Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

If you would like to see as much snow as you could ever wish for and have a car try driving through the North York Moors !. Although for safety reasons I would not recommend it. Looks like Lapland out there. Up to my knees in a places. Many roads only passable with 4x4 and some routes closed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Snow amounts will change on a run by run basis. The 18z last night was extremely snowy, the runs today slightly less so but still pretty impressive. It'll change again tomorrow and again later in the week. The Feb 2005 event is enough for me to never count chickens - I did say last night in a pm to one member that the 18z last night could bring some very, very poor conditions to higher ground in the east of the region on Friday/Saturday morning, and that would be my main worry still - the strength of the NE wind, after several days of heavy snow, with continuing snow showers. Although the strongest winds are a little less potent in todays runs, there is still the possibility of Blizzards next Friday - things like this will affect local snow depths enormously. I do think most places in the region will get a decent taste next week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Next week? Today is Sunday the start of a new week. I hope things haven't fallen back further. :drinks:

Posted

And last night you said I'm always over the top with my snow depth predictions, i said 50cm last night in some places, and you go for 30-40cm? not much difference is they once you hit the 30cm barrier. Rather contradicting yourself if you ask me.

You are OTT on the snow depths, you were on the last cold spell and this cold spell as well. It's very vague to say "50cm in some places", so this can easily apply to lower ground as you aren't been specific. I'm going for 30-40cm on the Moors on very high ground, not 50cm of snow basically down to sea level as that is not a possibility.

Posted

You are OTT on the snow depths, you were on the last cold spell and this cold spell as well. It's very vague to say "50cm in some places", so this can easily apply to lower ground as you aren't been specific. I'm going for 30-40cm on the Moors on very high ground, not 50cm of snow basically down to sea level as that is not a possibility.

I was actually close to the mark on the last cold spell, my area didn't do so well...

But many places got 10-15cm of snow.

GMG Did very well, and so did others.

Did i say lower ground on estimations last night? ummm NO..

Everytime you have an input now, i'll question you. Let's see if you like it ay?

Lewis

Posted

We had a foot of laying snow in the last major cold spell in February 2009 but we did do particularly well in the west Huddersfield area.

Somewhere near that would be not expected this week but would be fantastic, 8" up the road already at Scapegoat hill so easily over a foot there with some more roads continuing to keep closed.

Posted

I was actually close to the mark on the last cold spell, my area didn't do so well...

But many places got 10-15cm of snow.

GMG Did very well, and so did others.

Did i say lower ground on estimations last night? ummm NO..

Everytime you have an input now, i'll question you. Let's see if you like it ay?

Lewis

If you are not been specific how am I and other members supposed to know? We can't read minds.

You were of the mark on the last cold spell, very few places achieved more than 5cm of snow. East/South Yorkshire didn't even receive any (bar the odd dusting) snow.

Posted

Let's discuss the cold spell shall we and not get into any bickering.

Hopefully this week we will all get a fair bit of snow! good for business ya know :shok:

Posted

If you are not been specific how am I and other members supposed to know? We can't read minds.

You were of the mark on the last cold spell, very few places achieved more than 5cm of snow. East/South Yorkshire didn't even receive any (bar the odd dusting) snow.

Here is what i said to "Just before dawn" last night... At the time Rob posted for me my estimations he dind't go into detail at all, i could not get on the site for some time last night;

ent Today, 00:40

Hi Neil,

Certainly very impressive models. I don't really have any experience of this type of setup with me being (21 this month). The closest i came was probably December 2005, we had a similar easterly (probably a little stronger winds, the 850's were established but the flow from the east was not, unlike this setup on it's way).

Anyhow that December i was staying at my girlfriends mums and dad's in Catwick (Near Leven) and we had 1 and a half - 2 foot drifts, with around 25cm of level snow. That was from a break down from the west where the -10 850's was over us and to the east would not budge. hehe as i type this we are getting a snow shower, the wind is really picking up, so it just shows how much instability there is with a flow like this.

Any how it looks very very rough for these parts not exclusively to my area, from Whitby Southwards right too the SE coast line of Kent.

I think your rough 30cm is a safe bet, and my 50cm will be seen as entering the fantasy island world. But i really think we may see 50cm and possibly exceed that level of snow.

I favor the North Yorkshire Moors, Lincolnshire Wolds, Pennines etc.

With lower ground to the East possible seeing something close, you never quite know. Some parts of W and S Yorkshire have seen a good 5-9cm and some more on higher ground, just from a rather weak and unorganized band of precipitation, and of course a few heavy showers, so over a course of 5-6 days, with a lot more instability, stronger flow making showers penetrate inland much easier without loosing their intensity, and very low upper 850's with the flow coming across the warmer part of the North Sea (think average temp at the moment in 6-7c around 60 miles east to the center) with temps generally 3-4c closer off the Coast.

It's sure going to be a memorable event if the 18z comes into fruition.

Lewis :shok:

Posted

How can you say East Yorkshire didnt get any? The snow was up to a good 4-5 inches in the last cold spell, there is still the remains of the snow on some roads in the country near by!

Posted

Yes indeed DB stop arguing enjoy the cold if that is what you like and hope for snow-be happy if you get it-sorry for those who have not but try and grow up a couple of you.

At the end any of our posts can be repeated to show whether what we say we said is true so cut it out.

GmG etc as mods have enough problems without this type of silly spat.

To WS thanks a lot for those great photos-shame some others don't spend more time on productive things than behaving like kids in a noisy playground.

I make no apologies to any of you if the cap fits.

i've already said pack it in ROB-please do so

IF you have a snow depth show a photo then it stops yab boo arguemnts about I have-you have'nt etc.

Edited by johnholmes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Something good in all four seasons

Lovely photos thank you WS Evolution

:rofl:

Posted

How can you say East Yorkshire didnt get any? The snow was up to a good 4-5 inches in the last cold spell, there is still the remains of the snow on some roads in the country near by!

I'm talking about December17th-18.

Posted

I'm talking about December17th-18.

Rob is also talking about then...

Your the one carrying it on.

Last night you had a little digg at me and i ignored it. Tonight you make near enough estimations yourself, yet last night you said i'm always way out? If you post like that, always expect a reaction, to avoid it in the future, don't reply to my posts, especially if the next day you post something so contradicting.

Enough now please...

Lewis

Posted

if you don't stop it I'll ask admin to suspend several of you now listen and stop spoiling the thread for the vast majority

use pm if you qwant to play ya boo style posting NOT the open thread.

Here here, did you get much last night John? It seemed to stall for a while!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Is that a streamer I see forming off the coast at Scarborough and heading this way? It sure looks like it rolleyes.gif

Temp here has risen in the last hour from -2°C to -1.1°C and the DP is -2.8°C. I guess this is because of the cloud heading this way.

Am off out shortly for two hours (only in Bev), maybe I'll get stuck! Only joking rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: the more extreme the better!

we still have about three inch left from before xmas up here.. cant wait for next week.. may even reach a foot drinks.gif

Posted

A couple of images I took just around sunset...

(I'd say we've had around 4cm of snow here)

post-185-12625432816713_thumb.jpg

post-185-12625433068113_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob W

Posted

Some pics I took in the evening. (photo's resized to make it easier to view) post-8968-12625437380713_thumb.jpgpost-8968-12625437498013_thumb.jpgpost-8968-12625437661113_thumb.jpgpost-8968-12625437843113_thumb.jpgpost-8968-12625438017913_thumb.jpg

Posted

Some pics I took in the evening. (photo's resized to make it easier to view) post-8968-12625437380713_thumb.jpgpost-8968-12625437498013_thumb.jpgpost-8968-12625437661113_thumb.jpgpost-8968-12625437843113_thumb.jpgpost-8968-12625438017913_thumb.jpg

great photos there mate, I love seeing snow covered streets.