Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

I've not seen snow like this up here since I moved from Surrey 16yrs ago, truly an event, has anyone check the HA traffic cameras, they're struggling to keep the motorways clear!

Much lighter the snow now here, but im happy, it truly is an event and half. I the main streamer is moving south, and the one further north seems to be slipping away. So hopefully we might avoid a rush hour disaster here, unless the streamer kicks in again.

Posted

Much lighter the snow now here, but im happy, it truly is an event and half. I the main streamer is moving south, and the one further north seems to be slipping away. So hopefully we might avoid a rush hour disaster here, unless the streamer kicks in again.

have you noticed the streamer coming out of sw scotland making a bee line straight for us?

Posted

have you noticed the streamer coming out of sw scotland making a bee line straight for us?

yeah, ive noticed that, and also the 2 green dots over the irish sea, ive got a feeling that might perk up, like all the other per has over the irish sea tonight :)

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/ and i use the netweather radar

yeah i use the raintoday radar and the met office :) Met office is really good one if not too bloody slow, but shows the general idea of whats happening. Its pretty much stopped here now, that band seems to have zipped through my area :) I still think suprises are on the arisen, tonight has just been full of them.

Posted

Moderate snow falling in south Warrington, there's been a couple of centimetres. It is quite wet, not powdery so seems just cold enough from marginal. Temperatures appeared to have fluctuated as there are icicles accompanying a bit of dripping.

We have huge flakes and in the time since i posted it was snowing we have 2cm of fallen snow with a lot more to come i think, temps are really flatlined it feels bone chilling here since the front as moved down..I am also watching a potential streamer out of sw scotland making a bee line for us and a potential PL just to the NW of outer hebrides, this was tiny little thing this time yesterday morning se of faeroes seems like we might get a bonanza if this drops on us too..be about time we have been starved for a good dumping.

Posted

Just awoken when the snow seems to be at it's heaviest here. Must be a sixth sense lol We've had quite a bit overnight and just done a quick check on the radar and it looks like there could be a bit more to come.

I've got 1hr before I have to think about wether to try and get to work in Manchester. :)

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Had a short restbite but precip is back and now snowing quite heavily again albeit smallish flakes, we've had another 3 inches now on top of what we already had.

Posted

We have huge flakes and in the time since i posted it was snowing we have 2cm of fallen snow with a lot more to come i think, temps are really flatlined it feels bone chilling here since the front as moved down..I am also watching a potential streamer out of sw scotland making a bee line for us and a potential PL just to the NW of outer hebrides, this was tiny little thing this time yesterday morning se of faeroes seems like we might get a bonanza if this drops on us too..be about time we have been starved for a good dumping.

Truth is the raintoday radar shows our region is never far away from preciptation really, i think the major problem is where the 2 bands are actually going, they seem to flirt with each other but not really merge at all, and im not sure if its just me, but they seem to not move very fast anywhere either (hence the dumping), the streamer you talk about also looks like maybe a problematic feature for the day light hours, if it comes off.

Posted

yeah, ive noticed that, and also the 2 green dots over the irish sea, ive got a feeling that might perk up, like all the other per has over the irish sea tonight smile.gif

Is this the PPN to the north of the IOM?

Posted

Wow, agree sixth sense type thing, just woke

the view outside is incredible

I ain't seen snow like this since I was a kid living in the vale of York in the 70's and 80's

more to come as well, working from home I think!

Posted

Jeeez... I think my mind about traveling to work could be made for me. It's really coming down heavy and fast now.

P.S. Just reading back through the posts, and it's nice that more places to the west have seen a bit of snow, although on the coasts it still looks marginal.

-1c here, and it's not budged from that since 6pm yesterday :)

Posted

Wow, agree sixth sense type thing, just woke

the view outside is incredible

I ain't seen snow like this since I was a kid living in the vale of York in the 70's and 80's

more to come as well, working from home I think!

Posted

Is this the PPN to the north of the IOM?

yeah, im far from expert, just seeing what im seeing on radars, but the two bands seem to flirt but not move, we have certainly lost the intense snowfall here but still snowing all the same. I just have a feeling we have some suprises, have to see how it develops in the next hour or so.

The BBC dont really shift the snow away from our region until evening tomorrow, even tho they make little noise about it.

Posted

Truth is the raintoday radar shows our region is never far away from preciptation really, i think the major problem is where the 2 bands are actually going, they seem to flirt with each other but not really merge at all, and im not sure if its just me, but they seem to not move very fast anywhere either (hence the dumping), the streamer you talk about also looks like maybe a problematic feature for the day light hours, if it comes off.

It does look as if the front as stalled, which if it is the case then this is going to be rather interesting. I dont expect temps to rise above freezing and tbh this is convective snow coming of the irish sea I feel it will just keep producing it until the front moves off..however we are now in very cold artic air and as such I think we'll see quite a bit more coming in...might end up showery but I still think it will remain as snow for much of today. That was forecast for south of the region anyway..but tbh looking at things now and how things have drastically changed over the region as a whole, the met office forecast is completely laughable. That streamer today will if it forms produce some significant snow totals shout it reach here...it definitely looks tho as if this is going to zip down the cheshire gap..the good thing for me about that is, I will always catch something from it.

Look towards stranraer sw scotland there is another streamer coming straight of the mainland. and if you watch the animation carefully you will see its funneling straight down the mersey which it was doing for manchester last night.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

It does look as if the front as stalled, which if it is the case then this is going to be rather interesting. I dont expect temps to rise above freezing and tbh this is convective snow coming of the irish sea I feel it will just keep producing it until the front moves off..however we are now in very cold artic air and as such I think we'll see quite a bit more coming in...might end up showery but I still think it will remain as snow for much of today. That was forecast for south of the region anyway..but tbh looking at things now and how things have drastically changed over the region as a whole, the met office forecast is completely laughable. That streamer today will if it forms produce some significant snow totals shout it reach here...it definitely looks tho as if this is going to zip down the cheshire gap..the good thing for me about that is, I will always catch something from it.

Currently im seeing a streamer develop and finger out over the irish sea from Scotland, their is also a small streamer coming off Northern Ireland (maybe a merge), then we have our 2 main bands(bigger streamers) which are tracking east and south but so slow, infact ill say they not changed much position at all.

I think that if the factors come together, we will certainly get some more signifcant snowfall, and then when the final band does ship off east/south i would not be shocked by showers either behind.

Posted

Just checking through the M60 cams and the West side looks more snowy than the east at the moment, but I expect that will change in an hour or so.

Posted

Just checking through the M60 cams and the West side looks more snowy than the east at the moment, but I expect that will change in an hour or so.

we are back to snowballs falling from the sky :s madness but a day off work, woop

Posted

My kids are going to love this.and just looking at the mersey there is a lot of precip thats already starting to fly down there..everything is going down that bottleneck :)

Posted

Good morning everybody!

Just woke up and it's like a scene from the Day after Tomorrow in Manchester city centre!

I have 7cm on my balcony and thick snow is still falling!

Karyo

Posted

My kids are going to love this.and just looking at the mersey there is a lot of precip thats already starting to fly down there..everything is going down that bottleneck :)

yep a strip of snow in the south of our region and a strip up the north, its amazing, ive just looked at our bin, where i put my plant pot and its totally vanished, looks like just under a foot of snow and still snowing.