Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Cheers Paul...The caveat being, IF the shower can hold out... :D

Nah... Whitstable has been greedy and taken most, left some for Canterbury but I doubt much left for you the other side of the hills at Canterbury to Dover. :yahoo:

Seriously if you pump in CT5 in the radar and look at todays action Whitstable (CT5) has just been like a soup bowl, sucking in snow drop after snow drop, just like the 80's... it is the hill effect (surrounded by hills), no wind, not even a breeze here and its just been falling on and off for hours.

8)

Thank you Lord Almighty, God Bless everyone... its a sledge day tomorrow 8):yahoo:

Posted

Tomorrows Daily Mirror says it is the coldest in the UK for 30 years and the Big Freeze will last for 15 days

And the Daily Mirror is always right!!!!!!!!!!! oh boy, here we go, who needs ramping on here when we have our daily red tops to do it better.

By day 4 I predict that "Thousands will die" etc etc, scaring old people who can't afford to throw the Daily Mirror on the fire! lol

:yahoo:

Posted

Well this has made up for the CRAP 2009 , unforecasted heavy snow is always the best :yahoo:

Earlier today you felt let down by the non snow events only to get surprised snow. I would like you to feel let down from tomorrow so that this will be a lucky omen for all of us to get snow :D

I'm very surprised as it is still snowing here and settling quite well :yahoo:

Posted

Tomorrows Daily Mirror says it is the coldest in the UK for 30 years and the Big Freeze will last for 15 days

Whilst somewhat Off topic, but we have a real shot at the first 10 days being the coldest since 1894!

Anyway some good falls into Kent, can see now why the METO had a warning out for snow, seems to have come off for places south of the Thames and far SE Essex...Also very good falls occuring in E.Kent who missed out last time...

Still I'd rather have had snow now rather then before if I had to choose, this snowfall may just last for a good chunk of the month if some of the models are right!

Posted

It's always the unforecasted Snow which is the best, like the Thundersnow event from the Thames streamer in '05 or was it '04?

My memory is just so bad now. :wallbash:

Posted

This is just like a Lake Snow Effect (not as grand ofcourse) but same as I have seen in North America - No wind, just warmer water and the cloud just keeps building in front of land and dumping and dumping. Al be it is not massive dumping but the radar just builds and builds close to shore with the warmer sea, is hitting the Kent land and just dumping, like a sprinkler of icing being shaken. Really nice out, just went for walk along beach the waves just lapping the shore and white beaches.... calm and so quiet - very surreal experience!

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

This is just like a Lake Snow Effect (not as grand ofcourse) but same as I have seen in North America - No wind, just warmer water and the cloud just keeps building in front of land and dumping and dumping. Al be it is not massive dumping but the radar just builds and builds close to shore with the warmer sea, is hitting the Kent land and just dumping, like a sprinkler of icing being shaken. Really nice out, just went for walk along beach the waves just lapping the shore and white beaches.... calm and so quiet - very surreal experience!

Yeh i remember that living in whitstable too , some of the best snow events have happened near whitstable. This time though it's most of the north kent coast counties

Night Night , good luck this week :wallbash:

Guest FireStorm

mm mentions here of a downgrade?? I Guess the low pressure is moving too far south on this run??

ah well, Im sure by Thursday we'll have alot better idea whats happening as to be honest - its days away yet! Which means alot more model runs (more chances of things returning to a non prozac level) :wallbash:

Posted

Kold,

1894? good grief. Snow fairs on the Thames anyone?

As the records do go back that far I guess I will make preparations. i.e get the ski's out and get plenty of bread in, I have no intention of ever inflicting my family on my homemade bread again. in '91 the house was too cold for the dough to rise. Horrible, really awful stuff.

Thankfully I had cavity wall insulation put in two months ago, so house much warmer than usual.

I guess we will be radar watching all week, fair play to the met office who did forecast for Kent today.

Posted

Whilst somewhat Off topic, but we have a real shot at the first 10 days being the coldest since 1894!

Anyway some good falls into Kent, can see now why the METO had a warning out for snow, seems to have come off for places south of the Thames and far SE Essex...Also very good falls occuring in E.Kent who missed out last time...

Still I'd rather have had snow now rather then before if I had to choose, this snowfall may just last for a good chunk of the month if some of the models are right!

It's going to be an amazing 10 - 15 days of coldness. Outside in the Croydon Borough, there is a dusting of snow in which will be treacherous as this will turn to ice. The MetO should have put the Greater London under a warning?

Posted

Kold,

1894? good grief. Snow fairs on the Thames anyone?

