Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion Part 21

Posted

Had a cm of slush on the roads and grass/roofs white after about an hour of intermittant heavy snow. Too warm to settle at the moment but if more snow arrives later I think it could be interesting

Posted

Thanks you guys who are reporting to the north west of Harwich e.g Ipswich, Newmarket, Cambs etc. Gives me a feel what is heading towards me. Temp is now 3c but expecting it to drop if it gets overcast at all and thankfully dew point still below 0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

Norwich looks like might miss all the action :-(

Posted

I wouldnt worry too much if you dont see snow today, this was totally unexpected. The real action takes place next week, if some of the current charts pull off in their current position then some places could see a foot of snow and possibly even more!

Posted

A lot of the snow we had on new years eve night had melted by midday today but temp is starting to drop now and it has been snowing lightly on and off for almost an hour. Some flakes being HUGE.

Janet

Posted

I wouldnt worry too much if you dont see snow today, this was totally unexpected. The real action takes place next week, if some of the current charts pull off in their current position then some places could see a foot of snow and possibly even more!

:lol: :lol: :shok: :shok: :huh::excl::excl::excl::excl:

My thoughts after you said that. :lol:

Edited by saint

Posted

:lol: :lol: :shok: :shok: :huh::excl::excl::excl::excl:

My thoughts after you said that. :lol:

Im still stunned after one chart yesterday! A very interesting week for snow it has to be said and it will be colder by tomorrow. We will see though. I will be back on later in time for another model update....

Posted

I wouldn't worry too much if you don't see snow today, this was totally unexpected. The real action takes place next week, if some of the current charts pull off in their current position then some places could see a foot of snow and possibly even more!

were i came from there and old country saying if the first lot don't go it waiting for the next lot after 2 weeks its siting in heaps around the place with the models as they are next week for us is looking very interesting!!! and very coldcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

last 5mins got dark and light rain temp is 3c

Posted

hahaha :D . So Saint, what do you think our best chance of snow is in this coming week as we live in pretty similar positions. cc_confused.giflaugh.gif

I'm not really sure mate, we are in relatively same positions yeah! I don't really know as I have not been looking at the models at the moment so.......

Posted

Norwich looks like might miss all the action :-(

should be in norwich in an hour or so

well its coming down A14

its at bury st edmunds at the moment

Edited by tinybill

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

were i came from there and old country saying if the first lot don't go it waiting for the next lot after 2 weeks its siting in heaps around the place with the models as they are next week for us is looking very interesting!!! and very coldcold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

That old country saying certainly held true for here — even on Wednesday this last week there were still strips of snow lying on north-facing shady banks. Interesting winter so far and such a contrast to autumn (dry as a bone in October and warm, wet in November and warm and no frosts at all) — I'm a believer in Mother Nature balancing herself weather-wise.

Posted

It's taking a bit longer than I thought to come south, but that's good for my area and south of here as it will give temps a chance to fall before the band arrives, albeit weaker than it is now there should be a chance of a covering for most of our region.

Also promising is the trough which is currently over northwest England. It's pretty slow moving but it has some decent precip rates. Hopefully it can retain this nature as it reaches us overnight into tomorrow morning.

Edited by Tommyd1258

Posted

Hi,

Just a quick note to let you know that it's snowing here and has been for about 20 mins.

It is fairly heavy and everything has a covering (even the road that was wet beforehand).

Edited by coffee23

Posted

am i right in thinking that the huge low to the SW off cornwall will stop anything settling as it seems to be holding back the low from the north coming down any further south ,if any one makes sence of that :unknw:

Posted

Hi,

Just a quick note to let you know that it's snowing here and has been for about 20 mins.

It is fairly heavy and everything has a covering (even the road that was wet beforehand).

so hopefully hitting us shortly

Posted

It's good to hear that some people have had a bit of the white stuff - enjoy!

Two lovely days here since the rain cleared up. Two slight frosts for the last two nights and lovely blue sky and sunshine. No snow at all (in fact slightly warmer here today than yesterday by a degree or so up to 4C).

Certainly nice but not quite the biting cold I was expecting by now and quite hard to imagine how wintry some places must be.

Can't complain though and we did quite well out of the snow before Christmas.

Posted

Its warmed up a fair bit here in the last hour or so. :cray:

All morning it has been clear blue skies with frost and the sprinkling of snow we got on new years eve, now its clouded over and the ice and snow has all but melted!! Currently sitting @ 3.0c with a DP of 0c.

I can't see us getting anything tonight either looking at the direction of the band currently over the NE.

Matt. :unknw:

Posted

looking at the forcast for the middle end of the week weatheronline sums up nicley

Snow for most of the country, especially in the southeast

The cold weather stays with us throughout the coming week. There will be bands of cloud and snow slipping southwards at times. The main threats are going to be Tuesday through early Wednesday for much of the country, and then increasingly across southeast England through Thursday and Friday when significant falls could occur.

Wednesday 6/1/10

Cold throughout the day. There will be some sunny spells around, the best of them ton the west. Low pressure in the North Sea will be continuing to feed snow showers onto eastern coasts. Highs around 1 to 5C.

awa_2.gif Thursday 7/1/10

The threat of a more significant snowfall through East Anglia, the eastern Midlands and southeast England overnight and into Thursday. This could give several centimetres of snow in places. Still snow showers on eastern coasts of Scotland, as well as Northern Ireland. The best of any sunshine again in the west. Cold with temperatures at 0 to 3C.

awa_3.gif Friday 8/1/10

East Anglia and southeast England are again at risk of some snow through the early part of the day, although this tending to fade away. Cold and dry to the north and west with the best of any sunshine here. Highs around 1 to 5C.

awa_4.gif Saturday 9/1/10

High pressure is expected to build through much of the country today. This brings a severe frost for the morning, but also some fine, sunny weather for many during the day. The threat still of a snow showers in the southeast. Highs of 0 to 4C.

Sunday 10/1/10

Yet another area of more persistent snow could trouble the southeast quarter of the country through today. Generally though it is going to be a cold, bright and dry day to the north and west. Highs of -1C in northern Scotland, 4C in southwest England.

Posted

Well convective outlook is good for something interesting tomorrow night.

ukcapeli.png

Showers look to build up in the Estuary and be pushed inland on a slack NNE. If you get caught under one it wont be moving anywhere quick. Essex and anywhere south of the Thames are the places to be in this event. Unfortunately those of us north of the river and in the home counties may have to wait a few more days.