Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 14

Ross B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Think the story here LS will be an Embra near-miss as well. The radar shows its to our east .. Haddington (perfect for Snowy Owl/ Calum) and its now also due south of us at Peebles. Its a classic and repeatable near-miss winter situation here. Unless the flow goes ENE - or somehow those convective strings somehow all get shunted 10-20 miles westwards - then its going to be a no-snow-show here.

Shouldn't complain - we have enough snow here just now. But I want to share in the fun from up north.

Edit: and with this being day 20 of this spell since the first snow fell on Dec 17th ... I just know that I'm going to be hacked off with the BBC/media going crazy about the cold-spell now its happening in the south of England.

That snow is not the main band though. That's merely a wee convection shower ahead of the main band. Sky looking very red to the northeast now, just need the wind to veer ever so slightly more to the east as the evening goes on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Meto expecting 5-10cm, but we could get more , can't find anything saying east lothian school's are shut?

Just noticed the warning. It applies here as well as places further inland, so perhaps they think the wind will veer more to the east as well?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

heavyish snow here (not big flakes). Are u certain all school's in east lothian are gonna be shut , got a link?

Hi Calum

http://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/site/index.php

Link to council website - should say on front page - all schools remain closed.

I've had a text also from my kids school.

Posted

Just noticed the warning. It applies here as well as places further inland, so perhaps they think the wind will veer more to the east as well?

just noticed it too. Thats it, curse of the METO weather warnings means its surely gonna miss us now, they cant win can they rofl.gif

Snow band over the north of Scotland (Inverness area) now seems to be setting off to the south, or is that just my eyes deceiving me and my heart hoping too much?? :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Think you could be right LS.

As little as 5 degrees backing more to the east could do it. Otherwise a near miss doesn't get any nearer than this !

Just looked out of the window and theres more general cloud massing due north of me (and due north from here takes me in a line from Kirkcaldy to Fruechie ...). Thats a good indicator for later.

Fingers and toes crossed.

It'll take the edge of the armageddon-style cold-spell reporting from deepest southern England ...

That snow is not the main band though. That's merely a wee convection shower ahead of the main band. Sky looking very red to the northeast now, just need the wind to veer ever so slightly more to the east as the evening goes on.

Posted

LS how does your radar look? I am looking NE and there appears to be line of snow in the distance. Also the wind has picked up in the last 10 mins(been calm all day)

There is also a cell to direct east but think slightly too far eats for you aswell??whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Well snowing nicely now here too.I'm sure you'll . Wonder if we'll get as much snow as the met office predict?? or NOT?? think a night a radar and lampposting.

Radio forth saying more snow on Thursday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Grand Match early next week (hopefully)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.royalcaledoniancurlingclub.org/nlstory.cfm?ID=36398&NLID=40830

:drunk::D:D:drunk::D:D:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I'm quite pleased.

Posted

Major winter storm here now heavy drifting snow, -1c and fresh to strong NNE wind, years since I have seen it so bad. Visibility about 100 metres can only imagine how bad it must be higher up than here

After a few mini freeze/thaw cycles when the snowpack shrunk and consolidated a bit we are now back to a level 0.5metres of snow, will have to dig out the field gates with the grain bucket and tractor again tomorrow to feed the sheep. This cold snap is probably going to go down in the history books.We have finally got some clear skies to the north and the snow has stopped

Posted

Dear God, why can my office never be closed due to the snow?! :drinks:

My thoughts exactly, the business centre has evacuated, every other company has left due to the snow and forecast yet we all have to stay and i live 20 miles away!

Posted

Northern Constabulary have shut the A9 at Inshes.

Slochd and Drumochter gates shut. Further north there are many other roads now closed.

Showers have now more or less stopped and nothing much showing on the radar for the next few hours!! A good 4 inches of snow this afternoon.

Posted

Wind is backing NE/ENE now. Just what we need!drinks.gif

Posted

snow gone off here. good news that the winds are a turning!! what will we get later?