Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

temp falling a bit 1.6c now dp 0.3c and heavy rain!!!!!

this morning it ws -6.5 DP -8

arrrrrgh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Are you saying you missed the heavier showers earlier?

Must of done mate I havent seen anything in the way of heavy unless it was a blink and you'll miss it flurry :lazy:.

Posted

temp falling a bit 1.6c now dp 0.3c and heavy rain!!!!!

this morning it ws -6.5 DP -8

arrrrrgh

pretty much the average through out the region is 1's and 2C must be the warm front over us now, because most of these places I was looking at where all below 0 an hour or so ago.

Most places in manchester are 0+

Not looking so good now..looking more and more like another damp squib.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Must of done mate I havent seen anything in the way of heavy unless it was a blink and you'll miss it flurry :lazy:.

I'm really surprised by that they must have just skirted you, either that or Saddleworth really is a snow magnet :)

Posted

Take it the precip has been going down the western flank and though cheshire ? Weve barely had any flurries at all here up to now and temp is a steady -0.6c

and only at junction 17 of M60 here we have a new 2 inches :S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

This is turning out to be quite good belting it down again temp 0c DP -1c not changed in the last 2 hrs

dont know why south cheshire is taking a pasting atm

Manchester airport also getting a pasting atm

C.S

Posted

Yes-I think it's trying to change to fine snow/sleet. Is there any cold air behind this?

I am not seeing any evidence of further cold behind, like bartlett low says above, carlisle showing as snow but reporting as rain..i can only assume the modifying effect of the irish sea has managed to muscle its way in (isnt surprising since the wind direction has been westerly now for quite some time). For me it was always going to be a massive long shot...NW scotland warm sector of air..this morning outer hebrides reporting as +5C inner hebrides +4C, Isle of Man Ronaldsway +4C...just way to much heat out there.

All we can do now is keep an eye on the charts and see if we can spot anything that is going to provide us a clue as to if there is going to be any cold undercutting...my fear is that the precip will fall off and temps will drop and that will be it. Still can't give up all hope just yet..this weather is schizo..it simply cannot make its mind up what it wants to do.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Anyway, although its not heading this way, the precipitation over Carlise is showing as snow on the radar but has been reported as rain - a bit worrying for later.

Well I'm a a little south of Carlisle & though it's still raining here at -1c Carlisle started with freezing rain too so hope things will follow same path here. I've been checking a cam in Carlisle & it has been falling as snow there for the past hour or so, must be pretty light as there doesn't seem to be that much, but it looks consistent.

Posted

I am not seeing any evidence of further cold behind, like bartlett low says above, carlisle showing as snow but reporting as rain..i can only assume the modifying effect of the irish sea has managed to muscle its way in (isnt surprising since the wind direction has been westerly now for quite some time). For me it was always going to be a massive long shot...NW scotland warm sector of air..this morning outer hebrides reporting as +5C inner hebrides +4C, Isle of Man Ronaldsway +4C...just way to much heat out there.

Pity....oh well it was good while it lasted, at least I've seen some snow today.

Posted

Snowing like mad again here in Heaton Chapel!

BTW - here is the potential issue we will have tonight:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs062.gif - possibly why Keswick was/is reporting +2C?

that warm sector will make its way down through the region overnight, reaching Manchester by 06z.

Fingers crossed on a massive scale that it won't affect things too much, but I have a horrid feeling it might.

Well I'm a a little south of Carlisle & though it's still raining here at -1c Carlisle started with freezing rain too so hope things will follow same path here. I've been checking a cam in Carlisle & it has been falling as snow there for the past hour or so, must be pretty light as there doesn't seem to be that much, but it looks consistent.

radar says 100% snow in carsisle.

radar says NO here

lol

Posted

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rmgfs062.gif - possibly why Keswick was/is reporting +2C?

that warm sector will make its way down through the region overnight, reaching Manchester by 06z.

Fingers crossed on a massive scale that it won't affect things too much, but I have a horrid feeling it might.

It just goes from bad to worse. Like I said earlier Joe, things where looking down for a while, that warmer air was getting closer all the while.

Edited by HotCuppa

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs062.gif - possibly why Keswick was/is reporting +2C?

I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad i thought this warm sector was supposed to be out in the irish sea.

those pink precip charts are guna be changing to blue in the morning i think.

Posted

I saw that too when flicking through the 18z.

Saw the milder air, pretending my eyes were playing tricks on me and that it was all one colour, didn't look at the zoom-in page!

Still snowing here, done pretty well so far. Pretty much constant snow since 9pm, much of it fairly light it has to be said.

Edited by Bartlett Low

Posted

On the raintoday radar is it me or are them showers/clouds at Northern Ireland making there way over here? Hopefully the Irish sea could pep them up a bit? Still hoping we might catch something off the one working down from Scotland.

Posted

Guys, there is no way of knowing for sure whether it will affect anything.

If you live east of the M6 then you just might be ok.

Also, after the warm sector has moved, there is still plenty of precip over us:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs153.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rmgfs152.gif

Stay calm. whistling.gif

PS - still pouring with snow here, -1C/-1C at Ringway.

Posted

hope that helps me because i think its snizzle here now,its turning into a dampsquib lol.

ashton has missed nearly all the action tonight.

nonono.gif

Im in Ashton too near the ASDA its been snowing pretty much on and off since 19:00ish. Keep getting periods of really fine snow/icy rain. Nearest weather station reporting -1c and -2dp.

Hope this warm air doesnt get too far inland. Funny as the models and fax earlier showed the warm air further west into ireland.

Posted

radar says 100% snow in carsisle.

radar says NO here

lol

lol, the temp has risen here & it's currently stuck at -0.5c & it's just started snowing here, flakes are a nice size but it's quite light, but settling nicely. :D

Edited by Carlisle2568

Posted

Guys, there is no way of knowing for sure whether it will affect anything.

If you live east of the M6 then you just might be ok.

Also, after the warm sector has moved, there is still plenty of precip over us:

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rmgfs153.gif

http://www.wetterzen...cs/Rmgfs152.gif

Stay calm. whistling.gif

PS - still pouring with snow here, -1C/-1C at Ringway.

thats easy to say when you have snow :D and we are looking down the barrel of heavy persistent rain..the temps are already up past +1 in most locations now and I cannot see it improving over the next few hours..maybe in the morning sure..but between now and 06z? Earlier I did not consider my location even close to marginal and in 1 fell swoop bang high temps

Posted

Temps still sneaking slowly downwards here, currently -0.9 and snowing heavily, no sign of sleet or rain.........yet!

Posted

Temps still sneaking slowly downwards here, currently -0.9 and snowing heavily, no sign of sleet or rain.........yet!

[/quote

We have had snow pretty much all night/morning, still going strong, got about 3cms on ground now and its still coming down, we have one sleet spell, but now back to snow. This is in Haydock