Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Fret ye not. If the LOW doesn't hit us hard next weekend there will be plenty of other potential LOW's to hit us before this winter's out I'm sure of that.

Now that has to be the best Forecast I have read on here so far, think I will come back in March then. lol

Posted

I'm just analysing my concerns for this week:

• Can I still see a lamppost from the lounge
  • How much of a dusting on Wednesday
  • Will I get off the driveway Thursday + Friday morning
  • Is there enough booze and Christmas eats left over when I can't get to the shops on Saturday
  • Do I need to bother digging snow any further than the edge of the front garden (2ft or 3ft accumulation)
  • -10 DgC in the next 10 days
  • Will I lose the internet connection to my work computer but retain it for the NW radar

:)

Posted

yamkin where exactly in croydon are you , i only ask as i live in sutton which is about 5 miles to the west . it show just how localise snow can be as we got nothing again and only had a few cm during december .

Just noted Joe B updated thoughts on that storm track , such a shame but guess other opportunities will arise

southbank, My location is Shirley which is about 6.7 miles to Sutton. Don't worry about Joe B's update as per my signature, he still thinks we will get a fair amount of snow. It will be interesting to see his update later today.

LOL I said exactly the same to someone on the phone earlier

Just watched the local news , No snow mention whatsoever :rofl:

BBC forecasters are just covering themselves. Tune into Sky News forecasts and they seem to give a better account of snowfall this week. They are very good especially during winter months.

Brace yourselves, sub zero members up o 10th Jan at the moment :):shok::):):):)

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/MT8_London_ens.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: We've hit the giant daddy jackpot!

I'm quite new to this forum. But I am not going to pull any punches in this particular posting. A snow shower here, another one there. A cm here or two. It's simply not good enough! What we all want and long for is a raging blizzard for 2 or 3 days with massive drifting and for the winter to be as severe as 1963 or 1947. It will come, it has to come. Enough said.

At the moment no warnings on the met office for Friday for any of the country what's going on?

Cause according to the overnight 18z and 0z the threat of snow has downgraded from what i have seen over on the model thread. Time to change but everything seems to have moved SE. Hoping and praying for upgrades but Friday is miles away in forecasting terms.

Yes hope so we just have to be patient if it dosent come on Friday will it come on Saturday?

Posted

At the moment no warnings on the met office for Friday for any of the country what's going on?

Cause according to the overnight 18z and 0z the threat of snow has downgraded from what i have seen over on the model thread. Time to change but everything seems to have moved SE. Hoping and praying for upgrades but Friday is miles away in forecasting terms.

Posted

Yes hope so we just have to be patient if it dosent come on Friday will it come on Saturday?

Honestly couldn't say, and it would be a brave man / woman to predict that 100%! Got excited yesterday when i saw the Country tracks forecast on youtube, should have known better - it's like the UK has a huge fan that blows the snow away as soon as it gets close!

Posted

Let's start with the MetO's latest 1-2 Days Update:

Tonight:

Continuing very cold with a severe frost. Thickening cloud will bring snow showers from the north later in the night. Some accumulations are likely, more especially over hills. Minimum temperature -5 °C.

Tuesday:

Rather cloudy with snow showers or longer spells of snow at times, these giving further accumulations over hills. Very cold with severe night frosts. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Updated: 0333 on Mon 4 Jan 2010

Here's the MetO latest Update for 3-5 Days:

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Snow showers or longer spells of snow will give further accumulations, risk of a more significant disruption event on Friday. Continuing very cold with severe frosts and occasionally strong winds.

MetO will make another update later in the day, but it is looking good at the moment. Their warnings for Friday will be updated in due course if they feel Friday will see a lot of snow for us. Double standards here at the moment I can see!!

Posted

That LP could still give a good 5 to 10cm over our region even if it does centre further SE. Whatever happens, with an Easterly we will get lots of showers coming in at the very worst.

Posted

Let's start with the MetO's latest 1-2 Days Update:

Tonight:

Continuing very cold with a severe frost. Thickening cloud will bring snow showers from the north later in the night. Some accumulations are likely, more especially over hills. Minimum temperature -5 °C.

Tuesday:

Rather cloudy with snow showers or longer spells of snow at times, these giving further accumulations over hills. Very cold with severe night frosts. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Here's the MetO latest Update for 3-5 Days:

Outlook for Wednesday to Friday:

Snow showers or longer spells of snow will give further accumulations, risk of a more significant disruption event on Friday. Continuing very cold with severe frosts and occasionally strong winds.

MetO will make another update later in the day, but it is looking good at the moment. Their warnings for Friday will be updated in due course if they feel Friday will see a lot of snow for us. Double standards here at the moment I can see!!

Any idea what time the update comes in? Think that may change a bit somehow!

Posted

Honestly couldn't say, and it would be a brave man / woman to predict that 100%! Got excited yesterday when i saw the Country tracks forecast on youtube, should have known better - it's like the UK has a huge fan that blows the snow away as soon as it gets close!

Don't be too downbeat. We are in such a wonderful winter period since December and it's only January. We have snow forecast this Tuesday where it looks like two days of continuous snow for us at the moment with more as the week progresses and into the weekend too.

There are strong indications that the cold period may carry on a lot longer.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

As I see it anyway, it could well be with a bit of luck that most of us will get enough snow to enjoy safely, but not these ridiculous amounts that will shut everything down.

Rather than concentrating on next weekends event, and hoping for armeggedon, it might be better to look at the snow opportunities for earlier in the week within a more reliable time period. It is possible that the crippling blizzard threat towards next weekend may not materialise.

But does that really matter?!

