Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

IS IT GONNA GET ME!!!!!

Sorry, a bit excited, im not sure

It should get to you but will probably fizzle out a bit as it heads inland, would be surprised if you didn't get anything.

Absolutely BELTING it down here now, huge flakes, lots of them and quite breezy!

Posted

For all those who will enjoy a day off work/snow, please bare some thoughts to the poor sods who are home based, and if they had meetings...would still work from home because of any cancellations.

Yep. I shall mostly be staring at the beautiful snow, whilst looking outside wishing I could play :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Can we now call this a proper winter? I have never experienced one like it before! Absolutely no sign of the cold abating.

Tonight though could see a seriously severe frost thanks to the snowcover, wouldn't be surprised if I got -8c or below tonight when it clears.

definitely call it a proper winter, could get very cold tonight if wind drops, supposed to clear after the snow, maybe a -8C yeah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldie!

We've got a tiny bit of snizzle, the skies are very dark and looking at the radar I think that we could see some more snow this AM. No school for us today, I don't know what the main roads in brum are like but no one has managed to get their car out here this morning... I've not seen white stuff like this for a very long time!

The telephone lines are very weighed down

As I'm typing this the flakes are getting bigger and the wind is picking up!

It's my daughters birthday today and she's got the best present of all - a snow day!!!!

Posted

It should get to you but will probably fizzle out a bit as it heads inland, would be surprised if you didn't get anything.

Absolutely BELTING it down here now, huge flakes, lots of them and quite breezy!

Hi mate, belted down with snow in Cardiff all night lol, got 4 inches or more now and still heavy snow.

Posted

The radar shows nothing in Cannock though

My advice is ignore the radar, look out your window! I gave up on the radar last night, it has really struggled the past 24 hours.

Posted

Is there gonna be anymore for those south of Brum?

Yes, we could get a bit more later this morning

Posted

post-6740-12627669862352_thumb.png

Closing in, could well be the heaviest spell of snow weve had since it all started. roughly 6-7cms here atm, This might make it 10cm.

Anyone further north had much increase in snow depth from the band moving south?

Posted
  • Location: Leicester City Centre (Home) Ashby-De-La-Zouch (Work)

Starting to snow here again - I'm working from home today as I can't get up the hill to get out of my village.

I hope they come through with the gritters to at least clear some of the lesser used roads else I'm never going to get out of the house!

Posted

Starting to snow here again - I'm working from home today as I can't get up the hill to get out of my village.

I hope they come through with the gritters to at least clear some of the lesser used roads else I'm never going to get out of the house!

One problem with that, there is no grit left! :rolleyes:

Posted

I demand they find some more! I pay my council tax! :rolleyes:

Posted

Well, starting to stop here now, so might be it for the day. But hey...its been good.

Whilst most places have seen their best snow for quite some time, here, it has not been as deep as Feb09.

However, in terms of a cold spell, one of the best for the last 10-15 years for me.

Posted

well just got back from the take em to work run, roads are so quiet, had fun doing handbrake's in a empty aldi car park, so a few more drips and drabs for us this morning here in the south west,then i guess we will wait for it to start over.

a proper winter ,yes , only thing missing is icicles.

and why are the schools shut!!! we had to play rugby in this in my day!!!

Posted

well just got back from the take em to work run, roads are so quiet, had fun doing handbrake's in a empty aldi car park, so a few more drips and drabs for us this morning here in the south west,then i guess we will wait for it to start over.

a proper winter ,yes , only thing missing is icicles.

and why are the schools shut!!! we had to play rugby in this in my day!!!

Don't deny the fact that you would love to be in our position, having our school shut for a bit of snow! :D

Just seen the ultimate Christmas card scene, a little robin sitting in a snow covered hawthorn tree!

Edited by nick2702

Posted
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl
  • Location: Sedgley / Dudley - West Midlands - 757ft (219m) asl

Around the black country probably the best snow since Dec 2000 and its still snowing........

In terms of the 90s though - it has a fair old way to go yet BUT the longer this cold spell continues - us snow lovers could be in for a treat......

Snowing quite abit now - made it into work as the roads were ok - fairplay to the gritters out there - they have done a good job!

Totals around 9-11cms on the grass in Sedgley drinks.gif

I want us to break the magic 30cms - wishful thinking I know but thats the deepest I have seen in my lifetime (28) during the late 80s lol.

Radio WM says -10 tonight in the black country too yahoo.gif

Posted

Snowing lightly here but starting to pick up a bit. Looks like the stuff from the north sea might just get us. Think the bulk of them will go just to the north though.

Posted

Well, just had a check of the charts over the next, well, as far as runs go.

Generally, it is looking to become drier, however, the same caution should be applied over the last 2 weeks. Things can generally develop.

Looking as well to remain on ground level, cold, however, 850's start to remove the snow possibility around the 13th for the Midlands. GFS has been quite progressive in bringing in >-5oC 850's, and looks like most models are starting to agree on this, with maybe a +/- 2 days margin.

Deos this mean the end to the cold spell? Well, in terms of snowfall, there is a decreasing risk as we get to mid-week next week, but temperatures look like becoming surpressed. As it looks mainly dry, rain is unlikely to cause any speed up in a thaw, but increasing dew points may aid this.

However, we are still talking 6-7 days away, and there is always a chance of a turnaround to colder conditions.

Today looks like becoming drier during the day, but places such as the West Midlands and more southern parts of the East Midlands look like having some further snowfall.

Overall, who knows. Indications are there for a slight change, but who's for a re-load :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Floods...

Well have awoken to the first "proper" snow cover of this spell in Shrewsbury.. about 2.5cm in the town center, poss more in other places, certinly more out of town, cars coming in when I was walking to work had much more on them...

Been snowing the lightest snow I have ever seen too, like 3 flakes a minute... I thought i was stuff blowing off roofs and the like but its not... Looks Dark out towards Wales.

To be honest not checked the Radar, and assumed the threat would be well gone from here by now... whats the score for the West Mids today?