Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 14

Ross B

Posted

Just incase the server blows up again here given the Meto Warning for the South, I've popped a Scottish Cold Spell discussion thread for any refugees on Winterhighland here .

Wind really picking up in Inverness, not been much wind so far in this cold spell so now the problems are really piling up on the roads, bit like the snow! :yahoo:

Edited by skifreak

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

can you send that band of snow up there to cumbria please lol

looks like your getting a pasting.... and if that was in the south of england now it would be extreme warning!!!

Posted

Just incase the server blows up again here given the Meto Warning for the South, I've popped a Scottish Cold Spell discussion thread for any refugees on Winterhighland here .

Wind really picking up in Inverness, not been much wind so far in this cold spell so now the problems are really piling up on the roads, bit like the snow! :yahoo:

Agreed there is a fair wind up here now..........approx 30mph according to Dalcross (I need to go and free up my weather station snow has piled up on it!!!)

Whiteout conditions and the roads are sheet ice in some cases. The gritter lorry advised not to tackle Drumossie Brae as there were cars already stuck on the ice!

A9 will also start to get difficult if the snow drifts

Posted

Well guys, looks like us soft southerners are finally going to get more than a dusting :(

I wonder what it would take for a Met office 'take action' warning for very heavy snow in Scotland!?

It would take "The Day After Tomorrow", even then i bet it would be a report of...

Cold with occasional snow showers with sleet on the coast!!

:rofl:

Posted

Thats a lot of snow developing over the north of the country. With the really cold uppers flowing over still relatively warm waters its a bit like the lake effect snow you see around the Great Lakes. Its being pushed in on quite a strong North Easterly wind.

Normally I'd say there would be little chance of any of it reaching Central/Southern Scotland and would get eaten up by the mountains but it doesnt seem to breaking up much and theres plenty more behind it. Its on a path down the A9.

Might be worth a watch!

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

Thats a lot of snow developing over the north of the country. With the really cold uppers flowing over still relatively warm waters its a bit like the lake effect snow you see around the Great Lakes. Its being pushed in on quite a strong North Easterly wind.

Normally I'd say there would be little chance of any of it reaching Central/Southern Scotland and would get eaten up by the mountains but it doesnt seem to breaking up much and theres plenty more behind it. Its on a path down the A9.

Might be worth a watch!

there is much more snow to come for southern Scotland :(

Posted

Might be worth a watch!

I was thinking that myself, I have enough snow as it is but I am just a bit greedy and want more more more!:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

some nice looking showers starting to make there way into East Lothian/Eastern Borders region now , heavy in some parts.

Currently got a lot of Cumulonimbus's around here with temp at -4.6c just now

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by Calum

Posted

Sustained heavy snow showers here all morning about another 3 inches plus strong winds blowing it about.Decisions should be made now about everyone getting home early today as this snowfall is becoming very dangerous, Could hardly see to feed the sheep in open exposed fields.

Posted

Sustained heavy snow showers here all morning about another 3 inches plus strong winds blowing it about.Decisions should be made now about everyone getting home early today as this snowfall is becoming very dangerous, Could hardly see to feed the sheep in open exposed fields.

Stick it on a postcard, addressed "Aberdeen", we'll gladly have it!!

But yeah your right...plans should be made for people getting home early...the media could help a bit with that but unless it occurs in England it wont happen!!

why is there a huge corridor of "no snow", heading right for aberdeen? North by 30 miles or south by 30 miles and its looking good....Arggghhhh :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

How very annoying!! Snow on-and-off, but the combination of strong wind and slightly above zero temperature is melting it as fast as it's landing... :bomb::bomb::cray::cray::cray::cray:

Edit: now lashing down with graupel - which is lying!

Posted

there is much more snow to come for southern Scotland :bomb:

It will find some way of missing Embra I promise you - we need an easterly!

Blizzards in Haddington, Livinsgton, Penicuik etc but bone dry here - you wait !

Posted

How very annoying!! Snow on-and-off, but the combination of strong wind and slightly above zero temperature is melting it as fast as it's landing... cray.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gifcray.gif

I noticed that its being recorded as heavy snow at Inverness Airport on XC. I take it you are lower than the airport and closer to the coast?

