Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

It's currently -2.5ºc and almost clear skies - looks like the forecast of -7 might well be correct. Today's maximum has been -0.4ºc, with light snow showers this morning and clearish skies this afternoon.

Posted

Will be snow for everybody on Tuesday, even though there doesn't look much of it! precipitation charts (although not be be trusted at that time frame) give a dusting to perhaps a cm or two of snow to our region. On the other hand the 6z gave a bit more so i would expect changes. Comes down to now casting. Dew Points remain -1c or below for just about everyone. Snow showers following on behind :lol:

Posted

Ah just got back from morrisons, shut at 4 and i left here at 3:10, and in that time i did a good 80 quid shop, packed it up and got home and put it away. And they say men are useless at shopping? :)

Anyhow, back to the weather, it's bitter out there. Car park at morrisons is full of black ice, cars skidding everywhere.

Current temp in my back yard is -1.3c with a dew of -3 a cold night to come :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Blimey, Brierlow Bar just south of Buxton is already down to -5.8c. Don't know what it is here as I'm at work but it certainly won't be as low as that.

Posted

erm excuse me TM-nowt about Derbyshire on this title.

only kidding I'm an interloper from Gods County as well.

how much snow have you got-some one has just posted shots of the Leek-Buxton road looking its usual self in these conditions.

I suspect it will get very much worse through this week-roads shut-schools closed etc etc.?

Posted

I forgot to mention. The 12z is a cracker up to now, warm sectors more or less evaporated, and when there is the slightest hint of some marginality, NE England/Newcastle area end up with it now :).

Glad the 06z did not verify, phew...

Lewis

Posted

I forgot to mention. The 12z is a cracker up to now, warm sectors more or less evaporated, and when there is the slightest hint of some marginality, NE England/Newcastle area end up with it now :).

Lewis

I think i'll be having a few all nighters next week mate :)

Posted

Just a quick link for those who missed Thom Krackernackers Countryfile- Epic forecast - looks like we should do well out of this :lol: Pity everyone will be back at work and school !

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=FzOGt-NlfLE

Im having troble loading the video, anyone else?

Rob

Posted

That was one of the best weather forecasts by the BBC that I have ever seen.

gobby

Posted

GFS and UKMO have the risk of snow extending to Saturday. So looking very good for our region. No point going into details of who will see what though. I suspect the North York Moors will do very well. Generally 2cm-5cm across most areas by the end of week. Up to 10cm in some places were showers have been more frequent. North York moors and other hilly areas up to 20cm. You shall all have to keep an eye on the radar! Looks to turn drier and colder after next weekend. The trend is for the high to try and retrogress north again. Somewhere around Iceland, Southern Greenland. So perhaps another reload of cold from the north...

Posted

I forgot to mention. The 12z is a cracker up to now, warm sectors more or less evaporated, and when there is the slightest hint of some marginality, NE England/Newcastle area end up with it now smile.gif.

Lewis

Sweet, could today get any better! drinks.gif

Posted

Rob

loads quick for me then just wont play

Posted

Rob

Hi Rob, i'm also having trouble downloading the snowfest forcast. :lol:

Posted

GFS and UKMO have the risk of snow extending to Saturday. So looking very good for our region. No point going into details of who will see what though. I suspect the North York Moors will do very well. Generally 2cm-5cm across most areas by the end of week. Up to 10cm in some places were showers have been more frequent. North York moors and other hilly areas up to 20cm. You shall all have to keep an eye on the radar! Looks to turn drier and colder after next weekend. The trend is for the high to try and retrogress north again. Somewhere around Iceland, Southern Greenland. So perhaps another reload of cold from the north...

I think you're under estimating the amount of snow, on Feb 2nd we achieved 10cm of snow from that easterly which only lasted for 12-18 hours, and there weren't that many showers.

By the end of the week I would say 15-20cm of snow for most areas and 30-40cm of snow on the Moors.

Edit: As I have already have 10cm of snow on the grass I would expect 30cm of snow round here, especially for West Yorkshire as we already have a decent covering of snow.

Edited by 10123

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Shower earlier didn't amount to much either: most of it missed here I think. Seems to be one or two to the north now but they seem to fizzle out very quick. Looks like I will be going to work in the morning after all cray.gif

Temps are certainly dropping: -1.8°C here at the mo with a DP of -3.5°C. I think this could be the coldest night of the winter here.

I hope that the forecasts for this week come off as we are yet to have a really good dump: we had around 3" before Christmas, there is about an inch on the ground at the mo which is not enough to go sledgingnea.gif

Fingers crossed for a cracking week with an unplanned day or two working from home!

Posted

I think you're under estimating the amount of snow, on Feb 2nd we achieved 10cm of snow from that easterly which only lasted for 12-18 hours, and there weren't that many showers.

By the end of the week I would say 15-20cm of snow for most areas and 30-40cm of snow on the Moors.

We shall see. The further inland you are the more scattered the showers will be. I shall stick with 2cm-5cm as what everyone should expect. Some places that see more of the showers then up to 10cm of snow, perhaps more. 20cm to 30cm over the moors. I think that's pretty reasonable for now. Hopefully the high gets progged a little more north so we can benefit more from the easterly. We would have already done well for much of the week though.

I can't see widespread 20cm for most people, only select few. We shall just have to wait till the end of the week! :)

Posted

Edit: As I have already have 10cm of snow on the grass I would expect 30cm of snow round here, especially for West Yorkshire as we already have a decent covering of snow.

And last night you said I'm always over the top with my snow depth predictions, i said 50cm last night in some places, and you go for 30-40cm? not much difference is they once you hit the 30cm barrier. Rather contradicting yourself if you ask me.

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme weather - any kind!

We shall see. The further inland you are the more scattered the showers will be. I shall stick with 2cm-5cm as what everyone should expect. Some places that see more of the showers then up to 10cm of snow, perhaps more. 20cm to 30cm over the moors. I think that's pretty reasonable for now. Hopefully the high gets progged a little more north so we can benefit more from the easterly. We would have already done well for much of the week though.

I can't see widespread 20cm for most people, only select few. We shall just have to wait till the end of the week! :)

Well, BBC Weather are currently suggesting 5-10cm widely just from the snow coming down from the north on Tuesday, with up to 15cm in some areas. Then there are also snow showers possible for the rest of the week. But anyway, predicting the quantity of snow is very difficult until very close to the time, we should just be grateful we have snow!