Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Posted

Had light snow on and off all afternoon, with some heavier showers at times, all good stuff!!

Hi are you or anyone near Reedham? Southernman is working the 6-10 shift again and we are wondering about conditions for him going and coming back.

Posted

A point I want to make (Thanks to TWS for this info)

Usually -5C 850Hpa Uppers or lower gives wintry PPN. But today has been a mix. The Uppers today were below -5C, but it was more of a wintry mix. Usually -8C Uppers or below will give 100% snow. The -10C Upper line is due to be over our region by tomorrow morning, so all PPN from tomorrow will be snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

A point I want to make (Thanks to TWS for this info)

Usually -5C 850Hpa Uppers or lower gives wintry PPN. But today has been a mix. The Uppers today were below -5C, but it was more of a wintry mix. Usually -8C Uppers or below will give 100% snow. The -10C Upper line is due to be over our region by tomorrow morning, so all PPN from tomorrow will be snow

It does seem to have gotten a bit too mild this afternoon for my liking.

Posted

Today was always going to be a little milder because the airmass currently isn't quite as cold as yesterdays or the one thats coming down next week, winds coming off the Irish Sea and also a weak warm sector and good sunshine levels has allowed temps to widely get upto 3-5C in the south...

Anyway now the sun is going down places which are clear will see temps fall away rather fast.

Posted

Another heavy band of ppn about to hit me - sky is very dark. Will it be rain or snow? My money's on rain

Posted

I can see cloud appearing over the North Downs now, wonder what it'll bring :D This is the last winter I will be able to see the weather appearing over the Downs they are building a housing estate at the bottom of my garden :)

Posted

Just got back in and this afternoon a decent 30min spell of snow in Spalding (20miles N of Peterborough). Currently its a bit sleety due to the precip losing its intensity. Still a lovely surprise this afternoon.

Posted

Just got back in and this afternoon a decent 30min spell of snow in Spalding (20miles N of Peterborough). Currently its a bit sleety due to the precip losing its intensity. Still a lovely surprise this afternoon.

Same happened here too, the weaker PPN gave more sleet than snow, and the heaviest gave me a slight covering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

just thinking if next week is ment for the worst winter weather for 20-30 years how come met office hasn't put out more warnings

Posted

Dont always belive in the radar. Its been showing rain/snow here for the last hour, and not a drop of it, in fact there is more blue sky than clouds...

Posted

just thinking if next week is ment for the worst winter weather for 20-30 years how come met office hasn't put out more warnings

At the moment they are advisories and they may issue their first warnings tomorrow, undoubtly for most of the region

Posted

The met office are always frightend to put their money where their mouth is: And have you noticed, schools closed, major roads closed, people cant get to work, trains not running . yet the reporters/t.v. crews are allways there..

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Your region will undoubtably get warnings in due course. Probably by tomorrow. Southern parts of the region are going to have to wait till after midweek but that is pending a cold easterly evolving.

The bulk of the snow is reserved for the north and east, so you should be fine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

The met office are always frightend to put their money where their mouth is: And have you noticed, schools closed, major roads closed, people cant get to work, trains not running . yet the reporters/t.v. crews are allways there..

yeah i agree..tv crews always make it how does that work...always make me laugh that 1000s of schools can close because teachers cant get into work,but i have too otherwise i dont get paid

Posted

Dont always belive in the radar. Its been showing rain/snow here for the last hour, and not a drop of it, in fact there is more blue sky than clouds...

Yup we've had a whole snow band crossing over us now, and not one drop/ flake. Frustrating when your waiting to be under the band whats not even there !!!

wonder if Colchester got anything looked very dark towards that area a hour ago

Never mind lets hope for more this next weekdrinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

Ha ha LOL yes the reporters allways make it ! maybe they should give the schools some tips on how to drive in the snow.

Posted

There are reports that a record low temperature could be recorded next week..anybody know what the record is ..?????????

In England -26.1C In Newport, Shropshire on the 10th Jan 1982

Around this region I would guess -13 , -14C

Edited by Snowman0697

Guest FireStorm

There are reports that a record low temperature could be recorded next week..anybody know what the record is ..?????????

England -26.1°C (10 January 1982 Newport Shropshire)

I think we will have along way to go to hit that

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/extremes/

Edit: oops just got beaten by SnowMan lol

Edited by FireStorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

yeah i agree..tv crews always make it how does that work...always make me laugh that 1000s of schools can close because teachers cant get into work,but i have too otherwise i dont get paid

Well said ! Same for me no work no pay,if those rules applied to everyone i think people would make more of an effort to get to work.

Posted

Yup we've had a whole snow band crossing over us now, and not one drop/ flake. Frustrating when your waiting to be under the band whats not even there !!!

wonder if Colchester got anything looked very dark towards that area a hour ago

Never mind lets hope for more this next weekdrinks.gif

Nope nothing here - no precip at all, and temps and dew points way too high for snow, even if anything fell.

Posted

Just back from a trip to Sandringham after expecting a stroll in the sun

Side roads around Aylsham were white and very slippery, seemed to have had something overnight as very few tyre tracks about

Arrived Sandringham about 1230, plenty of snow around the estate roads, snow started around 1400 and continued in to Kings Lynn

Was going to go shopping there but it was getting quite nasty around 1445 ish and drove back to Norwich

Snow sleet on and off all the way down A47 at Swaffham the outside lane was white, not trafficked at all. Closer to Norwich much more patchy although still around as far as the county showground

Strangely, in my side road, the road is drying and my footpath is completely dry

Posted

YEP. I found that temperature correct. And on the same day a U.K. record was recorded at Bbaemar/ Grampions -27.2...AND ..

The lowest temperature ever recorded in the world was in Vostok on July 21st in 1983, which recorded a temperature of MINUS eighty nine degrees. Oh MY THATS COLD

Posted

Looks like we could get hammered with snow towards the end of next week as a ENE/E flow with plenty of North Sea Convection on GFS 12z:

post-10203-12624492517713_thumb.png

Like I said a few hours ago if these charts pull off then places could see a foot of snowfall!

And theres Tuesday and Wednesday aswell for snow!

Exciting times ahead!

Edited by Snowman0697