Posted

How very annoying!! Snow on-and-off, but the combination of strong wind and slightly above zero temperature is melting it as fast as it's landing... :whistling::pardon::cray: :cray: :cray: :cray:

I bet it isn't as bad as no snow at all? :nea: Of-course if you don't want it, you can send to Fife :D:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

still no snow here at the moment but hoping the showers will pep up a bit and give us another few cm's biggrin.gif

Posted

How very annoying!! Snow on-and-off, but the combination of strong wind and slightly above zero temperature is melting it as fast as it's landing... :pardon::cray::cray::cray::cray::nea:

Are you sticking out into the sea somewhere? I'm just along from the RNI and it's +1, but not thawing, though falling snow was very wet for a bit. Had some hail, possibly thunder, but it might have been snow sliding of a roof somewhere! Looking at the road cams maybe just as well I didnt go skiing today, was going to be up the 'Gorm first thing - but really had way to much to do, though tbh, its not getting done... bloody webcams! :whistling:

Posted

Blizzards in Haddington, Livinsgton, Penicuik etc but bone dry here - you wait !

Yep and the uppers at -9ºC, so cold enough to settle even at the coast if the wind were to swing round a bit... But all that is forecast is a straight NE'ly for the next 12-24hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Are you sticking out into the sea somewhere? I'm just along from the RNI and it's +1, but not thawing, though falling snow was very wet for a bit. Had some hail, possibly thunder, but it might have been snow sliding of a roof somewhere! Looking at the road cams maybe just as well I didnt go skiing today, was going to be up the 'Gorm first thing - but really had way to much to do, though tbh, its not getting done... bloody webcams! :rolleyes:

Aye SF. I'm right by the harbour...And, I can hear the hail on my roof! :cold::cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Joe, I'm well used to that outcome. Thats been the norm since I first got the weather bug as a kid in the '70's. From NW to NE ... ie a whole 90 degrees worth of the source of cold snow-bearing air - always leaves us dry and sunny (nothing wrong with that of course, its a beautiful day out there).

However, I can see the showers streaming down the far East-Lothian/Berwickshire coast to our right. The good news is that all the shower activity on the radar - country wide - has an easterly component in it just now (theres some westwards movement...).And from Dundee to Fife to Edinburgh (and through the central belt) ... we need some some backing into the East to land the white stuff. I reckon its in the balance but LS posted a few charts that indicate its more likely as the day goes on. Watch the radar/nowcasting is the best advice as usual.

Posted

Joe, I'm well used to that outcome. Thats been the norm since I first got the weather bug as a kid in the '70's. From NW to NE ... ie a whole 90 degrees worth of the source of cold snow-bearing air - always leaves us dry and sunny (nothing wrong with that of course, its a beautiful day out there).

However, I can see the showers streaming down the far East-Lothian/Berwickshire coast to our right. The good news is that all the shower activity on the radar - country wide - has an easterly component in it just now (theres some westwards movement...).And from Dundee to Fife to Edinburgh (and through the central belt) ... we need some some backing into the East to land the white stuff. I reckon its in the balance but LS posted a few charts that indicate its more likely as the day goes on. Watch the radar/nowcasting is the best advice as usual.

Radar says to me a brief (say 45mins) but potent band of snow into Fife and Edinburgh about 5pm.

Posted

Wind really picking up in Inverness, not been much wind so far in this cold spell so now the problems are really piling up on the roads, bit like the snow! :good:

Bookmarked for later.. :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Even just another 5 degrees just East of NE ... might be enough. Not much to ask ! :good:

Yep and the uppers at -9ºC, so cold enough to settle even at the coast if the wind were to swing round a bit... But all that is forecast is a straight NE'ly for the next 12-24hrs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Are you sticking out into the sea somewhere? I'm just along from the RNI and it's +1, but not thawing, though falling snow was very wet for a bit. Had some hail, possibly thunder, but it might have been snow sliding of a roof somewhere! Looking at the road cams maybe just as well I didnt go skiing today, was going to be up the 'Gorm first thing - but really had way to much to do, though tbh, its not getting done... bloody webcams! :good:

I can confirm the thunder hail / snow, saw a small flashing of lightning!