Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Doesn't it just JedWood been out for a quick smoke during my lunch break and positively cold.

Not much better in the office either, with it being the first day back at work everything was very cold inside - even now I am sat wearing my fleece. Thankfully, come end of January moving into a permanent building rather than this Portacabin which is either cold in the Winter or roasting in the Summer.

Edited by rikki

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Do we think tonight's snow is going to be a region-wide affair, or is it possible only western areas could be affected? Sorry to have to ask instead of being able to contribute.

All the evidence suggests it will be a region-wide affair as the front moves through overnight and into tomorrow morning - though it may be a wintery mix right on the coast to start with. Westerly areas in our region are blessed with high ground which will help to pep up precipitation as the front moves over. Have a look at the met office warnings for Tuesday. Once the Front passes through, then, depending on Easterlies, North Easterlies or Northerlies, the eastern part of the region is likely to be favoured, but if there's a strong flow and a significant easterly compenent to the flow, snow showers may penetrate a long way inland - that's 48 hours away yet and it's too early to say really....

Posted

Doesn't it just JedWood been out for a quick smoke during my lunch break and positively cold.

Not much better in the office either, with it being the first day back at work everything was very cold inside - even now I am sat wearing my fleece. Thankfully, come end of January moving into a permanent building rather than this Portacabin which is either cold in the Winter or roasting in the Summer.

Indeed it does rikki lake, ya old slapper :shok:drinks.gif

Posted

Shows freezing all week too me in Hull,

Lewis

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/scarborough_forecast_weather.html

Do you think these temps will be upgraded then Lewis? Otherwise I'm gonna start worrying about margins again!

On tonights affair? ITV Had sleet over us and for tomorrow! (Hardly the most reliable forecast mind!).

Are we going to miss out on the coast?

Posted

Meto have upgraded the warnings, i love how they have missed out Derbyshire for tomorrow :shok: I suppose I'm on the border with South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire so its not all bad. Wednesday looks good with the warnings showing showers getting well inland. Thursday is the same as well :lol: All good!

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/uk/em/em_forecast_warnings.html?day=2

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/uk/yh/yh_forecast_warnings.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Indeed it does rikki lake, ya old slapper :lol: drinks.gif

LOL ^.^ that would be quite a good retort if my name wasn't Richard Lake. :shok:

Posted

Meto have upgraded the warnings, i love how they have missed out Derbyshire for tomorrow :shok: I suppose I'm on the border with South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire so its not all bad. Wednesday looks good with the warnings showing showers getting well inland. Thursday is the same as well :lol: All good!

Hi Mark,

Yeah,I noticed that Derbyshire wasn't included too, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. If it's likely to snow at Holmfirth or Retford, Why not at Peak Forest or Bolsover?

Posted

Hi Mark,

Yeah,I noticed that Derbyshire wasn't included too, and I can't for the life of me figure out why. If it's likely to snow at Holmfirth or Retford, Why not at Peak Forest or Bolsover?

Does seem a bit strange. They will probably add it later or put it on when the event actually happens. Unless it does miss most of Derbyshire :shok:

Posted

Hi Mark,

Really unsure myself as well! I expect the warnings to include the midlands later, especially the north midlands.

Look at this 6z NAE chart:

10010518_0406.gif

The potential is there for falls of several cm, as much as 20cm over the highest hills (basically the tops of the Pennines, Peaks and Moors)

I mentioned in the cold discussion thread that it might be due to the Met Office thinking the midlands might escape with just a dusting, not enough to warrant a warning.

Best stay tuned to forecasts and the MetO website - I for one am expecting the N Mids to be included in the warning area.

Posted

Meto have upgraded the warnings, i love how they have missed out Derbyshire for tomorrow :cray: I suppose I'm on the border with South Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire so its not all bad. Wednesday looks good with the warnings showing showers getting well inland. Thursday is the same as well :) All good!

Good afernoon Mark, things are falling into place nicely aren't they?

I'm glad you got your Netweather Xtra sorted because it's going to come in handy during the coming days :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

Really unsure myself as well! I expect the warnings to include the midlands later, especially the north midlands.

Look at this 6z NAE chart:

10010518_0406.gif

The potential is there for falls of several cm, as much as 20cm over the highest hills (basically the tops of the Pennines, Peaks and Moors)

I mentioned in the cold discussion thread that it might be due to the Met Office thinking the midlands might escape with just a dusting, not enough to warrant a warning.

Best stay tuned to forecasts and the MetO website - I for one am expecting the N Mids to be included in the warning area.

I love how that chart shows a square of heavy rain over me amongsts the vast swathes of snow barreling down the coast with that LP system. I wouldn't be too surprised if that came of given my luck the last few days :cray:

Posted

what time is the snow expected to hit South Lincs please

here is hoping that we get snow in south lincs, i have seen the bbc forecast and from what i understand it could well be rain/sleet here

Posted

I love how that chart shows a square of heavy rain over me amongsts the vast swathes of snow barreling down the coast with that LP system. I wouldn't be too surprised if that came of given my luck the last few days :lol:

:cray: Yeah, I'll be keeping my bucket and spade locked firmly in the shed

Posted

Good afernoon Mark, things are falling into place nicely aren't they?

I'm glad you got your Netweather Xtra sorted because it's going to come in handy during the coming days biggrin.gif

They surely are. A very prolonged cold spell with a snow risk lasting till the weekend :cray: Looks to turn drier for a time before a possible reload bringing another risk of snow! I'm back to post 16 on Wednesday so hopefully i will be able to witness to some snow during tomorrow. Managed to save £20 with my net-weather subscription. Not bad :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Just before the next lot potentially starts to bear down on us, a quick pictorial update from Pennine-land !

This is the end of our house, faces just south of due east. It must be cold because that snow on the wall is from Saturday, it's had full sun on it yesterday morning and this morning and it's barely melted at all.

post-2239-12626091946213_thumb.jpg

And a few others around the house

post-2239-12626091978813_thumb.jpg post-2239-12626092016513_thumb.jpg

post-2239-12626092059413_thumb.jpg post-2239-12626091907813_thumb.jpg

Might try and get up onto the moors this afternoon, could be some quite good drifts.

Posted

here is hoping that we get snow in south lincs, i have seen the bbc forecast and from what i understand it could well be rain/sleet here

I'd be surprised if that forecast hasn't changed by this afternoon.

Arnie, the current thinking is that ppn will reach you at some point tomorrow morning. 06z GFS run had it in mid-Lincs by about 8am, but it could, of course be different. Watch the Radar tonight as it progresses south from Northern Scotland.

Posted

Some great pictures PTFD biggrin.gif

The expected precipitation amounts from the NAE model. (which i believe is what the met office use, and the BBC) Not looking bad!

post-6181-12626097336013_thumb.gif

Here's the current snow in my garden. I wonder if there will be any green left by the end of Tuesday :D

post-6181-12626098931513_thumb.jpg

(Does anyone know how to stop it enlarging so big, perhaps changing the picture format?)

Posted

Just before the next lot potentially starts to bear down on us, a quick pictorial update from Pennine-land !

This is the end of our house, faces just south of due east. It must be cold because that snow on the wall is from Saturday, it's had full sun on it yesterday morning and this morning and it's barely melted at all.

Nice pictures Martin :D I love your icicles. I've not seen proper icicles for as long as I can remember. The big hill looks good fun too :D

Posted

(Does anyone know how to stop it enlarging so big, perhaps changing the picture format?)

Hi Mark, just save the picture to paint and resize it.

Open your image in paint, select 'image' at the top of the bar, click on 'resize/skew' then you can choose your percentage :unsure:

Posted

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/scarborough_forecast_weather.html

Do you think these temps will be upgraded then Lewis? Otherwise I'm gonna start worrying about margins again!

On tonights affair? ITV Had sleet over us and for tomorrow! (Hardly the most reliable forecast mind!).

Are we going to miss out on the coast?

I would say your fine being further North on the coast, it may fall as sleet/wet snow for a time for most areas in East Yorkshire, or it may be snow from the start, it all depends. We now know by the models whats happening, so it's a case of now casting and keeping an eye on your conditions at the time, dew point is important it could be the only stumbling block IMHO.

The precipitation is expected to hit around 5am in the morning, given the temp is still at 0c here, they will quickly drop off again tonight for all areas, i can honestly say that i doubt temps will recover much tomorrow even when the precipitation hits.

Lewis

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

For those worried about the Beeb weather forecasts and the predominence of rain/sleet in the early morning forecasts, I've copied a post from Ian Fergusson that has just been posted in the General Model Output Thread.

The later NAE run (arriving after us early folk had completed BBC Breakfast / radio forecasts) has a more predominant snow signal for tomorrow morning; a broader areal spread as the feature runs south and retains a more coherent look to it; and a prospect of further bands of snow following later in the evening, especially into southern-central districts (e.g., Oxon, Wilts).

Hope that this sets a few minds at rest.

Posted

Hi Mark, just save the picture to paint and resize it.

Open your image in paint, select 'image' at the top of the bar, click on 'resize/skew' then you can choose your percentage smile.gif

Posted

I would say your fine being further North on the coast, it may fall as sleet/wet snow for a time for most areas in East Yorkshire, or it may be snow from the start, it all depends. We now know by the models whats happening, so it's a case of now casting and keeping an eye on your conditions at the time, dew point is important it could be the only stumbling block IMHO.

The precipitation is expected to hit around 5am in the morning, given the temp is still at 0c here, they will quickly drop off again tonight for all areas, i can honestly say that i doubt temps will recover much tomorrow even when the precipitation hits.

Lewis

Too much emphesis on dew points here I think, I really can't see this been anything but snow TBH - I love enthusiasm of the younger members - and putting a lot of faith in CG models, then just using what is available to hand and eye, I hope that the chaps that are under say 38 yrs old get to witness what some of us older lot did back in the late 70's and mid eighty's all to play for without fail IMHO :whistling: