Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted

1.2 is hardly warm though is it?

If it was a mild sector youd be at about 4 degrees now.

Your temps should start dropping when the sun goes down.

if it carries on rising you might need an umbrella.

Should have phrased it differently. My temp is now 1.2c, not saying we are in the warm front rather referring to posts at the top of the last page about forecasts now saying its mainly rain & sleet for tonight when its not 6hrs since the warm sector was going to be out over Ireland ?

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

You sure ? I can see a couple of specs on the radars thats about it so lets hope we do get some good formation in the irish sea. That band up over Scotland will vere off to the east and miss most of us anyway knowing our luck :)

-0.5c and falling

Edited by Snowmad79

Should have phrased it differently. My temp is now 1.2c, not saying we are in the warm front rather referring to posts at the top of the last page about forecasts now saying its mainly rain & sleet.

im edging towards western parts of the region seeing rain tonight.Im not really sure where the dividing line will be to be honest.

The further east of the region and the higher you are the better,thats about as much as we can say at the moment.

:)

You sure ? I can see a couple of specs on the radars thats about it so lets hope we do get some good formation in the irish sea. That band up over Scotland will vere off to the east and miss most of us anyway knowing our luck :good:

-0.5c and falling

nice to see your temp falling mate.Id expect that as we head towards nightfall.

be nice to see it drop below -3 before the front hits,gives plenty of scope if the temps rise a degree or 3.

:drinks:

Posted

where are you mate i dont know your area very well.

Rural Hale, I dont live in the village. We ended up in a warm sector of air and its clearly moving out because of the temp drop.

I think perhaps the dividing line will be about 2 miles out from liverpool..areas east are looking better than they did perhaps 2 or 3 hours ago. There is no real precip in the irish sea, and its clear as a bell here, no high clouds or low clouds at all :)

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

current temp 0.5c and stationary!! DP -1c

cloud spilling down over here, not completely overcast yet hoping for drop in temp,

frost very slowly melting on car and roof tops :)

Posted

current temp 0.5c and stationary!! DP -1c

cloud spilling down over here, not completely overcast yet hoping for drop in temp,

frost very slowly melting on car and roof tops :drinks:

Temp 3.4C

DP now at -1.0C much better

Area about a mile and a half to my north has dropped to 2.0C with the same dp as me :)

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

im edging towards western parts of the region seeing rain tonight.Im not really sure where the dividing line will be to be honest.

The further east of the region and the higher you are the better,thats about as much as we can say at the moment.

:unsure:

nice to see your temp falling mate.Id expect that as we head towards nightfall.

be nice to see it drop below -3 before the front hits,gives plenty of scope if the temps rise a degree or 3.

Its still falling but tbh its a perfect temperature right now. I d rather it didnt get any colder becuase air tends to lack water vapour the futher below zero it goes apparently. -0.5 to 1.0 will do me nicely sir.

Posted

Temp 3.4C

DP now at -1.0C much better

warm sector of the front over NW scotland and west isles with temps 3/5c and DP above freezing.

even colder air behind front? northern isles still 3c dp 1c that should drop after passage of front

Looking good here for any PPN to fall as snow even though I'm not expecting anything, temp here is -1c and dew point is -4.3c and falling. That's Salford, Manchester.

that sounds very promising glenn,even though those figures will rise as the front arrives they will be more than adequte id have thought,even allowing for some big rises.

Posted

Just in case any of you missed it. Ian Fergusson (BBC forcaster) recently posted in the MOD thread to shed some light on the slightly confusing eariler BBC forecasts suggesting largely rain for this evening:

snowking, on 04 January 2010 - 11:16 , said:

Hi Matt,

That is an update to the Met Office's own hi-res model

The previous BBC forecasts were based upon earlier runs of the model which, for some reason puzzling a number of us, was showing rain/sleet in the mix - the risk of this seems to be diminishing somewhat perhaps due to NWP models overdoing dew points (as has occured often before)

Kind Regards

SK

Ian Fergusson:

Exactly correct, SK. The later NAE run (arriving after us early folk had completed BBC Breakfast / radio forecasts) has a more predominant snow signal for tomorrow morning; a broader areal spread as the feature runs south and retains a more coherent look to it; and a prospect of further bands of snow following later in the evening, especially into southern-central districts (e.g., Oxon, Wilts). Incidentally the latest GM progs and UKMO thinking reduces the heavy snow risk for London/SE end of week - at least, to an extent - and revisits the same potential later in the weekend albeit confidence remain problematic (hence no advisories for now). An anticyclonic dominance takes over later next week, steadily diminishing snow potential but retaining the cold feed obviously, as expected.

http://forum.netweat...ost__p__1696549

warm sector of the front over NW scotland and west isles with temps 3/5c and DP above freezing.

even colder air behind front? northern isles still 3c dp 1c that should drop after passage of front

im happy the front is coming in after dark temps across manchester etc should start falling away very quickly for the next 3 hours or so.

thats the plan anyway!! :unsure:

Posted

James everywhere around you is between -1C and -5C I wouldn't worry too much, plenty of freezing air still all around you, and I bet your temp starts to drop off soon..your current setup ie temp and dp is looking good for that snow when and if it arrives. Id be more concerned if your temps where like mine right at this moment.

Posted

Can someone from Rochdale report and tell us if thats Dense fog or snow im looking at ?

coz weve random specs of graupel here and my veiw of Rochdale has gone :unsure:.. nothing on meteox radar either that i can see

Must have been snow coz its coming down lighly here and getting heavier peeps !

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted

Showers in the Irish Sea seem to be heading my way rain or snow we'll see in 15 mins or so.

It looks like its hitting Blackpool as sleet/wet snow to me

Holyhead - wet snow mixing with normal snow

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

It looks like its hitting Blackpool as sleet/wet snow to me

Holyhead - wet snow mixing with normal snow

Net Weather radar has it as snow. Can see the clouds building up to the West of here now. Think it may pass just south of here anyway.

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted

falling very slowly 0.3c now

DP -1.8c

cant see it falling much lower due to the cloud cover now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold

well the first VERY light snow fell at about 2:15, lasting for about 20mins - just a dusting but even settled on the main roads til it was driven over. Noticed the gritters are out in force already this afternoon. It either means that they are expecting the worst, trying to put on a show of strength given we've not seen them around (apart from the motorways ) for 2 weeks, or we have an abundance of salt and grit- watch this space

Can someone from Rochdale report and tell us if thats Dense fog or snow im looking at ?

coz weve random specs of graupel here and my veiw of Rochdale has gone biggrin.gif.. nothing on meteox radar either that i can see

Must have been snow coz its coming down lighly here and getting heavier peeps !

ooops - that was snow - sorry - I was out picking up supplies for the Day after Tomorrow senario lol

Posted

Temp slowly falling now.

Current Temp 3.0C

Dewpoint -1.9C (at least the dewpoint is the right side of things)

Still very clear skies. We should start to see quite a drop off soon, dp's are starting to look really good as they continue to fall nicely :)

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

uk weather world warning, intersting read and sounds like a polar low forming to the west-

UKww Weather Warning – Heavy Snow, Ice

Valid from: 1200z Monday 4th January-2359z Tuesday 5th Jan 2010

Areas affected: UK

General evolution: Cold to very cold air remains in place over much of the UK with subzero temperatures and hard-frozen ground/snow/ice widely. During today and overnight into Tuesday a frontal system moves south across the UK, expected N Scotland 1200 today, across N Wales/N England by Midnight and E Anglia-S coast of England by 1200 Tuesday. An unstable NE airflow with embedded showery troughs follows on behind.

Forecast: Outbreaks of snow move down through Scotland today and through N England/N Wales overnight and S England/S Wales by Tuesday morning. There is a possibility that this will fall as sleety rain close to coasts, but cold surfaces mean that there is a risk of dangerous sheet-ice forming in such circumstances.

Snow accumulations will vary from slight to significant: expect anything from a covering to 10cm or more. Either way, roads will again become difficult and dangerous. In Eastern areas (and possibly more widely), snow showers running in behind the frontal system will augment the accumulations, perhaps pushing them to 15cm or more during tomorrow. Winds will pick up later, with drifting of snow expected to add to the problems. In addition, a Polar disturbance moves S down the W Seaboard of the UK on Tuesday, bringing a period of heavy snowfall as it moves through Northern Ireland.

If you need to travel then please check the latest advisories and keep a winter travel kit in your vehicle