Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 14

Ross B

Posted

I am sending snow here vibes up north, i need some snow....its like coffee, i need that every morning, i need snow in the winter(falling snow i mean)whistling.gif

All over my facebook my english friends are moaning about the snow. Why???? They knew it was coming. Geez they should be gratefulwhistling.gif

I lived in Dorset on the coast for 35years and believe me an inch of snow causes major chaos!!!LOL

The worst period was the heavy snow of the 81/82 which caused power cuts and shortages.....roads were shut for days.......a nightmare.

Seriously, they are not geared up for snow and in the south have very little salt and grit in stock for any such event. People panic at a flurry because they rarely see it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I was in Milton Keynes until 1988, Gilly; but by-and-large I find the Highlands' weather much more to my liking...That said, the blizzard of January 1982 was a corker! :cold:

Posted

Just a few cms overnight and currently -2c. Sky to the north over the Firth looks full of snow so it looks as though we will get more today, 18th day of permenant snow cover. One of the most surreal things is looking out of the ground floor windows of the house every morning and thinking the ground is coming up to meet you or you are shrinking. I also think it has been great that it has been timed over the holidays as many kids have been able to take advatage of fantastic sledging and will remember this snow event all their lives,a perfect Christmas present.

Posted

Just a few cms overnight and currently -2c. Sky to the north over the Firth looks full of snow so it looks as though we will get more today, 18th day of permenant snow cover. One of the most surreal things is looking out of the ground floor windows of the house every morning and thinking the ground is coming up to meet you or you are shrinking. I also think it has been great that it has been timed over the holidays as many kids have been able to take advatage of fantastic sledging and will remember this snow event all their lives,a perfect Christmas present.

Thought I would add that the radar appears to show a snow streamer forming in the Firth and heading straight for us, how much more will there be by the end of the day? Update a curtain of snow appraching from the coast just now.

Woke up to a few cms of snow here. Schools are shut because the roads are like glass with ice. :) One of the lochs have completely frozen over that hasn't happend in decades!

You can watch Barra live from my house http://www.barraweather.com/webcam.php

Is that rain showing on the webcam or snow melting on contact with the window?? Looks like snow to me through the wet pane.

That reminds me of Feb 96 here. A stalling front left 2ft of snow and watching it fall was really strange because as you say, eventually it is as if the ground is rising to meet the snow.

Is that rain showing on the webcam or snow melting on contact with the window?? Looks like snow to me through the wet pane.

Its snow melting melting on the window. Its been snowing here for the last 10 minutes and no sign of it stopping yet. Will try to get a few pics.

Posted

Thought I would add that the radar appears to show a snow streamer forming in the Firth and heading straight for us, how much more will there be by the end of the day? Update a curtain of snow appraching from the coast just now.

It looks like there's some heading straight down the Firth towards Inverness...Or, is that wishful thinking!

Posted

I was in Milton Keynes until 1988, Gilly; but by-and-large I find the Highlands' weather much more to my liking...That said, the blizzard of January 1982 was a corker! :shok:

I am from this area.........grew up here and came home because I preferred the weather and the slower pace of life.

Summers in Poole and Bournemouth were often so hot and humid....... bordering on being very uncomfortable some years. Having said all that the summer of 2009 was perfect up here...:)

Posted

Snowing heavily here now and looks as though it may be on for the day if the radar is correct.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

I am from this area.........grew up here and came home because I preferred the weather and the slower pace of life.

Summers in Poole and Bournemouth were often so hot and humid....... bordering on being very uncomfortable some years. Having said all that the summer of 2009 was perfect up here...:shok:

I think Invernessians complain far too much that the weather isn't to their liking, it's either too cold and rainy or not enough snow. In reality, rain is very light in Inverness, summer can be beautiful (especially late spring, May time can be stunning) and you're far more likely to see snow in Inverness than any other city with the exception of Aberdeen. Also, the fog basin effect Inverness can be freezing with the freezing fog and hoar frost days which are brilliant :whistling:

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Looks like the central belt will miss out once again while the rest of the country north and south of us gets plastered with big falls of snow.

Morning

Yeah we've had a sprinkling of new snow (last night at about 11pm) although i would say as winds swing round further east and perks up a bit maybe later on we'll be lucky?

Posted

Summers in Poole and Bournemouth were often so hot and humid....... bordering on being very uncomfortable some years. Having said all that the summer of 2009 was perfect up here...:)

Aye, that was a lovely summer. The most thunderstorms I've ever seen up here; and I do love thunderstorms. I just don't miss the hot humid nights that often go with them...

Anyhoo, it's getting black over Will's! :)

Posted

It looks like there's some heading straight down the Firth towards Inverness...Or, is that wishful thinking!

Certainly looking like a snowy day Pete, those showers are intensifying as they come down the Firth!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Impressive temperature drop there at Embra Airport this last few hours, -10c at 9AM.

Wasn't epectimg a double-digit frost there when I went to bed last night...

Posted

No I think you will get some too and judging by the behaviour of all the animals on the farm yesterday a storm was approaching as they all become very tame with even the grumpiest cats sharing the warm spots side by side in the hay store , we have even had hares coming to feed from the turnip pit overnight judging by the tracks and a woodcock feeding in the straw shed. Nature is starting to show signs of stress because of the duration of the cold and shooting of wildfowl has been banned by the Scottish Government because a lot of wading birds feeding areas are frozen and their survival is in doubt.

Posted

Aye, that was a lovely summer. The most thunderstorms I've ever seen up here; and I do love thunderstorms. I just don't miss the hot humid nights that often go with them...

Anyhoo, it's getting black over Will's! :)

Oh God, the rain during those thunderstorms was insane! :)

Posted

Looks like the central belt will miss out once again while the rest of the country north and south of us gets plastered with big falls of snow.

Welcome to netweather, PB! :)

Posted

Met office site has snow showers becoming frequent and heavier in lothian and borders how are they forecasting this with a northerly? only the extreme coastal parts will catch any going from past experience, am i missing something here any views??

Posted

I think Invernessians complain far too much that the weather isn't to their liking, it's either too cold and rainy or not enough snow. In reality, rain is very light in Inverness, summer can be beautiful (especially late spring, May time can be stunning) and you're far more likely to see snow in Inverness than any other city with the exception of Aberdeen. Also, the fog basin effect Inverness can be freezing with the freezing fog and hoar frost days which are brilliant :good:

I think you are right......we actually have one of the best climates in the UK...certainly one of the most interesting. I take great pleasure in its variety.