• Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

eapr4m.jpg

r9hkar.jpg

Posted

What are the roads like in Maidstone. Got to get there from Deal. We've only had a dusting here.

It shouldn't be too bad there , worst hit areas are whitstable/tankerton/herne bay/reculver/north of canterbury

Posted

Morning all, Lovely photos Neilsouth

No snow here, wasn't expecting none though but still a excellent white frost covering

Temp here - 2.8 with a dew -4.3

Heres to a fun weather weekdrinks.gif

Posted

A dusting of snow grains on cars during the early evening last night. -5.0 DgC widely in Sussex, with a beautiful sunrise just starting.

Posted

Tuesday:

Rather cloudy with snow showers or longer spells of snow at times, these giving further accumulations over hills. Very cold with severe night frosts. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Snow showers or longer spells of snow will give further accumulations, risk of a more significant disruption event on Friday. Continuing very cold with severe frosts and occasionally strong winds.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/se/se_forecast_weather.html :drinks:

Posted

RUBBISH forecast by michael fish although the mention of heavy snow through the week

1) He didn't mention anything about our snow last night

2) RAIN , sleet and snow tomorrow with temps of 1C?!

Isn't he a forecaster here too

Posted

After the light covering of snow last night, it got down to -4c :cold::cold::cold:

The severe frost has covered the snow cover and made the pavements and roads treacherous.

Today's GFS, UKMO & ECM model runs are very good. The threat of snow from Tuesday pm is still on course.

GFS into FI 20th Jan shows a battle between cold v mild, and at the moment the cold wins. I know it is in FI, but it's the trend that is important to follow here. I have a feeling we may see upgrades as the week progresses.

Posted

RUBBISH forecast by michael fish although the mention of heavy snow through the week

1) He didn't mention anything about our snow last night

2) RAIN , sleet and snow tomorrow with temps of 1C?!

Isn't he a forecaster here too

Lol the B.B.C. won't mention the Snow until the 1 cm hits the London area then HEADLINE news fact,fact,fact.

Can some 1 please telephone Michael Fish and ask him if it's going to Snow in London ? :cold:

Posted

Very cold here last night, low down to around -5 and thick white frost coating all surfaces. Snow potential still looks good from Tues evening onwards. By Thursday, I'd expect a large part of the East to have around 5-10 cms of lying snow, possibly more in the favoured locations. The weekend blizzard still isn't nailed on yet and there is plenty of time for things to change, but don't be surprised if that low moves towards us again...

Posted

After the light covering of snow last night, it got down to -4c :cold::cold::cold:

The severe frost has covered the snow cover and made the pavements and roads treacherous.

Today's GFS, UKMO & ECM model runs are very good. The threat of snow from Tuesday pm is still on course.

GFS into FI 20th Jan shows a battle between cold v mild, and at the moment the cold wins. I know it is in FI, but it's the trend that is important to follow here. I have a feeling we may see upgrades as the week progresses.

yamkin where exactly in croydon are you , i only ask as i live in sutton which is about 5 miles to the west . it show just how localise snow can be as we got nothing again and only had a few cm during december .

Just noted Joe B updated thoughts on that storm track , such a shame but guess other opportunities will arise

Posted

Well whatever level of Snow on the ground it will stay for quite a long time and I have to agree the weekend is too far away for a detailed forecast. Look at the Snow before Christmas the B.B.C. hardly got anything right in the forecast, pinch of salt or rather a lot of it come to think of it lol. Trend on the B.B.C. should be 'and now lets take a look at the Nowcast' with ....

Edited by Blizzard_of_Oz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

-3.9c currently from a low of -6.8c the lowest i think ive seen my station read. looking foward to the fun and games later this week, not going to do my bank balance any favours though.

Posted

It's been down to -6.7c here overnight, a very hard frost. Currently -5.2c.

The BBC forecast is bemusing; it clearly shows rain with a little bit of snow on the band here and there as it comes down. I can't find any reason at all why it won't be snow apart from the fact the BBC are just snow haters.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

Run through that sequence and imagine the blue is white :cold:

Posted

Lol the B.B.C. won't mention the Snow until the 1 cm hits the London area then HEADLINE news fact,fact,fact.

Can some 1 please telephone Michael Fish and ask him if it's going to Snow in London ? :cold:

LOL I said exactly the same to someone on the phone earlier

Just watched the local news , No snow mention whatsoever :cold:

Posted

Just noted Joe B updated thoughts on that storm track , such a shame but guess other opportunities will arise

I think he's just covering himself. Overall he is still going for a memorable event:

After two days of the world wide Jan 1-10 temp challenges, the selected cities in the far east, north America and Europe combined stand at -6! The core of the cold is just starting its attack. This forecast was issued back at Christmas and its only now that the media picked up on my ideas.

The threat of crippling snows looks to be less for England as the storm track is too far southeast. However there will be plenty of snow in this part of Europe the next 7-10 days and we can all argue with each other on which was worse, the cold or snow. I am starting here because I appear I was overdone yesterday on the late week snow threat. It is going to snow, but not as much a I thought in over such a wide area. There will be areas that have their deepest winter snow cover in many years by the 10th.

But for the continent as a whole, this next week to 10 days will be as severe as any in the past 20 years. I hear talk of it being the worst in 100 years, I don't know about that, since I had not researched back that far. One could have snuck in without me seeing it. But the winter, as I opined earlier is going to one overall that will remind us of what Dickens would write about.

Overall the storm is moving further south and east and what spares England from the widespread extreme event ( Again most places are going to see significant snow over the next week to 10 days, but the specific storm threat is something I believe I erred on. I am sure my detractors will come after me.. which amuses me since most of them had no idea this kind of winter was on the way in the first place) However further southeast, it means the snow cover spreads back south again and it may even snow a second time on the Riviera... isn't that Nice?

Overall, for the continent, its the second surge, and worse than the first, of weather that leads to more hardship than the general European public was lead to believe would happen from the non private sources.

Now if you're a 'Joe follower' or not, he seems to be generally in line with other peoples/models predictions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny and Dry with a Hard Frost.

Joe does seem to have the most peculiar style of writing I have ever come across! A lot of it just doesn't make any kind of sense.

Anyway, the models this morning seem to suggest the shower activity down the eastern coast is going to continue fairly unabated for the time being! Whether the 'motherlode' of snow promised towards the end of the week ever makes it much further inland than the Kent/Sussex borders remains to be seen, as I don't quite buy the forecast easterly just yet.

Edited by MisfitDog3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

Fret ye not. If the LOW doesn't hit us hard next weekend there will be plenty of other potential LOW's to hit us before this winter's out I'm sure of that.