Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 14

Ross B

Posted

Yes these showers on the radar coming up the Firth look set for a wee while methinks!!

Unless they dive south before coming any further west!!!!:good:

Edited by Gilly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Its one of the setups that the MO get wrong time and time again for these parts (they get this one wrong over decades , you'd think they'd learn). We're tucked in under Fife, Tayside/Angus, the Eastern Grampians /Aberdeenshire in this situation. Unless the flow goes just E of NE that means we won't get a sniff of it.

Met office site has snow showers becoming frequent and heavier in lothian and borders how are they forecasting this with a northerly? only the extreme coastal parts will catch any going from past experience, am i missing something here any views??

Edited by by-tor

Its one of the setups that the MO get wrong time and time again for these parts (they get this one wrong over decades , you'd think they'd learn). We're tucked in under Fife, Tayside/Angus, the Eastern Grampians /Aberdeenshire in this situation. Unless the flow goes just E of NE that means we won't get a sniff of it.

Wind looks borderline at a NE if I am reading the charts correctly. So you may grasp some showers later today :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Now, there's a criticism of the MetO I agree with...I've often found here that, if the wind is between NNW and NNE all the snow goes either down the West coast or over Aberdeenshire; all the other showers being snuffed-out by Caithness...But, the MetO will always forecast heavy snowfalls for Inverness! :lol:

Which, is why I always look for a NW or NE wind. Although a NEelry needs to be much more precisely aligned, IMO? :lol:

Posted

Though there's a band of showers out to the east stretching almost to Aberdeen that looks like it's getting quite organised to me. Might be something for a few of us in the east later?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

By evening though, that is exactly what the flow does

PPVE89.png

Before that, we just have to hope that some of those showers track their way down the coast and southeast towards us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Now, there's a criticism of the MetO I agree with...I've often found here that, if the wind is between NNW and NNE all the snow goes either down the West coast or over Aberdeenshire; all the other showers being snuffed-out by Caithness...But, the MetO will always forecast heavy snowfalls for Inverness! :)

Which, is why I always look for a NW or NE wind. Although a NEelry needs to be much more precisely aligned, IMO? :)

Just like Hogmanay :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

yes well it's snowing here too but of course up goes the temp/dp to 1.8/1.1 so no accumulation. :)

Looking like -8C uppers will arrive by lunchtime... :)

Posted

I'm hopeful for something later, but I'm doubting it :)

Not to worry, got (at least 1) day off school! Hopefully, LS's school remained closed :)

Edit: Sorry, missed your earlier post :)

Edited by snowmess

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I'm hopeful for something later, but I'm doubting it doh.gif

Not to worry, got (at least 1) day off school! Hopefully, LS's school remained closed good.gif

I hope so, otherwise technically I'm skiivingrofl.gif

Posted

Very, very, very, very heavy snow in Inverness now! Dear God!!

Posted

It's now only heavy snow :girl_devil:

That was an insane shower!

Posted

Now that's a chart and a half!

Recm1921.gif

Posted

drinks.gif Enjoy!

Cheers :girl_devil: These showers coming down the Firth are quite the heavyweights!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Would be possibilities there CMD. Just a few degrees towards North from NE though and we'd still miss them (from an Embra perspectivee) ... even a NE flow often sees activity just playing with East Lothian/Berwickshire. Just a smidgeon East of NE and its game on. Also I guess there'd be more chance of any activity making it right through to you :o

By-tor:

A little bit like this :)

Posted

Would be possibilities there CMD. Just a few degrees towards North from NE though and we'd still miss them (from an Embra perspectivee) ... even a NE flow often sees activity just playing with East Lothian/Berwickshire. Just a smidgeon East of NE and its game on. Also I guess there'd be more chance of any activity making it right through to you good.gif

Yep, the difference between NE and ENE is pretty stark - ENE is probably the best direction for northeast Fife, but anymore northerly and we miss out completely! I think patience is required in radar watching today, as the winds won't turn until later on in the day.

Cheers :o These showers coming down the Firth are quite the heavyweights!

After last night's shower from the north, I wouldn't bet against at least some remnants of your heavy duty showers making it all the way south to the central belt by late afternoon/early evening.

Indeed, looking at the charts I think there is every chance of even this far west catching some snow in the next 48-96 hours as the low sinks south and the pressure falls slack. Did we not get unexpected snow in slack flows earlier in this cold spell??