Dew Point -0.5

Rel Humidity 83%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 3.1 NE

Average Speed 0.0 ENE

Pressure (mb):

Current 1016.0

Trend (per hour) 0.0

temp is dropping nicely after the clear day ,could be good for snow to settle later

Posted

A very good run from the 12z GFS today, several fairly large snowfall events from Wednesday-Sunday according to this run...most of the country would get snow, I'd imagine down here 10-20cms would fall quite widely over that time period along with a fair number of Ice days as well for that period.

VERY good run guys...

Posted

The met office are always frightend to put their money where their mouth is: And have you noticed, schools closed, major roads closed, people cant get to work, trains not running . yet the reporters/t.v. crews are allways there..

Reporters/TV crews have it easy--they simply stick to the main roads and report from wherever they get stuck. Simples.

Temp 2.7C in Slough and falling fast.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.

GFS 12Z is great for E Anglia/Kent, N/ELY,-10 uppers,long sea track, big snow showers merging in to longer periods of snow from weds.

Posted

GFS frankly incredible, a reload of the Easterly eventually! The first snow showers should start moving in during Tuesday and it will very interesting from there onwards, with longer spells of snow on Wednesday, Then a ENE/E with huge amounts of convection and really cold Uppers maybe as low as -13C, loads of snow showers would pile in!

Posted

GFS 12Z is great for E Anglia/Kent, N/ELY,-10 uppers,long sea track, big snow showers merging in to longer periods of snow from weds.

i was reading the maim model area early the clever ones on there were saying the north the east and south east could be like Armageddon by the end of the week hope they are right!!

Posted

An amazing run for the 8th on the UKMO as well FWIW, a strong easterly airflow and thickness not far off 510, probably -10/12s coming into the SE+EA as well...this is increasingly looking like being an even more extreme version of last December's set-up, colder airflow and therefore more snow?

Regardless your not going to get a much snowy/colder outlook in the short and long term then the UKMO/GFS runs tonight...

Posted

yeah i agree..tv crews always make it how does that work...always make me laugh that 1000s of schools can close because teachers cant get into work,but i have too otherwise i dont get paid

Yeah. Weird. Getting to work will be fun for me if we get what is forcast. I rely on the busses which will be completely messed up! Atleast I work in a shop, so if I do get in, it will be quiet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

The met office are always frightend to put their money where their mouth is: And have you noticed, schools closed, major roads closed, people cant get to work, trains not running . yet the reporters/t.v. crews are allways there..

I had an e-mail alert from the Met Office earlier, Flash Warning issued at 16:05 for Icy Roads in MK - saying sleet and snow saturday evening and ice on untreated surfaces. I think they will regularly update these warnings as events unfold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

i was reading the maim model area early the clever ones on there were saying the north the east and south east could be like Armageddon by the end of the week hope they are right!!

The important thing is it could be, would be nice but I believe percipitation isn't very accurate beyond 12-24 hours, especially snow.

Still my understanding is that each model run is showing the same thing as we move closer to the events which suggests these things are more likely to happen then not.

I go back to work Monday, kids back to school Tuesday, the way things are going in the model thread we will be back on holiday by Wednesday.

Only time will tell.

Posted

I hope the B.B.C. dont use your description of the possible Snow event of next week or they will be panic in the SE lol.:mellow:

Posted

quite stunningly scary,

i put this in the model section if this happens nouthing will move!!

post-4629-12624507548613_thumb.png

Posted

The Met Office regional forecast for the South East seems to have downgraded the Snow for tonight and tomorrow with only northern parts of the region likely to see a few cms, whereas as this mornings forecast mentioned the risk of a few cms possible across the whole region. Nevermind, if this evenings Meto and GFS charts come off, there will be plenty of opportunities for everyone during the coming week to see some snow!

:mellow:

Posted

I had an e-mail alert from the Met Office earlier, Flash Warning issued at 16:05 for Icy Roads in MK - saying sleet and snow saturday evening and ice on untreated surfaces. I think they will regularly update these warnings as events unfold.

they are out gritting the roads in Leighton buzzard and its getting very cold and cloudy ,i think it might snow sometime tonight

Posted

by the looks of the GFS

tonight: some snow for E.A

sunday night: showers for s.e except E.A

tuesday: showers for E.A

wednesday:showers for all S.E

thursday: showers for E.A

thursday night- sunday showers or longer spells of snow for whole S.E

Posted

There are reports that a record low temperature could be recorded next week..anybody know what the record is ..?????????

Hi

Not in a position to say what the the record is,I will leave that to the experts, but I was working outside at the Sellindge Converter station during the 84/85 winter when it dropped to -25C.Your breath turned to ice crystals.

I would rather have record snow than record cold temps :mellow:

Posted

I know the MetO/BBC aren't going for any snow to the south of London for tonight, but I have to say they didn't forecast the ppn as widely as it has fallen today from the central trough, and the showers now moving across Wales def have a more southerly track than the earlier ones.

Just got to hope they don't fade as the temps drop fast overnight.

SS

Posted

Hi everyone, my first post, but i thought i would just mention that its been snowing here in diss south norfolk now for a good couple of hours, was patchy earlier and not settling, but as soon as the sun went down, started to settle. got about 1cm at the mo and still snowing moderately, which makes a change for here in central EA, as usually the rest of EA gets several inches and all we get is rain, such as last feb, which nearly drove me insaine as a few miles to the west of me got over 8 inches! and also the other week, only got 2" at the most, where again in the west, most got at leist double that. infact while im having a moan, i havent seen more than 2" in this part of the region for over ten years as we ALWAYS just clip the edge of the main event, or are just slightly too warm etc etc.

so, i will be very surprised if next week turns out to be anything special here, i expect by the time tues/weds gets here, most of the real snow will be reserved for just north of EA, or just south, around Kent or Essex, or the west as it usually does. nonono.gif

I know some people have had even less than me this year such as kent, but im not feeling too bad as everywhere except central/east EA over the last couple of years have done quite well.

But anyway, enough of the whining, so far this winter seems to be on the right track and i really do hope those charts for next week do not change greatly, (unfortunatly though im sure they will as the main snow event for us is later next week and the way the charts have been recently, that, in my opinion is still way out in FI).

Also, Happy New Year to all!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

they are out gritting the roads in Leighton buzzard and its getting very cold and cloudy ,i think it might snow sometime tonight

Up to an hour ago they were still out collecting the refuse and re cycling here, think they might go back and swap the bin lorries for gritters and come round again later !