Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

A bit of a mild ramper! She's the mild ramping queen. Her favourite line is "at least it won't be cold".

It never ceases to amaze me just how many TV weather forecasters like a bit of mild weather. I'm mean, we are all enthusiasts on here and the majority like to see a nice winter snow event or two.

Personally I like quite a variety of weather (summer heat, summer thunderstorms, winter snow/frosts, dry cold winter days, early spring sunshine, autumn & spring storms etc etc) but to get to be a professional forecast and not be in the least excited with the prospect (or potential) of a snow fall seems strange.

One wonders if they aren't told to ramp the mild up quite a bit by the beeb it wouldnt surprise me..the only one i can remember who went against the grain was John Kettley.

Posted

The further East you are tonight the better i reckon. Another band of precip on its way here atm, temp is only just above freezing at 0.2c but the last lot only fell as snow when it was at its heaviest. Lets see what the next shower brings.

Posted

Word up, HotCuppa! The amount of snow we've had compared to the rest of the region has been pitiful. I'm used to marginal events here, but the Irish Sea has really taken the biscuit this time round.

Then again, maybe WE should be glad of getting SOME snow just before Christmas? Meh.

Temps are still falling here at the moment which bodes quite well, all the cloud is to my north..and the really odd thing (if you want to call it that) is we have a mild wind direction wsw

Posted

Big fat flakes falling here!

can see the heavy precip clouds that must be over bury way

hoping it drifts south manchester way! looks like it could, will find out in 30 mins or so

Posted

One wonders if they aren't told to ramp the mild up quite a bit by the beeb it wouldnt surprise me..the only one i can remember who went against the grain was John Kettley.

I've often thought that they must have been told how to deliver the information, so yes, it wouldn't surprise me. A bit of spin..

Posted

Her latest forcast is snow snow snow, infact im sure i saw her choke at the end of her forcast at the ammount of times she had to use the word snow :doh: Oh and the band wont pull away from us in the morning, im sure she shed a tear at the thought of all that snow :) lol I love her as a weather forcaster.

Posted

The further East you are tonight the better i reckon. Another band of precip on its way here atm, temp is only just above freezing at 0.2c but the last lot only fell as snow when it was at its heaviest. Lets see what the next shower brings.

For me this precip is more on an heading of ese skirting north of liverpool..which seems to tally with my current wind dir of wsw otherwise this sleety crap would be all over us in the south like a nasty rash.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

lol walney island reporting heavy snow and 0.5c, and thats sitting as little land with a bridge to it from barrow in the warm irish sea!!!!!

1.2c and rising here

Posted

My god you should listen to yourselves.

Bah....you're just jealous! I don't mean to rub it in though....although I'm very tempted to 'accidentally' post some of my photos in the south-east thread.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry summers, chilly winters

Got moderate/Light snow here now. biggrin.gif

Edit: Ruddy Nora it's gone heavy now - strange, Good news for the many inland of me though

C.L.

Edited by Cric_lancster

Posted

Media forecasters can't really ramp up cold weather, given the negative impacts on elderly people, motorists etc.. and the general chaos that it can bring.

Yes but they can choose or be told what not to say though. For obvious reasons, point taken. I'd prefer to see more of "potential for xx to happen later this week" though myself. Doesn't happen that often, Sundays Countryfile forecast was one example where it did happen.

Edited by Bartlett Low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Temps are still falling here at the moment which bodes quite well, all the cloud is to my north..and the really odd thing (if you want to call it that) is we have a mild wind direction wsw

What's your current temp?

0.3c here atm, holding steady.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

according to the radar bury is getting hammered?

Yep Daz is reporting big flakes!

Posted

Blowing colder air down from the higher parts of North Wales perhaps?

Still mostly clear where I am (West Derby right now) with only scattered clouds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

surprise surprise it's snowing in Bacup

not that heavy at the mo but enough to think that finishng clearing my drive of Saturday's deluge is a bit pointless

Posted

according to the radar bury is getting hammered?

I'm 5 miles south of Bury and i've had some moderate snow

Posted

[quote nam

tbh it was actually more tongue in cheek more than anything malicious.

I am quite happy with the way things are progressing, for pretty much most of this evening (since about 4pm) my temps have continued to drop and thats all I really want when the snowband and front arrive...otherwise it will be rain and sleet and slushy rubbish. If we can get down to -ve numbers in the next hour or two I think we'll be in on the act much later tonight.

hehe you go right ahead and post your pics in the se thread thats should be funny..but then again with amount of snow they are supposed to be getting come the weekend..they'd probably make a mockery of us lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

i think we got ourselves a proper polar low forming almost sure by the look of that, north of scotland, near the faeroes, unfortunately heading the wrong way with the flow....

http://www.sat24.com/gb

Edited by james12

I'm pretty sure we will be OK (for snow) having a look round at various factors, the concern is that the more organised band of PPN is forming on the Eastern side of the front and we will just have to see what happens as it all comes South and obviously there is expected to be further development along the frontal wave.

thanks for replying ian.

Looks like the showers are readily turning to snow as they get within about 10 -15 miles of the coast.

nice for me and you we are well inland! :huh:

Posted

i think we got ourselves a proper polar low forming north of scotland, near the faeroes, unfortunately heading the wrong way with the flow....

Umm, well spotted, does look like one...where would this track do you think? Could head for Ireland?

Posted

i think we got ourselves a proper polar low forming almost sure by the look of that, north of scotland, near the faeroes, unfortunately heading the wrong way with the flow....

It has been known for Polar Lows to come down the Western flank of the UK into the Irish Sea and then stream itself into the North West so you never know :huh:

Edited by dodgeredee