It might actually be as well it doesn't for the welfare of many of us - especially on the basis that by then nearly all of us will have plenty of snow to enjoy that can last in the cold air that looks to be with us for quite some time - but avoiding at the same the very unpleasant domestic and business side effects of anything extreme. Surely that is the best outcome to hope for.

Be careful what you wish for comes to mind.

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted

Any idea what time the update comes in? Think that may change a bit somehow!

Around lunch time

Posted

Don't be too downbeat. We are in such a wonderful winter period since December and it's only January. We have snow forecast this Tuesday where it looks like two days of continuous snow for us at the moment with more as the week progresses and into the weekend too.

There are strong indications that the cold period may carry on a lot longer.

I know Yamkin, and usually i'm the eternal optimist but i continually get excited over the prospects for things out at T120+ and usually get let down! That blizzard predicted for Friday may still happen but i'm trying not to get too excited! Is the snow coming Tuesday day time then? BBC having none of it i see.

Edited by Roadrunner

Posted

Wait until Thursday! :cc_confused:

More patience needed all round, when people are on here complaining they can't get out of their houses because it's piled up against the doors, then I know you'll all be satisfied :)

Posted

I'm quite new to this forum. But I am not going to pull any punches in this particular posting. A snow shower here, another one there. A cm here or two. It's simply not good enough! What we all want and long for is a raging blizzard for 2 or 3 days with massive drifting and for the winter to be as severe as 1963 or 1947. It will come, it has to come. Enough said.

Hear hear!

Surely this is a weather forum, to discuss weather and at the moment, cold. It is not just to discuss major blizzards and severe weather, if it's too dull and boring for you, maybe you've found the wrong site. Espicially if your intent on moaning every 15 minutes if you don't get a blizzard or heavy snow.

Edited by Hammer

Posted

The fantastic weather forecast with Tomasz yesterday was quite honestly the best I have ever seen. Im 26 years old.

BUT i watched this with pure caution, I was excited yet I kept my feet firmly on the ground.

As much as I would love to see the projected Fridays SNOW event happen I knew in my heart of hearts that the Snowy map from the BBC was never going to materialise.

This is just purely my own opinion, I think the Snow will pull away South East leaving the SE with mostly sunny and occasional snow showers through the weekend.

However Tuesday looks good to leave at least an inch of snow here, The we have Wednesday and Thursday which to be fair, pretty much anything can happen. The north sea is a snow machine and the showers I imagine will push well inland.

Posted

The fantastic weather forecast with Tomasz yesterday was quite honestly the best I have ever seen. Im 26 years old.

BUT i watched this with pure caution, I was excited yet I kept my feet firmly on the ground.

As much as I would love to see the projected Fridays SNOW event happen I knew in my heart of hearts that the Snowy map from the BBC was never going to materialise.

This is just purely my own opinion, I think the Snow will pull away South East leaving the SE with mostly sunny and occasional snow showers through the weekend.

However Tuesday looks good to leave at least an inch of snow here, The we have Wednesday and Thursday which to be fair, pretty much anything can happen. The north sea is a snow machine and the showers I imagine will push well inland.

Archie, you need to remember that if it can happen so for example it was trending towards a major event of some kind at the weekend, it may well happen, in weather, nothing is 100% guaranteed. In fact tomorrow we could see major snow, or little. It really is an example of why in a cold weather setup, snow events often appear at say 2-3 days notice, rather than 5-6 days notice. However the fact it is hinted at, is a great sign.

Posted

I asked this yesterday but think it got lost and i didnt get a reply.

In the USA in place around the great lakes, NYC and Washington DC, do you think there are people on weather forums such as this one biting their nails to see if their wish of deep snow arrives or is their snow more or less nailed on from T144 once it appears on the charts? Is this simply because the lakes are so huge a greater amount of convection occurs and snow is more or less guaranteed?

Posted

As I see it anyway, it could well be with a bit of luck that most of us will get enough snow to enjoy safely, but not these ridiculous amounts that will shut everything down.

Rather than concentrating on next weekends event, and hoping for armeggedon, it might be better to look at the snow opportunities for earlier in the week within a more reliable time period. It is possible that the crippling blizzard threat towards next weekend may not materialise.

But does that really matter?!

It might actually be as well it doesn't for the welfare of many of us - especially on the basis that by then nearly all of us will have plenty of snow to enjoy that can last in the cold air that looks to be with us for quite some time - but avoiding at the same the very unpleasant domestic and business side effects of anything extreme. Surely that is the best outcome to hope for.

Be careful what you wish for comes to mind.

I have to disagree.

What if we are in the start of a period of severe winters for 10 to 20 years or even longer? This is possible and we must adjust accordingly. For too long now we have been spoilt with mild winters and hot summers (spanning approximately 25 years). The economics of Scandinavian countries (or Canada) are not affected by cold snow bound weather.

Posted

Surely this is a weather forum, to discuss weather and at the moment, cold. It is not just to discuss major blizzards and severe weather, if it's too dull and boring for you, maybe you've found the wrong site. Espicially if your intent on moaning every 15 minutes if you don't get a blizzard or heavy snow.

This is a COLD weather forum. Conversation and information on winter aspects for our region thanks very much. But for the record:

Local temp: 2 deg C

Slight frost, clear and calm conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything and everything

Please be very careful if you plan to drive any where in the next few days or this may happen.

http://ca.video.yahoo.com/watch/6681017/17353081 :)

ouch just goes to show how dangerous it can be. I've got a journey planned for Sat from SE Essex to nr Hertford.. Watching this potential weather with a mix of excitement and worry now. So far away yet though, so enjoying the roller coaster ride in the meantime and will worry about it later in the week