Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

I think you will be primed for quite a bit of snowfall if you ask me :whistling:

quite a bit of RAINFALL its warmer than yesterday, now 0.5c and climbing again dam it LOL

an arctic set up and we not even guareteed snowfall you have to laugh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Lol alot of people worying about temps when there still at freezing or below .. your all nuts. Temps have exceeded 1.2c here and are still on the rise and its pretty cloudy out there today.

Oh i best remind you that during the last heavy snow event we had, temps were between 2.5c and 3c so im not at all worried about temps ... YET. :whistling:

Edited by Snowmad79

Lol alot of people worying about temps when there still at freezing or below .. your all nuts. Temps have exceeded 1.2c here and are still on the rise and its pretty cloudy out there today.

Oh i best remind you that during the last heavy snow event we had, temps were between 2.5c and 3c so im not at all worried about temps ... YET. :unsure:

1.2?

Manchester still below freezing and you are 1.2,very very odd that.Is your station feeling ok?

:whistling:

Posted

west coast, about 2 miles inland high harrington, not sure about how far i am above sea level but i am certainly above it, and influanced by the warm irish sea

0.6c going up up up rain tonight

Edited by james12

Posted

Oh i best remind you that during the last heavy snow event we had, temps were between 2.5c and 3c so im not at all worried about temps ... YET. biggrin.gif

He's got a point.....surely?

Posted

I presume the background on ITV local news is recorded, it was snowing quite a bit on the bulletin...

Posted

He's got a point.....surely?

snow at 3c? some people report rain at 1.5c the freezing level must have been very low and caused a downdraft of cold air

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

its worth noting my dewpoint is above freezing here so unless that returns below freezing or at least it get cooler, snow is very borderline

Posted

Just watching granada news and its snowing outside you could see it through studio window.

I saw it too, i presume it's recorded, as there is nothing at all on the Netw 5 minute radar...

Posted

looking at http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ radar that stuff out in the irish sea is more sleet than rain, and everything incoming from nw scotland is not looking to bad, I am not writing off any snow chances yet...surely with temps still in the low 0's and 1 and 2's with low dewpoints will be enough for precip to fall as snow rather than rain especially when the temps start to fall in a couple of hours time.

It's worth noting that the radar can't actually tell the difference between rain, sleet, snow, graupel, etc. The precipitation data is overlayed by a colour mask that is produced using, typically, GFS data. As the GFS updates, expect to see stuff suddenly change from one type of precip to another.

As for the mild panic setting in regarding surface temperatures :yahoo: please remember that we have just gone through the warmest part of the day when that pesky orange thing in the sky makes everything heat up a little bit close to the ground. I bet if most of you could mount your sensors on a two hundred foot high pole you would still register close to zero. Areas with snow and heavy hoar frost will see this warming effect far less. My car was just showing -0.5oC at 1pm which could actually mean it's anywhere between plus 0.5 and minus one.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

wow Ive just realised it was a year ago today that I recorded my lowest temperature of 2009, which happened to be -4.2C which exactly the same as today (-4.2C and the lowest temperature of 2010 so far) - how spooky!

Posted

last night was colder than the previous and yet today has climbed above freezing, although has fallen back to 0.5c from 0.7c!!

the cloud spilling over us now from the north will halt much of a temp drop before the ppn arrives making it alot more marginal for us out west

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

1.2?

Manchester still below freezing and you are 1.2,very very odd that.Is your station feeling ok?

:yahoo:

Now you mention it i just moved it a little and temp instantly changed to 0.2c very strange indeed. :)

Edit - Good god its dropping into the minus's quickly now currently -0.3. Stupid ALDI special weather station :cold:

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

snow at 3c? some people report rain at 1.5c the freezing level must have been very low and caused a downdraft of cold air

You have to remember the pitfalls of the irish sea imo..you either will get snow or you wont' as was posted by someone the other day...temps at sea level can look marvellous but you only have to see the mild pocket of air between it and the colder air to see why it doesn't snow.

Lots of fretting going on imo. Temps will drop as it starts to go dark quite readily. For me its clear as a bell, only kicker for me is that the temp as rocketed to 4.2C but the dewpoint is at 0.5C...as long as that drops I dont care..I think it was always dodgy for today anyways wasnt it? It was always about Tuesday night into Wednesday.

No sooner did i write the above the dp as dropped to 0.2C so it's going in the right direction..also more importantly there shouldnt be enough energy out there to warm much beyond what we have..and I think its more like a pocket where it can be very cold or very hot here..I remember last July at the start I think was a scorcher with 2 weeks of continous horrid heat, with max recorded at 32.1C...this winter my low as been -9.2C...with Garston not that far behind it either...for cold its been exceptional for snow its been punishing for lack of a better word because the coasts once again missed out (1, 2mm).

If things are getting colder each year...and since 2007 that definitely seems the case to me, with more snowfall occuring as opposed to just a few showers around the country, it has to be a good thing.? Maybe I am talking crap lol

Edited by HotCuppa

Temp here now up to 1.2c

I thought the warm front was supposed to be over Ireland on this mornings output ? seems like quite a change in 6 hrs or so ?

1.2 is hardly warm though is it?

If it was a mild sector youd be at about 4 degrees now.

Your temps should start dropping when the sun goes down.

if it carries on rising you might need an umbrella.

Posted

I am getting quite giddy, my dp has now dropped to -0.8C :)

Id also like to say my temp is starting to drop

Current Temp 3.6C (Max reached 4.1C today about 40 mins ago)

Dewpoint -0.7C

Wind Dir W

Barometer: 1016.5 slowly falling

Humidity: 74%

Edited by HotCuppa