IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

A very snowy 4+ days ahead according to dear

Paul Hudson a few mins ago.

BL :whistling:

Posted

Too much emphesis on dew points here I think, I really can't see this been anything but snow TBH - I love enthusiasm of the younger members - and putting a lot of faith in CG models, then just using what is available to hand and eye, I hope that the chaps that are under say 38 yrs old get to witness what some of us older lot did back in the late 70's and mid eighty's all to play for without fail IMHO :whistling:

The reason why is emphasize on the dew points is because its the only thing that's not clear, the thickness (dam) 500-1000 is fine, the surface temps are fine, as is the 850's.

What im looking forward to Wednesday/Thursday is we will be under 512 to 513 DAM, with the 510 dam line just the NE in the North Sea, this shows just how cold the uppers really are, and i think convective showers will be fantastic.

It's very rare for thickness like that in the U.K.

Lewis

Posted

BL :unsure:

I didn't see it BL, but I'm sure he'd have enjoyed presenting that forecast. Paul Hudson is fantastic :whistling:

Posted

BL :cold:

Hi Bev Lass,

Whats your name so i don't have to keep calling you a lass from Bev :yahoo:

When you watched the forecast, did it show any rain?? lol

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I would say the worst for over 10 years, nearly 20 years=back to 1991, possibly longer, both in terms of temperature and snowfall for many parts of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire and Derbyshire.

That is in persistence of the cold - mean temperatures hovering around zero C every day, and with falls of snow somewhere in the 3 counties mentioned almost every day from tonight out to Friday.

Cheers John. I'll prepare myself, take warm clothing, shovel and a flask. My employers probably won't let us go home early so best look after myself. Luckily the car has 2 tanks as it's LPG/Petrol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - storms, tornadoes, snow

Lewis

From what I can remember, it showed all snow, but Paul talked about a "freezing rain, sleet and snow mix".

Posted

Hi Bev Lass,

Whats your name so i don't have to keep calling you a lass from Bev :good:

Lewis

Hi Lewis, :)

Just call be BL if you like.

As someone else answered, Paul mentioned freezing rain, sleet

and snow, but the graphics showed it as snow.

And yes, Brian, he does enjoy his job methinks !

BL :drinks:

Posted

Hi Lewis, :good:

Just call be BL if you like.

As someone else answered, Paul mentioned freezing rain, sleet

and snow, but the graphics showed it as snow.

And yes, Brian, he does enjoy his job methinks !

BL :)

Hi BL :drinks:

Freezing rain is better than normal rain i suppose, did he mention this for the hull area, or typically on the coast.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Had day off work today, took kids sledging at Sewerby Park, really enjoyed it, mainly because I'm the Big Kid!

Forecast sounds really good.

Hope everyone gets some snow.

Can't wait lol...... :unsure: :unsure: :D

Posted

Just copied this one from Simon (Super Cell) over on TWO - made me giggle ! This is from the dinnertime forecast for Leeds and surrounding area on Look North

Well I did one for Yorkshire but my stupid company's web filter means I can't host it.

Suffice it to say that for 5am it had temperatures ranging between -1C in South Yorkshire, -2 to -5C everywhere else and...

Rain just about everywhere on the image! One splodge of snow over Leeds and Bradford in a sea of rain, rain, rain.

If you posted it on April 1st it would be dismissed as an April Fool's joke. -5C and RAIN. LOL. :wallbash:

Posted

Hi BL :wallbash:

Freezing rain is better than normal rain i suppose, did he mention this for the hull area, or typically on the coast.

Lewis

Hi again Lewis,

I think he just swept his hand across the whole of E. Yorks really as

he mentioned the 'mix'

The graphics looked solid white on the map tho.and on the boxes for days ahead to

Friday the temps in daytime were around 1 degree and showed snowfall.

Sorry that's a bit vague ! lol

I'll pay very close attention in future, because I know we're all agog.

