Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Manc airport is *still* -1C/-1C , Old Trafford -0.1C/-1.1C

If we are going to have issues it will be over the next couple of hours, but still absolutely fine at the moment in terms of dewpoints.

It's going to be a mental Manc rush hour in a few hours if this keeps up.

Totally stopped here now. Mustn't grumble!

Posted

Manc airport is *still* -1C/-1C , Old Trafford -0.1C/-1.1C

If we are going to have issues it will be over the next couple of hours, but still absolutely fine at the moment in terms of dewpoints.

It's going to be a mental Manc rush hour in a few hours if this keeps up.

looks like a polar low is either developing or its developed, which ever it is *(definitely some sort of rotation on it, started very tiny and looks exactly like PL that was over the irish sea last week) its moved from se faeroes to nw outer hebrides looks like it will end up going down the airflow and through the irish channel towards us.:nonono:

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

looks like a polar low is either developing or its developed, which way it is its moved from faeroes to nw outer hebrides which will be suck in by the nw winds down the irish channel :nonono:

Yeah we were looking at that earlier. Potential bonanza time if that tracks this way..

Thinking about it this could be the low that turned up on the fax chart yesterday?

Edited by Bartlett Low

Posted

Yeah we were looking at that earlier. Potential bonanza time if that tracks this way..

amazing tho how liverpool and the coasts where robbed blind by the last snow event..as for if the PL ends up in the irish sea..well I have no idea what will happen only because of the streamer that screwed up my temps and gave snow to everyone east from haydock.

Thinking about it this could be the low that turned up on the fax chart yesterday?

Not so sure about that, would seem a little odd for the fax to show this exact system when it materialized out of nowhere earlier today.

Posted

[/quote

Light snowfall/ medium again so that blob must be tracking south now :nonono:

Posted

[/quote

Light snowfall/ medium again so that blob must be tracking south now :nonono:

Looks like the bands are just beginning to merge.

Posted

Don't forget the upper air behind this front is way colder.

well we'll have to see how fast this front moves through, someone mentioned it could be stalling which is something i dont want to see when i need my dp to be a lot lower..however saying that, its gone from cloudy to partly cloudy to clear...with other area reporting heavy to moderate rain. I don't think i'll see this rain because I am too far east and my temps are too marginal of it to be rain..more like wintery mix.

Current Temp 2.7C (was 4.1C 30 mins ago 0.o) its flatlining because of clear skies.

DP is -0.5C slowly dropping.

looking at the radar the 2 bands are merging too far east for me to ever see anything at all, let alone a mix..but who know...maybe that colder air behind it will knock my temps to below zero and produce some heavy snow afterall..i mean there is shedloads of precip out there over the irish sea heading this way...what do you reckon bartlett?

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

well we'll have to see how fast this front moves through, someone mentioned it could be stalling which is something i dont want to see when i need my dp to be a lot lower..however saying that, its gone from cloudy to partly cloudy to clear...with other area reporting heavy to moderate rain. I don't think i'll see this rain because I am too far east and my temps are too marginal of it to be rain..more like wintery mix.

Current Temp 2.7C (was 4.1C 30 mins ago 0.o) its flatlining because of clear skies.

DP is -0.5C slowly dropping.

Back to heavy snow here again, and the sky is orange :nonono: Its been really special tonight, i just wish everyone was getting it.

Posted

Have got a couple of centimeters here and the snow is still coming down. Temp is at +0.5

Posted

looking at the radar the 2 bands are merging too far east for me to ever see anything at all, let alone a mix..but who know...maybe that colder air behind it will knock my temps to below zero and produce some heavy snow afterall..i mean there is shedloads of precip out there over the irish sea heading this way...what do you reckon bartlett?

Well the sooner the cold air digs in the better...

Having said that, I've just quickly glanced at the 00z and it does'nt/didn't make much of the warm sector anyway.

So who knows. You deserve a bit of luck though and as you say, plenty of precipitation around

Edited by Bartlett Low

Posted

Well the sooner the cold air digs in the better...

Having said that, I've just quickly glanced at the 00z and it does'nt/didn't make much of the warm sector anyway.

So who knows. You deserve a bit of luck though and as you say, plenty of precipitation around

I was going to go to bed, but got to report that Haydock now has a total whiteout, huge flakes of snow and very very heavy, heaviest snow ive seen in many of a year :nonono: Its far from over it would seem.

Posted

I was going to go to bed, but got to report that Haydock now has a total whiteout, huge flakes of snow and very very heavy, heaviest snow ive seen in many of a year :nonono: Its far from over it would seem.

Bleedin' hell I was just off to bed!

Think I'm going to turn in anyway for an hour or two.

Delighted with the dumping here anyway.

Good luck people...especially Hot Cuppa, rotten night son.

Posted

its been a long time since wigan saw a dumping like this no gritting again god help the council

Wigan/St. Helens has ran out of grit bud, serious onions hitting fan if this continues until early morning/rush hour :s

Posted

We finally have snow falling at last, nice thick snow it would seem :)

chuffed for you bud :) dumping you will now have, Its just shocking here, ive never seen it this thick even as a young lad.

Posted

I'm between Manchester & Wigan, just off the East Lancs at Worsley & we have a good 3" & still battering down. Looks from the PPN radar that there's still a good bit left to fall. Here's to hoping the temp drops behind the front & we get the odd streamer off the North Sea, could be hammered by the end of the morning. Meant to be driving to Preston in an hour!!!

Posted

Just been out with the ruler and so far the snow measures 5cm with virtually no wind and it is still coming down!

Posted

chuffed for you bud :) dumping you will now have, Its just shocking here, ive never seen it this thick even as a young lad.

Its coming down pretty thickly here too..can only be good news going forward, that colder air has cut in, and with the 2 bands now merging this could be very interesting with the precip out there in the irish sea.

Posted

I'm between Manchester & Wigan, just off the East Lancs at Worsley & we have a good 3" & still battering down. Looks from the PPN radar that there's still a good bit left to fall. Here's to hoping the temp drops behind the front & we get the odd streamer off the North Sea, could be hammered by the end of the morning. Meant to be driving to Preston in an hour!!!

Im Haydock just off the East lancs, and its not even snow now, its just snowballs, its that thick, ive been following the met office radar, been more clear if delayed. If any more streamers/fronts develop during the morning rush hour over us, then Wigan/St.helens council are going to be Lettuceed, as they have no salt and the main road is already blocked into st.helens :) which really is a first since ive moved here. It also means work tomorrow is very unlikely.

Oh and the dam schools close down meh

Posted

heavy snow in mossley hill liverpool

good because your heavy snow will feed mine :)

holy crap its coming down so heavy its almost whiteout out there :)

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Im Haydock just off the East lancs, and its not even snow now, its just snowballs, its that thick, ive been following the met office radar, been more clear if delayed. If any more streamers/fronts develop during the morning rush hour over us, then Wigan/St.helens council are going to be Lettuceed, as they have no salt and the main road is already blocked into st.helens sad.gif which really is a first since ive moved here. It also means work tomorrow is very unlikely.

Oh and the dam schools close down meh

I've not seen snow like this up here since I moved from Surrey 16yrs ago, truly an event, has anyone check the HA traffic cameras, they're struggling to keep the motorways clear!

post-8881-12626688792525_thumb.jpg