Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Cold Spell Discussion Part 14

Ross B

Posted

What's with the red alert (take action) warnings for South England? cc_confused.gif

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Thats half a meter of snow tonight for them!!

Posted

What's with the red alert (take action) warnings for South England? :)

http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Suggestion that it may be a Polar Low that snuck down the Irish Sea!!! It was only spotted last night according to ITV News.

Surely it would have been seen before then if it was infact a PL!

Posted

What's with the red alert (take action) warnings for South England? :)

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

where is this magical 40cms coming from...what about people in the highlands with over 3 feet???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

Whats your method for projecting that Shuggs. Mine is a 6 inch ruler on the laptop screen, play back the recent movement, screw my eyes up and guesstimate the next few hours...

I'm sure yours is a more scientific approach ! :)

Radar says to me a brief (say 45mins) but potent band of snow into Fife and Edinburgh about 5pm.

Posted

Suggestion that it may be a Polar Low that snuck down the Irish Sea!!! It was only spotted last night according to ITV News.

Surely it would have been seen before then if it was infact a PL!

Could that be the one that By-tor saw yesterday heading down towrds ireland etc, it couldnt be could it?cc_confused.gif

Posted

Whereas that coming from Shuggs? Off the sea or down from the N

Off the sea from a NE direction - Edinburgh's stuff will have to come over Fife first.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

some nice looking showers starting to make there way into East Lothian/Eastern Borders region now , heavy in some parts.

Currently got a lot of Cumulonimbus's around here with temp at -4.6c just now

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Hi Calum

looks like your area would be more favoured today on the north/north north east wind. you are looking to be getting some showers soon i think.

Posted

Whats your method for projecting that Shuggs. Mine is a 6 inch ruler on the laptop screen, play back the recent movement, screw my eyes up and guesstimate the next few hours...

I'm sure yours is a more scientific approach ! laugh.gif

I'll gladly take 45 minutes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Drifting heavy snow <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Persistent graupel, 1.7/1.1, not settling. Uppers should be -8, -9 by now, I just give up! :wallbash::aggressive::wallbash::aggressive: <_< <_< :nonono::angry::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::bomb::fool::fool: :excl: :bomb: :excl: :bomb:

Don't give-up just yet, HC...In the last 10 minutes we've had about 1cm of fresh snow and graupel...Temp is falling. :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Calum i can confirm building cumulonimbus nearby now - so sometings arriving this way!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

As is almost always the case with this air flow we manage an odd flurry but the showers generallypeter out in Angus and North Perthshire. Just about enough last night and this morning to note them as snow falling days but no more. Am hoping for a more Easterly component before the high gets nearer or at least a more active trough or one of Mondy's commas perhaps. <_<

Amazing. My street has just got gritted forthe first time since Christmas Eve. t least we may get some grip on the ice and packed snow now.

Edited by Norrance

Posted

We got a dusting in Stirling overnight - maybe a couple of cm's - would be nice to see some more today/tonight, though I'm not confident that the ne'ly will reach us.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

Calum i can confirm building cumulonimbus nearby now - so sometings arriving this way!

awesome , radar shows a very heavy shower over dunbar the now , what part of east lothian u from?

Posted

We got a dusting in Stirling overnight - maybe a couple of cm's - would be nice to see some more today/tonight, though I'm not confident that the ne'ly will reach us.

Welcome to netweather, Graeme... :wallbash:;)

Posted

Welcome to netweather, Graeme... :clap:;)

Hehe - been around for years Pete, hadn't posted since the server issues then forgot my login....

:)

Good to back, though disappointed I missed all the fun as I've been in Australia for the past 2.5 weeks

Posted

This has been a fantastic cold spell so far but I must admit to being a little disappinted that, for my area at least, I'm yet to see a real dumping of snow. The snow on the 22nd was great but there wasn't that much really - just a few inches. Since then we've had a few coverings but nothing notable to my mind at least.

Also rather frustrating to see areas in the South now being forecast with upwards of 15cms tonight (despite the fact we've been in a constant pool of cold weather for almost 3 weeks). I'm probably being greedy but would like to see one proper fall before this spell ends!

I guess it's just the case that the North and East will always be favoured in these situations. Looking grand for the East if the current model output were to materialise.

Posted

Hehe - been around for years Pete, hadn't posted since the server issues then forgot my login....

;)

Good to back, though disappointed I missed all the fun as I've been in Australia for the past 2.5 weeks

Well, welcome back then...And, it's some snow we've got in Sneckie the now!! :clap::D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Green with envy tho' that central Scotland has been encased in this cold spell since the middle of December and now parts of the midlands, who haven't had such cold temps, may get up to 40cms overnight. :unsure:

This has been a fantastic cold spell so far but I must admit to being a little disappinted that, for my area at least, I'm yet to see a real dumping of snow. The snow on the 22nd was great but there wasn't that much really - just a few inches. Since then we've had a few coverings but nothing notable to my mind at least.

Also rather frustrating to see areas in the South now being forecast with upwards of 15cms tonight (despite the fact we've been in a constant pool of cold weather for almost 3 weeks). I'm probably being greedy but would like to see one proper fall before this spell ends!

I guess it's just the case that the North and East will always be favoured in these situations. Looking grand for the East if the current model output were to materialise.

I can understand your frustration. When someone talks about a two or three week continuous cold spell you do expect some heavy snow at some point. The snow we had last night was one of the heaviest falls of the cold spell: almost an inch of snow. I see the Met-O have an advisory out for these parts for tomorrow, I started getting interested thinking somehow some snow was on the way. What does the warning say? "Widespread Icy Roads" :unsure:

Having said that, there does appear to be the chance of some snow from the huge finger pointing down from Inverness to the central belt. Not too much further to go now :winky: :lol:

'mon the finger

Posted

Green with envy tho' that central Scotland has been encased in this cold spell since the middle of December and now parts of the midlands, who haven't had such cold temps, may get up to 40cms overnight. :unsure:

Never mind, mate. Their's'll melt away before ours does!! :winky:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW :-D

Hi all

I give up, I don't think we will see any snow here todaycray.gif, we're so close yet so far ?

Edited by Allyw12