Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 14

Ross B

Posted

Hi; been lurking here + reading the general model output threads since 2004 :( working at home today :( & enjoying the covering that we still have here at Victoria Park in Edinburgh (unheard of in these parts)

thanks to all for the informative posts; what a great site!

Is it possible for snow from Fife to make it over the Forth to Ednburgh? (or does it have to be from the East?)

crossing everything for a snowy dog walk later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

That was a typically broad brush forecast by them Blitzen. True, if the high is sitting on top of us by then it would cut off any convective fetch. Metoffice pressure charts show it on top of us by Thurs/Fri but with some easterly chances before and after that happens. The ECM charts that LS posted give us the best likiliehod but I must admit I do feel snow is in the balance from the Tay to the Forth for the rest of the week. Despite it being tantilisingly close most of the time,

Edit: Today for example the nearest convective string of snow showers is sliding down to the east of us - somehere between here and Lauder. I'm not convinced from the radar that it'll make sufficient progress west to bother us.

Just caught News 24 (ahem!) and they were talking about picking up a direct easterly from Thursday. Unfortunately, this looked as if it would only give precipitation from northern England down to the south east. Is the flow from the east being pushed lower down due to the incoming high?

Edited by by-tor

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Let's hope it hits here too!

Hee hee LS you never know your luck!! it might just happen :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

We are picking up a direct northerly at the moment (yuk!) dewpoint -4.1c.

Posted

Major winter storm here now heavy drifting snow, -1c and fresh to strong NNE wind, years since I have seen it so bad. Visibility about 100 metres can only imagine how bad it must be higher up than here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What direction is the wind up north. We are flat calm here!

Seems to be NE? But, it varies????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

NNE wind here. sky is ominous. Anything in Haddington yet Calum?

heavyish snow here (not big flakes). Are u certain all school's in east lothian are gonna be shut , got a link?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Hi; been lurking here + reading the general model output threads since 2004 :lol: working at home today :lol: & enjoying the covering that we still have here at Victoria Park in Edinburgh (unheard of in these parts)

Is it possible for snow from Fife to make it over the Forth to Ednburgh? (or does it have to be from the East?)

We would gladly let you have some if we had any to give! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Hi; been lurking here + reading the general model output threads since 2004 rolleyes.gif working at home today whistling.gif & enjoying the covering that we still have here at Victoria Park in Edinburgh (unheard of in these parts)

crossing everything for a snowy dog walk later.

It is entirely possible, especially today with the winds from the northeast. I'm hoping it won't just skirt round the east side of Fife before hitting Edinburgh as that would be utter hell for everyone in Fife seeing the snow missing by about 5 miles! My rule for today for any Fifers looking for snow - if SP33 / Sawel report it, then we're getting hit. If not, then probably not. Edinburgh has a bit of a higher chance of seeing it as it has more southerly direction to push westwards a bit. Anywhere that gets hit is likely to see quite a lot of snow, but as always there will be people who are left disappointed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Major winter storm here now heavy drifting snow, -1c and fresh to strong NNE wind, years since I have seen it so bad. Visibility about 100 metres can only imagine how bad it must be higher up than here

Absolutely agree, NL...Only about zero here, but the black ice is causing major problems!

Posted

It is entirely possible, especially today with the winds from the northeast. I'm hoping it won't just skirt round the east side of Fife before hitting Edinburgh as that would be utter hell for everyone in Fife seeing the snow missing by about 5 miles! My rule for today for any Fifers looking for snow - if SP33 / Sawel report it, then we're getting hit. If not, then probably not. Edinburgh has a bit of a higher chance of seeing it as it has more southerly direction to push westwards a bit. Anywhere that gets hit is likely to see quite a lot of snow, but as always there will be people who are left disappointed.

great stuff, thanks for that

last night was frustrating in Edinburgh; drizzly sleety light snow that never got going in spite of the radar promising otherwise

Posted

heavy snowfall here now , near whiteout! , temp at -2.8C

Posted

Did you not have any snow last night?

A small covering.....nothing worth talking about

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Think the story here LS will be an Embra near-miss as well. The radar shows its to our east .. Haddington (perfect for Snowy Owl/ Calum) and its now also due south of us at Peebles. Its a classic and repeatable near-miss winter situation here. Unless the flow goes ENE - or somehow those convective strings somehow all get shunted 10-20 miles westwards - then its going to be a no-snow-show here.

Shouldn't complain - we have enough snow here just now. But I want to share in the fun from up north.

Edit: and with this being day 20 of this spell since the first snow fell on Dec 17th ... I just know that I'm going to be hacked off with the BBC/media going crazy about the cold-spell now its happening in the south of England.

Edited by by-tor

Posted

Meto expecting 5-10cm, but we could get more , can't find anything saying east lothian school's are shut?

EDIT : never mind , have conformation from the council

"Following the most recent Met Office forecast advising there will be severe snow falls (up to 15 cm) throughout East Lothian from 6.00pm this evening a decision has been made to take the precautionary measure of closing all East Lothian Schools tomorrow (Wednesday 6th January) for pupils. Decisions about school openings on Thursday 7th January will be made by 3.00pm tomorrow and updated on this website."

drinks.gif

yay! extra day off!

Edited by Calum