becaue) people are very bad drivers you have a skid or an accident on the road, then the gritter gets stick and cant put the salt and grit down. Oh my, if the public are not warned of heavy snow and they are on their way home during rush hour, please explain what they do. I do admit that there are a few who drive around in a crazy fashion. This happens in other countries too.

The salt and grit is expensive but because you are now a ppoor country your councils are saving monety so they dont buy the salt and grit combination. Never knew there were two 'P's' in your ppoor! And never knew there was a 'T' in your monety! You don't say, Salt and grit is expensive. If we are a poor country, why are you here criticising? All businesses have a duty to save money, that's economics. We have sufficient quantity of salt and grit here in Croydon and guess what, the budget is doing just fine

OK so you have bad luck with Wet snow. ( If you have powder snow its so easy like we have as you can blow it from the roads

with snow plows ). But your real problem is too tight with money, and also that you are bad drivers. you blame the governments but its your own fault :)Norway does have bad drivers too: Norwegians are rude and aggressive drivers with bad manners, a survey concludes http://africanpress.wordpress.com/2008/04/04/norwegians-are-rude-and-aggressive-drivers-with-bad-manners-a-survey-concludes/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow; Thunderstorms; Heat Waves

I'm starting to get bored by this model discussion. Snow in 4 days. 4 days later, oh no snow in 3 days don't worry. 3 days later still no snow. It seems that the whole of the country just received some kind of precipitation except for me and similar areas. Can please someone just tell me when i should suspect to see some snow or will it still be 4 days away?

Same here. I keep seeing people posting up charts 'oh, look at this at +192!!' seemingly oblivious to the fact that time passes with every hour? Presumably, as it gets closer to +0, their little charts look crap so not interested in it anymore - must find more rubbish to post up. People trying to be a bit too clever I think.

I think more time should be spent concentrating on what's going to happen upto a maximum of +72hrs, and less guessing on the rubbish 7/8/9 days away (which as we all know seems to change in one way or another on every single GFS run!) If a super computer can't work it all out, then doesn't that say something?

Posted

May well get some light snowfall from the weakness falling down from the north.

And yeah, it's getting a bit tiring reading through posts of people expressing their obsession with cars and roads. If the roads are dangerous, do what we used to do, use those things called legs. Evolution wouldn't of put them there if they were used to pollute the air and damage the environment.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

Ive seen a bit of joe b on accuweather seems to know his stuff ,is he a cold ramper,over hype type forecaster,have many of his claims come true ? what people think of this forecast he has made?

Joe B got the last winter spot on and a few months ago predicted that we would have a very cold winter. He does seem to be a winter ramper, but he always ramps in all weather conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Just seen the B.B.C. News 24 Weather forecast it's beginning to look very interesting from Tuesday onwards at last they have read this forum. :p

Just saw BBC weather, Phil Avery showing a band of snow moving south on tuesday, looks like it could affect our region. Not sure how much ppn will be left on the front by then, might be relatively light, but will have to wait and see nearer the time.

EDIT: Also doesnt look like the really cold air will dig in until monday here. Temps still showed 4c tomorrow for the SE and 1c on monday.

Edited by danm

Posted

Just saw BBC weather, Phil Avery showing a band of snow moving south on tuesday, looks like it could affect our region. Not sure how much ppn will be left on the front by then, might be relatively light, but will have to wait and see nearer the time.

EDIT: Also doesnt look like the really cold air will dig in until monday here. Temps still showed 4c tomorrow for the SE and 1c on monday.

Well I should imagine they are gradually building us up to the biggest Snow event since 1963-4 Winter, let this be known as the armageddon Winter of 2009-10, all the 5 cm of Snow.:p

Edited by Blizzard_of_Oz

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

I was just want to see snow covering my patio outside the front door(side of bungalow) , in the last 5 years i've lived here i've never seen that happen...

Edited by neilsouth

Posted

ok, tonights feature is very weak as it moves south, so don't expect much, if anything. all eyes are on tuesday's cold front. the main thing is that we will shortly be in entrenched cold, the like of which has been a rarity in recent years. snowcasting is going to remain difficult. that is its way annoyingly. my interest is actually in the atlantic battle back, and whether the southwest and south wales is dumped with epic snow. time will tell

Posted

ame='yamkin' date='02 January 2010 - 20:53 ' timestamp='1262465618' post='1691571']

Nicely put :lol:

Indeed what a total and utter tit oh and how about racist as well are all English poor and bad drivers? hmmmm not amused

Oh and BTW to the original poster all of that is more than one paragraph

Edited by Rich44

Posted

How many parts will this thread have by the end of the cold spell :lol:

Hopefully most if not all!

Posted

im the same as alot of people believe it wen i see laying snow lol just cant see it hope im wrong!!

What are you talking about, there is laying snow in beccles! Not to mention we have had light snow for the last 3 hours solid.

Edited by ribster

Posted

I was just want to see snow covering my patio outside the front door(side of bungalow) , in the last 5 years i've lived here i've never seen that happen...

How frustrating,thats a shame,afterall you do live in kent which seems to get its fair share of snow events,i think you missed out in feb last year too? Only a few miles away in s.e london at the time and got dumped on,could not believe the amount of snow......anyway fingers crossed for you!