As the records do go back that far I guess I will make preparations. i.e get the ski's out and get plenty of bread in, I have no intention of ever inflicting my family on my homemade bread again. in '91 the house was too cold for the dough to rise. Horrible, really awful stuff.

Thankfully I had cavity wall insulation put in two months ago, so house much warmer than usual.

I guess we will be radar watching all week, fair play to the met office who did forecast for Kent today.

rrrrr but if you watched the BBC you would have only got it in Ramsgate and Margate, and they have not seen as much. BBC south east tonight with Natalie was a joke, but I bet she will claim it tomorrow, which is total rubbish as she was saying Saturday, no snow Saturday or Sunday and maybe a little on Monday - total rubbish.

Well we are due a good freeze over you never know, but I think the low far south will kick in to Europe deliver the snow and may just break up the cold spell as it moves away, BUT then again it may not and the model does suggest it could be a nice long time in a cold spell!

Kill off the black widows and stuff that have just started to make home in Kent!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

It's always the unforecasted Snow which is the best, like the Thundersnow event from the Thames streamer in '05 or was it '04?

My memory is just so bad now. :wallbash:

'04. It was a front moving down from the north, not a Thames streamer.

Posted

It's going to be an amazing 10 - 15 days of coldness. Outside in the Croydon Borough, there is a dusting of snow in which will be treacherous as this will turn to ice. The MetO should have put the Greater London under a warning?

How many inches of snow has Croydon Borough Council been advised of this time? 50?

Posted

mm mentions here of a downgrade?? I Guess the low pressure is moving too far south on this run??

ah well, Im sure by Thursday we'll have alot better idea whats happening as to be honest - its days away yet! Which means alot more model runs (more chances of things returning to a non prozac level) :wallbash:

We will have snow on Tuesday night into Wednesday and more on Friday into the weekend. Intensity maybe slightly less, but all those days of snow will be quite a lot to contend with.

I remember it very well. Metcheck kept going on about a streamer forming and I did not take much notice until they said it was on it's way. It was called the Cheshire Gap Streamer.

Posted

Locally there was Thundersnow from a streamer in Feb 2005, I remember being amazred at how heavy the snow fell.

cj114, of course no certainties as it depends on just how cold it goes over the next 7 days but I'd say we have a 60-70% chance of that stat occuring, most severe cold spells/Jans tend to kick in after the 10th of Jan.

Posted

Current data for Linslade

04 January 2010 00:20:30

Temperature (°C):

Current -4.6

Trend (per hour) -0.6

Average today -4.4

Wind chill -4.6

Heat Index -4.6

Dew Point -5.8

Rel Humidity 91%

Wind (mph):

Current Gust 0.7 N

Average Speed 0.0 N

Pressure (mb):

Current 1023.3

Trend (per hour) -0.2

Posted

How many inches of snow has Croydon Borough Council been advised of this time? 50?

Put it this way, MetO have not sent warnings for light snowfall with the threat of ice. There will be a stern conversation to the MetO about this.

As for 50 inches, Advisory warning will be released during working hours today regarding the amount expected from Tuesday night.

Posted

Locally there was Thundersnow from a streamer in Feb 2005, I remember being amazred at how heavy the snow fell.

cj114, of course no certainties as it depends on just how cold it goes over the next 7 days but I'd say we have a 60-70% chance of that stat occuring, most severe cold spells/Jans tend to kick in after the 10th of Jan.

Yes that was it. It fell so quickly and the Thunder and lightning was amazing. Took my Husband 2hrs to drive 1 and a half miles!

Whatever happens this week I reckon it will be very interesting indeed. :cold:

Posted

And the Daily Mirror is always right!!!!!!!!!!! oh boy, here we go, who needs ramping on here when we have our daily red tops to do it better.

By day 4 I predict that "Thousands will die" etc etc, scaring old people who can't afford to throw the Daily Mirror on the fire! lol

nonono.gif

lol yeah and you never know it may actually snow round here too!

RMC I think Slough does almost as badly as Bracknell does.

Full moon here or full to the eye at least.

18z does reduce the snow risk next Friday. Ensembles in agreement with that too.

There's a snow risk for us? lol @ that! We'll see......seriously! I'd be surprised. Not much has yet convinced me otherwise.

Posted

Thats it I am off to my cozy bed, then up early to listen to bloody John Warnick on the radio to see if one of my kids has school or not, the other has a day off.... :cold:

Night night

Thats it I am off to my cozy bed, then up early to listen to bloody John Warnick on the radio to see if one of my kids has school or not, the other has a day off.... :cold:

Night night

Have you not been asked to change your avatar !?