Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

If the intensity keeps up and it falls as snow, Cheshire is going to get an absolute pasting soon.

Calmed down here, but about 3-4 inches here, and looking like it'll be little more :cold:

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Without rubing it in and i am not i real feel for you it really is a gut full to take

so is that why south cheshire and manchester seeing the snow Cheshire gap effect?

C.S

pretty much yes, and the fact the wind is more or less a westerly as you can see its pretty much like a spring coil moisture is fed in to it and it just pours the snow out..for me its a terrible setup...whoever tries to tell me a nw is good for liverpool doesn't have a clue what they are talking about...we fair better in a ne and a very cold easterly...its stops the irish sea modifying much..can't see it changing to the ne any time and when it does no precip.

Guess it will just be rather cloudy here with temps on the march back up..i said it earlier...why give out a warning for halton? there will be no below freezing or snow tonight..it was clear from about 5 what was going to happen..how can these paid forecasters throw out a flash warning for an area that was never going to see anything that their warning covered?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Get in your car lol and head to Northwich nice covering here

BTW more snow heading in your direction check the nw radar

C.S

I would if I still had my car! Gave it to my dad a couple of years ago, I walk or train it everywhere now :cold:

Aaron

Posted

Anywhere thats more than 3 miles inland from the Irish Sea is currently getting pasted by this streamer setup. With yet more cells building out to the NW of the stream. Im not surprised some places North of Liverpool and Warrington are seeing some of the accumulations they are. And to think the main Frontal Snow-event is due for another few hours for the entire NW yet. Anyone who's not seeing Snow from this Streamer Setup, dont be too disappointed as its only just the first 3 hours of a 48+hour event.

fuuny you say that I am roughly 12/13 miles from the coast and no snow or rain or sleet here, has been cloudy pretty much all night. No where in liverpool is reporting snow and as far as I can tell no one in st helens is either.

Posted

Oh well looks like that's my snow for tonight. Any idea if there will be any more tomorrow?

Lazy of me to ask but I don't have time to check things out more, I need to get some sleep.

Cheers

Edited by Carlisle2568

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

I would if I still had my car! Gave it to my dad a couple of years ago, I walk or train it everywhere now laugh.gif

Aaron

All trains will be canx tomorrow Lol and as for walking probably go flat on your a*se LOLrofl.gif

C.S

Posted

All trains will be canx tomorrow Lol and as for walking probably go flat on your a*se LOLrofl.gif

C.S

or buy a boat for the horrendous flooding that will occur tomorrow morning along the mersey..if this keeps up it could be quite severe

Posted

C.S

True!

You seem to be in quite a good location for the snow that's been falling tonight, over the past few weeks it has seemed that we are just too far south as the wind has been too far to the west. To get the showers right down here we need a more northerly component to the wind

Aaron

Posted

fuuny you say that I am roughly 12/13 miles from the coast and no snow or rain or sleet here, has been cloudy pretty much all night. No where in liverpool is reporting snow and as far as I can tell no one in st helens is either.

Seems John Lennon/Liverpool Airport disagree's with you. latest METAR

EGGP 042302Z 0500/0524 28010KT 9999 SCT010 TEMPO 0500/0509 5000 -RASN BKN010 PROB40 TEMPO 0500/0509 2500 SHSN BKN006 TEMPO 0509/0520 5000 -SHSN BKN010

Manchester also reporting Snow.

EGCC 050131Z 0501/0606 17006KT 2200 SN BKN006 PROB30 0501/0508 7000 NSW BKN010 BECMG 0508/0511 4000 -SN BKN008 PROB40 TEMPO 0510/0519 1200 SN BKN001 BECMG 0519/0522 9999 NSW SCT020

Give it 20 mins and you will have caught up with the fall here no doubt!

mate i hope we just hang onto the right side of marginal if we keep this cover it will be the best for 20years i reckon.

start prayin BL

EGGP 042302Z 0500/0524 28010KT 9999 SCT010 TEMPO 0500/0509 5000 -RASN BKN010 PROB40 TEMPO 0500/0509 2500 SHSN BKN006 TEMPO 0509/0520 5000 -SHSN BKN010

EGCC 050131Z 0501/0606 17006KT 2200 SN BKN006 PROB30 0501/0508 7000 NSW BKN010 BECMG 0508/0511 4000 -SN BKN008 PROB40 TEMPO 0510/0519 1200 SN BKN001 BECMG 0519/0522 9999 NSW SCT020

What you thinking mate?

should we stay in the right side of marginal or will it turn into a wash out?

Posted

True!

You seem to be in quite a good location for the snow that's been falling tonight, over the past few weeks it has seemed that we are just too far south as the wind has been too far to the west. To get the showers right down here we need a more northerly component to the wind

Aaron

a northerly will do me about now..these temps need to drop by a degree at least..what the hell is holding these temps at 1C for the past hour? (there has been no variation at all, dp has been at -0.7C too for the same period of time)

Posted

JLA was reporting light snow several hours ago which coincided with slush for those guys down there, right here its just been very cloudy had some freezing rain about 2 hours ago and temp dropped a little but its gotten stuck at marginal for the past hour.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

a northerly will do me about now..these temps need to drop by a degree at least..what the hell is holding these temps at 1C for the past hour? (there has been no variation at all, dp has been at -0.7C too for the same period of time)

You are near the sea, wait until Feb/March and see what a good northwesterly does for you then when the Irish sea is considerably colder....

As for me, the temperature isn't the problem, just need some precipitation that doesn't consist of 3 flakes in a gentle breeze :cold:

Aaron

Posted

Gotta love the BBC forecast.......sleet showers for SK8......we've had about 4" of snow in the last 3 hours :cold:

For me they said a sleet shower at 6pm and a sleet shower at 3am. Been virtually non-stop snow since 9pm.

Posted

Given the METARs it seems the Sleet/snow coastal areas have seen will readily turn to snow as cold pooling from the Northern Front overlaps the warm segment of the Streamer, until the showers are finally embedded within the front itself.

Liverpool seem to favour the fact the Streamer will gradually turn more showery, but falling as Snow whereas Manchester are basing the METAR solely on the Frontal system coming in from the N.Pennines now. Its worth keeping a eye out on the Manchester (EGCC) future METAR reports for any possible Polar Low/Sferic activity that may be predicted throughout tomorrow.

Posted

mate i hope we just hang onto the right side of marginal if we keep this cover it will be the best for 20years i reckon.

start prayin BL

I'm starting to think the warmer air might get squeezed out. Plenty more showers to come later by the looks.

Looking good!

Posted

Very good looking streamer been spreading in, how much snow have you guys got up there, I know obviously with these events not everywhere will have done so well but I'm guessing somewhere has copped a good 3-4 inches given how long its been going on for...

Gotta love lake effect snowfalls!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Manchester airport taking an absolute pasting ATM

C.S

Posted

Very good looking streamer been spreading in, how much snow have you guys got up there, I know obviously with these events not everywhere will have done so well but I'm guessing somewhere has copped a good 3-4 inches given how long its been going on for...

Gotta love lake effect snowfalls!

3 inches at least here just 4 miles from Manchester city centre.

Not a bad effort by any means!