Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 14

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

2.3/0.5, big wind picked up in the last few mins; sky's cleared a bit too, although radar indicates something is on its way. Rain probably. :yahoo: :lol: :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Oh dear! the Meto isn't half taking a hammering on News24! Basically saying that this is the 2nd long range forecast that they have got wrong. Questions being asked why on -line weather sites (Netweather?) were calling a cold one 2 months ago!

Posted

Oh dear! the Meto isn't half taking a hammering on News24! Basically saying that this is the 2nd long range forecast that they have got wrong. Questions being asked why on -line weather sites (Netweather?) were calling a cold one 2 months ago!

I'll need to look for that online.

Definitely in January 1982. There might have been some in December 1995 - I saw a lot of ice on the Tay at Perth then - but I'm not sure. You're not saying you saw some today are you?!

Yes there were chunks of ice several metres across floating down between the bridges at 9.30am.

Posted

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8439865.stm

"Curlers are hoping to stage an outdoor Grand Match for the first time in more than 30 years.

They have begun to mark out rinks on the Lake of Menteith near Aberfoyle, which has not frozen sufficiently for curling since 2001. "

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

2.3/0.5, big wind picked up in the last few mins; sky's cleared a bit too, although radar indicates something is on its way. Rain probably. :mellow::bomb: :smilz38:

Driving sleet here! :shok::mellow::shok::cray::cray::cray::fool::fool::bad::bad:

Posted
  • Location: South Lanarkshire Glasgow. Lat : 55.8N Lon : 4.1W ASL : 71m

afternoon folks today's radar looks like it could give Edinburgh and Glasgow more snow this afternoon and into the evening. bring it on :cc_confused:

Posted

Yes there were chunks of ice several metres across floating down between the bridges at 9.30am.

I'll need to go and have a look! Wonder if the docks have any ice in them yet?

Posted

afternoon folks today's radar looks like it could give Edinburgh and Glasgow more snow this afternoon and into the evening. bring it on :)

I hope so.... :) Everyone else is stealing our snow :) :)

-----

Temp: -0.7C

Dew Point: -5.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Hi all

I have just joined, but I have been lurking for a long time. I have been watching the radar the past few days and we always seem to miss out wallbash.gifhere in Perth. My boys were hoping to get a snow day, but I don't see it happening. Is there a chance if wind changes to a more ENE it might push some snow in our direction ??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Thursday looks more certain for us at the moment as we should be in a more direct easterly? Of course that is better for my area. I think LS was saying that an ENE was due later on this evening tho'

Welcome to the forum by the way!

Edited by Blitzen

Posted

so after nearly two weeks of snow lying in Scotland and sub zero temperatures there was never a red alert put out by the met-office today south east England receives the highest warning today for the first time this winter. the met-office are a complete joke prepare for around the clock news coverage of every flake of snow that falls on the SE :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Driving sleet here! :yahoo::doh::):):):cray::):doh::bad::bad:

just had a snow shower, quite impressive for about 2 mins; more to come if they don't all slide to one side or the other again! (1.9/0.4 now, still rather windy)

Well guys, looks like us soft southerners are finally going to get more than a dusting :good:

I wonder what it would take for a Met office 'take action' warning for very heavy snow in Scotland!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

so after nearly two weeks of snow lying in Scotland and sub zero temperatures there was never a red alert put out by the met-office today south east England receives the highest warning today for the first time this winter. the met-office are a complete joke prepare for around the clock news coverage of every flake of snow that falls on the SE :(

No doubt we'll hear the usual reasons: population density...infrastructure...London centre of the universe...blah blah blah.

I think the last few weeks has underscored the need for a Scots Met O asap and don't get me started on their long-range forecasts guesses. Another near miss for this winter... :good:

Posted

Well guys, looks like us soft southerners are finally going to get more than a dusting :good:

I wonder what it would take for a Met office 'take action' warning for very heavy snow in Scotland!?

so after nearly two weeks of snow lying in Scotland and sub zero temperatures there was never a red alert put out by the met-office today south east England receives the highest warning today for the first time this winter. the met-office are a complete joke prepare for around the clock news coverage of every flake of snow that falls on the SE :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Well guys, looks like us soft southerners are finally going to get more than a dusting :(

A new ice age. Possibly. :good:

Posted

Well guys, looks like us soft southerners are finally going to get more than a dusting :yahoo:

I think we might get past the Advisory stage if conditions mimicked that film with Dennis Quaid - You know, the one with freezing helicopters and stuff, I think there was some snow in that as well :rolleyes: .

GFS and the METO failed to pick it up and the General Model discussion was full of IMBY's and NIMBY's :whistling:

Hope you get your snow buddy :good:

Posted

Well guys, looks like us soft southerners are finally going to get more than a dusting :yahoo:

I think we might get past the Advisory stage if conditions mimicked that film with Dennis Quaid - You know, the one with freezing helicopters and stuff, I think there was some snow in that as well :rolleyes: .

GFS and the METO failed to pick it up and the General Model discussion was full of IMBY's and NIMBY's :whistling:

Hope you get your snow buddy :good:

Posted

Seems to be quite a bit going on today!! So to save me trawling through all the pages, LS or others with the knowledge............are we going to get a snow event down the east side tonight........or are we going to suffer the terrible shadow of the mountains from the north ???cc_confused.gifcc_confused.gif . Good lump developing to our north now.

Posted

Just looked at that ECM 0Z again

If that verified it would snow on and off here from Sun to next Thurs (and beyond) - we'd end up with stupendous amounts

Unbelievable if that came off but has support from the UKMO :whistling:

Posted

Just looked at that ECM 0Z again

If that verified it would snow on and off here from Sun to next Thurs (and beyond) - we'd end up with stupendous amounts

Unbelievable if that came off but has support from the UKMO :rolleyes:

ukmo not interested in Scotland :whistling: