Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Nottingham got a whopping 1.5" of snow. dry.gif Typical.

Posted

Bizarrely the temperature is now starting to plummet slightly! Down 0.3c in half an hour, -0.6c now so no danger of any melting.

Not sure of the temp here Nick, but lets just say, we do have a partial thaw going on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Morning all,

An unexpected extra top up to the 10cms for last hour or so from that streamer.

Looks to have moved away from Nuneaton now.

First sighting of blue sky to the North East after 2 days of grey.

Posted

A good 20++cm here, falling again in dinner-plate sized flakes

Dinner plate sized flakes eh?! Sounds like a world record to me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

Well, thats 50% more than here.

really?? I thought Derby had more than us cuz of last night snow! How much do you have?

Posted

I do wish people would stop moaning!! I mean, when was the last time we had prolonged cold like this? For goodness sake stop moaning, if you want to see snow that badly travel there(if you can!). This ***could*** be the start of a pattern change(one i & other members have been seeing hints of since 2002). Enjoy the event please!

Posted

No your not, about an inch here and some places had far less than that

we've got more than that laugh.gif unless cotton is missing out from today's showersbiggrin.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

really?? I thought Derby had more than us cuz of last night snow! How much do you have?

Doing the simple maths I would say 1 inch!

Shouldn't melt here today at all, temperature still -0.6c and dew point tumbling, now at -1.7c. If there is any thaw today I will be very disappointed.

Posted

I do wish people would stop moaning!! I mean, when was the last time we had prolonged cold like this? For goodness sake stop moaning, if you want to see snow that badly travel there(if you can!). This ***could*** be the start of a pattern change(one i & other members have been seeing hints of since 2002). Enjoy the event please!

soz for moanin, its just heartbreaking to get like 1.5" when the rest of the country seems to be draped in snow. I am happy that at least its super cold though!! Like how winter's suppossed to be! Need to let the moaning out once in awhile, so I dont develop cancer over it lol! laugh.gif I reall yhope this is the start of a new pattern for winters, how amazing that would be

Posted

we've got more than that laugh.gif unless cotton is missing out from today's showersbiggrin.gif

Ok the lol 1.5 inches, cant be bothered to get tape measure out :D

What an excellent post, just the sort of post i would make ;)

Yes me too have noticed hints of a change but starting in the very good winter of 2000/2001, to be honest i've had decent snowfalls almost every Oct to April period since so don't understand those saying its always snowless and me being in central midlands i`m not exactly in the best place for snow being too west or too east at times and not that high an altitude, btw give conor a slap from me if you see him in telford ;)...just kidding :D

Posted

:lol: As Nick says...an inch. However, the highest piles are now nearly down to 1/2 an inch.

Parts of Derbyshire did well, but as someone said yesterday, its about 50 miles long, the the n/w quadrant had the heavy snow yesterday morning.

I agree about not complaining though. It could have been worse.

But whats funniest, is people complaining they only got 2-3"...there are places far worse than that.

Northants folk...remember you have also had much better snow around Christmas which was better than some of us midlanders have.

The phenominal thing is the cold. It really is long lasting.

...and we now have sunshine :yahoo: I'm going outside to warm up :lol:

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted

Well i thought this should be stopping by now and we should be heading into clear skies. But its still snowing.

Shouldn't be long. I wouldn't mind a sunny afternoon...will make it look glorious outside!

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

Stopped snowing now... paches of blue sky and the sun appearing so expectingg a slight thaw .... until this evening.

I guess thats it for us. About 2-3 inches so not bad.

Edited by kar999

Posted

Looks good for more general snow tomorrow, as far as i can tell, heading west from the East.

Kids school stayed open, MIRACLE!!

Can they last the day though !!

Posted

soz for moanin, its just heartbreaking to get like 1.5" when the rest of the country seems to be draped in snow. I am happy that at least its super cold though!! Like how winter's suppossed to be! Need to let the moaning out once in awhile, so I dont develop cancer over it lol! laugh.gif I reall yhope this is the start of a new pattern for winters, how amazing that would be

1 and a half inches? That much? I had a glance last night and it looked like 1 inch, but I was coming back from the pub in city, so that's not my most verifiable claim ever...neither did I measure it... :yahoo: