Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Sorry just been watching TN video's on Youtube. The South of the region will see Snowfall into the morning as the Front makes its way through, BBC wants to keep the main area of PPN to the East with bands of showers in the Cheshire Plain. Lower Levels I'd hazard a guess (and its only that for now) of around 5-10cm (including drifting) around Northwich, Warrington etc.

On the Pennine tops, the Snow-Depth will be topped-up double to what it already is now so another 10-15cm, giving a total depth of 30cm on the higher passes such as Snake Pass and the Cat+Fiddle Road.

Ive just poked my head out of the window, my plant pot (average plant pot) is nearly covered, still snowing steady and heavy :D

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Look at what is heading in a southerly direction from the north, and look at what is streaming in from the Irish sea......this could just be quite an event for some of us in the NW !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

That streamer is just hiting south cheshire now its belting down

C.S

Look at what is heading in a southerly direction from the north, and look at what is streaming in from the Irish sea......this could just be quite an event for some of us in the NW !

i see what your seeing.

the two could collide over the north west!!!

i reckon 2to 3 hours it guna hit.

i hope its snow lol

am guna have to retire i'll get ulcers

Posted

C.S

So is Haydock (WA11 0QL) in the fire line, because unlike some areas we have not had a rest of snowfall at all?

Posted

C.S

so basically by the time the front arrives in the morning, we'll have 3 or 4 flakes while everywhere near me is dumped on..not good :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

So is Haydock (WA11 0QL) in the fire line, because unlike some areas we have not had a rest of snowfall at all?

radar says yes

C.S

Posted

Definitely a night to remember. 2x Snow events meeting up slap-bang over the centre of the Northwest. With the Streamer now being dissipated from the Irish Sea (the last of the PPN being carries SE along with the Wind Vectors.) This ties in well with the fact the BBC was only giving Showers to Eastern parts of the NW for the main Frontal event today. However now its gathering pace and has ample moisture to pick up over the Irish Sea, anywhere in the NW will be seeing a significant snow event.

I was hoping this Streamer could eventually be cut off by the Upper Vectors as this means more CAPE ahead of the main Front.

Definitely a night to remember. 2x Snow events meeting up slap-bang over the centre of the Northwest. With the Streamer now being dissipated from the Irish Sea (the last of the PPN being carries SE along with the Wind Vectors.) This ties in well with the fact the BBC was only giving Showers to Eastern parts of the NW for the main Frontal event today. However now its gathering pace and has ample moisture to pick up over the Irish Sea, anywhere in the NW will be seeing a significant snow event.

I was hoping this Streamer could eventually be cut off by the Upper Vectors as this means more CAPE ahead of the main Front.

that front is REALLY gathering oace,its about an hour from burnley now.

its not guna change to rain is it mate?

Posted

Do you think our region in the south will see a significant snow event? it seems everything is passing us about a mile to the north of us in Hale

Posted

bleeding hell, i wake up just now to find a good 7/8+ cm, possibly 10cms and belting down still

is this even the main event as i thought that wasnt due til later on

Posted

bleeding hell, i wake up just now to find a good 7/8+ cm, possibly 10cms and belting down still

We just had our first sleet/rain shower after hours of heavy snow :D I think their is alot more later, lets hope it goes back to snow tho.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

That's the best part, the main event hasn't reached us yet :D

Posted

Looking at the radar I think this snow event has a lot more legs for the NW, the way I see it there are two weather fronts merging on the NW, one is a streamer coming in from the Irish sea and the other is moving in our direction from the north, if these two collide, and it looks like they might. we could have a hell of an event tonight!

Then again......I know sweet FA about the weather reaaly, I'm just calling it as I see it :D

Posted

We just had our first sleet/rain shower after hours of heavy snow :D I think their is alot more later, lets hope it goes back to snow tho.

well if it keeps up, then im not sure if ill even be able to get into work as I have to rely on public transport

so bring it on:lol:

Posted

That's the best part, the main event hasn't reached us yet :D

my problem is that snow is about a mile to the north of me and I am missing all of it 0.o I am getting rather concerned this is going to be nothing but a non event down here...while everywhere east and south gets battered..what a setup...

Posted

omg im going to be so disappointed if it rains.

i really hope that cold air starts undercutting soon on the front!

Its now raining in Haydock, been going for about 10 minutes :D Hopefully the cold air will come back :) It might be just the back end of the last long shower :)

Edited by gearbox1001

Posted

omg im going to be so disappointed if it rains.

i really hope that cold air starts undercutting soon on the front!

you and me both, not 1 solitary snowflake all night since this has been going on.

Posted

People were reporting Sleet/Rain before in coastal areas as a tongue of warmer air was mixed in along with the Convective Inhibition which was causing the Streamer to form, this in turn approached towards the NW Coasts and fell as Sleet/Rain (Snow further inland where nocturnal temps are lower.)

The Frontal system is already undercutting this Warm sector, as the airmass behind the Front is completely Arctic. No worries about any rogue Warm Sectors coming from that region lol. Once the Front hits it'll be Snow completely.