I'm afraid though that I can't 'hope' for freezing rain .. it's just evil, lol

Posted

Just copied this one from Simon (Super Cell) over on TWO - made me giggle ! This is from the dinnertime forecast for Leeds and surrounding area on Look North

Well I did one for Yorkshire but my stupid company's web filter means I can't host it.

Suffice it to say that for 5am it had temperatures ranging between -1C in South Yorkshire, -2 to -5C everywhere else and...

Rain just about everywhere on the image! One splodge of snow over Leeds and Bradford in a sea of rain, rain, rain.

If you posted it on April 1st it would be dismissed as an April Fool's joke. -5C and RAIN. LOL. :wallbash:

:) -5 and rain is possibly by the way, but not when the 850's are that cold with the thickness, way below 0c right down to the surface.

Looking good tonight, i cant wait.

Lewis

Hi again Lewis,

I think he just swept his hand across the whole of E. Yorks really as

he mentioned the 'mix'

The graphics looked solid white on the map tho.and on the boxes for days ahead to

Friday the temps in daytime were around 1 degree and showed snowfall.

Sorry that's a bit vague ! lol

I'll pay very close attention in future, because I know we're all agog.

I'm afraid though that I can't 'hope' for freezing rain .. it's just evil, lol

Dam ( lets hop he's wrong lol.

Met office don't mention rain anywhere, i suppose it's up to the BBC regarding what they do with their data from them.

I suppose the met office is the most important, after-all they are the one with the sophisticated models/technology.

Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

-5 and rain would probably lead to freezing rain and ensuring chaos once people have chipped their way into the car, emptied a can of de-icer on the windscreen and slid their way to the main roads....

freezing-rain.jpg

Posted

-5 and rain would probably lead to freezing rain and ensuring chaos once people have chipped their way into the car, emptied a can of de-icer on the windscreen and slid their way to the main roads....

freezing-rain.jpg

That pictures amazing, would be alright if you ran out of ice cubes, plenty there for your vodka and coke :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Does seem a bit strange. They will probably add it later or put it on when the event actually happens. Unless it does miss most of Derbyshire :)

I can put this to bed now too. The Met's Mountain Forecast for the Peak District For Tuesday and Wednesday.

Tuesday

Weather: - Cloudy with persistent snow though much of the morning. The snow becoming intermittent during the afternoon with a few brighter intervals. Severe wind chill above 300 metres.

Visibility: - Poor or very poor in snow with whiteout conditions for a time above 300 metres, becoming occasionally moderate in the afternoon.

Wednesday: - Bright but very cold and frosty with snow showers. Moderate risk of wind chill with a fresh northerly wind. Visibility good becoming very poor in snow.

Thursday: - Rather cloudy with snow showers and the possibility of more persistent snow. Temperatures remaining below freezing at all levels with a high risk of wind chill in a fresh northerly wind. Visibility good becoming very poor in snow.

Met Office Mountain Forecast: Peak District

Posted

That pictures amazing, would be alright if you ran out of ice cubes, plenty there for your vodka and coke :)

Crickey, Lewis :) for a brief second, I thought you'd just posted a picture of your street :lol:

Posted

ok the lot of you-the last time I'll try and help all.

IF you are concerned about will it snow or rain or whatever, then go to the Guides and read the article in their by me.

It should help you work out for yourself just what your chances are of snow.

If you have Extra and here is another reason to get it at least over the winter months then all the charts you need are in that package.

Can you try and stop, young as some of you are, of giving the impression that you cannot work out what is happening. On this web site there is enough data from the models along with sensible forecasts from NW forecasters for any part of the Uk for you to be always well up as to what is going to happen.

I find it quite disheartening to read some of the posts in here at times when the answer is no more than a couple of clicks away with your mouse.

I've lost count of the number of times I've offered to help-next post is it isn't it, so and so said this and someone else said this.

SLOW down-THINK and ENJOY being part of Net Weather.

ask-learn-don't be afraid to admit you may be wrong.

The day I do that will be the last I do any forecasting.

I doubt anyone other than on the beach-and even here they will see snow-will otherwise not have a covering by this time tomorrow. Some of the lucky ones may have 5-10cm possibly more.

again enjoy-relax-chill out a bit.

I'm here if anyone wants to ask questions.

If not send a pm and I'll get back as soon as I can or if there are several answer them on here.

Posted

Crickey, Lewis :) for a brief second, I thought you'd just posted a picture of your street :)

LOL I would never wish that on any street, especially mine! I have trouble walking with a little bit of ice, never mind an ice skating ring haha.

lewis

ok the lot of you-the last time I'll try and help all.

IF you are concerned about will it snow or rain or whatever, then go to the Guides and read the article in their by me.

It should help you work out for yourself just what your chances are of snow.

If you have Extra and here is another reason to get it at least over the winter months then all the charts you need are in that package.

Can you try and stop, young as some of you are, of giving the impression that you cannot work out what is happening. On this web site there is enough data from the models along with sensible forecasts from NW forecasters for any part of the Uk for you to be always well up as to what is going to happen.

I find it quite disheartening to read some of the posts in here at times when the answer is no more than a couple of clicks away with your mouse.

I've lost count of the number of times I've offered to help-next post is it isn't it, so and so said this and someone else said this.

SLOW down-THINK and ENJOY being part of Net Weather.

ask-learn-don't be afraid to admit you may be wrong.

The day I do that will be the last I do any forecasting.

I doubt anyone other than on the beach-and even here they will see snow-will otherwise not have a covering by this time tomorrow. Some of the lucky ones may have 5-10cm possibly more.

again enjoy-relax-chill out a bit.

If not send a pm and I'll get back as soon as I can or if there are several answer them on here.

Thanks John,

Whilst we are on the Subject, i would like to admit i got the snow depths wrong last cold spell, i was out by around 3cm for GMG, and some places west :lol: - New year res lol.

On a serious note, i appreciate your input and wanting to help us as much as you can, i don't know how to put this correctly, but as you are a little older and of course wiser and more experienced, you should be spending more time exploring the U.K and World, relaxing and drinking some whiskey and spending time with your family! Not putting all of us young ones in line. I hope that didn't come out wrong, i have a habit of buggering posts up.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

Thanks John :)

Posted

12z rolling out, precipitation is good, only this i don't like is that the warm sector is much larger, and covers the entire E Yorkshire now and N/NE Lincs.

Not just tomorrow, but its all day and overnight into Wednesday too.

:drinks:

Posted

LOL I would never wish that on any street, especially mine! I have trouble walking with a little bit of ice, never mind an ice skating ring haha.

lewis

Thanks John,

Whilst we are on the Subject, i would like to admit i got the snow depths wrong last cold spell, i was out by around 3cm for GMG, and some places west smile.gif - New year res lol.

On a serious note, i appreciate your input and wanting to help us as much as you can, i don't know how to put this correctly, but as you are a little older and of course wiser and more experienced, you should be spending more time exploring the U.K and World, relaxing and drinking some whiskey and spending time with your family! Not putting all of us young ones in line. I hope that didn't come out wrong, i have a habit of buggering posts up.

Lewis

not at all young man-were I not on my own now-have been for a number of years- then I very much doubt if a wife would put up with seemingly being attached to this pc!

As to drinks-don't worry I do enjoy a glass or two of red and the occasional brown liquid, so have no worries there. As to exploring the Uk then 1 in 4 weekends will see me hiking through Derbyshire, and a couple of weekends further afield. I take at least 4 holidays per year, one coming up in two weeks=my annual pilgrimage to Wengen in the Bernese Oberland Switzerland. I've still some 'must see' places I hope to get to before I find the grim reaper at my door-China, S Africa, parts of NW America along with some others. The major problem is that Mr Chancellor having taken my bloody money once when I worked now takes it a second time from my pension-never mind I'll manage.

end of brief current pastimes of jh

Posted

12z rolling out, precipitation is good, only this i don't like is that the warm sector is much larger, and covers the entire E Yorkshire now and N/NE Lincs.

Not just tomorrow, but its all day and overnight into Wednesday too.

:drinks:

:) no doubt the 18z will be different.