Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Midlands Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Still thick thin & fast here. However, I think i'll soon be on the very edge of the band soon.

Blizzards, how much snow have you got over there past the wolves/albion border?

EDIT: Scratch my previous prediction, I reckon that snow will return near SW Birmingham sometime between 3-4am some

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted

Because I am bored at the fact the snow has missed Leicester for tonight

Sharing the lack of wealth tonight Andy... even brought stuff home with me in case I needed to work from home. I don't think I can justify that with barely 1cm on the ground. The radar shows tonight how close we were to some heavier stuff immediately to the southwest. Maybes, just maybes tomorrow might bring something. I think my mum and dad up in North Yorks are now under their 18th day with snow cover or something like that. And it just keeps coming for them in the form of showers. I was so smug when we got decent snowfall just before them, and a week before Christmas. Now I just feel depressed.

Posted

Snow fall has pepped up significantly here in Worcs - not so much bigger flakes but more of them and falling faster too! :air_kiss:

Judging by the radars there some more intense falls on the way... :bomb:

Same here. Whereabouts are you? I'm in Malvern.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Still thick thin & fast here. However, I think i'll soon be on the very edge of the band soon.

Blizzards, how much snow have you got over there past the wolves/albion border?

EDIT: Scratch my previous prediction, I reckon that snow will return near SW Birmingham sometime between 3-4am some

Wolves/albion border? :lol:

Im only over in NE Stourbridge. Lol.

Last time i check sometime ago it was about 7cm. I reckon its about 8/9cm now. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Sharing the lack of wealth tonight Andy... even brought stuff home with me in case I needed to work from home. I don't think I can justify that with barely 1cm on the ground. The radar shows tonight how close we were to some heavier stuff immediately to the southwest. Maybes, just maybes tomorrow might bring something. I think my mum and dad up in North Yorks are now under their 18th day with snow cover or something like that. And it just keeps coming for them in the form of showers. I was so smug when we got decent snowfall just before them, and a week before Christmas. Now I just feel depressed.

I know the feeling mate, really do. There is 5cm on the ground here but it's really another case of what might have been for me on a personal level. 50 miles South West of me is getting 15-20cm and I got 5cm, it's like... What might have happened if the low had been slightly further North and banged all that PPN over Northants, Leicester, Nottingham, Derby instead :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW..... THUNDERSTORMS

Working in Wednesbury and snow is very heavy! But I hear in Cannock there's non hope it pushed further north!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dangerous

I know the feeling mate, really do. There is 5cm on the ground here but it's really another case of what might have been for me on a personal level. 50 miles South West of me is getting 15-20cm and I got 5cm, it's like... What might have happened if the low had been slightly further North and banged all that PPN over Northants, Leicester, Nottingham, Derby instead sad.gif

25 miles south of you got 1cm lol. Still, so much more potential over the coming days. I need one decent fall though for this cold spell to really leave a mark. Yes, the length has been exceptional but the snow has been poor (on a personal view).

Edited by Supercell

Posted

We,ve got maybe 2" in Norton Canes and its been snowing again for the last 10 minutes or soclap.gif I mentioned earlier that the radars were crap and there might be a few more surprises tonight and I still stand by that. even though the rainfall radars are showing the precip further south it looks like they are out by quite a bit.

Posted

Same here. Whereabouts are you? I'm in Malvern.

Droitwich here CG! Bet the hills will be busy tomorrow! :clap:

Lamppost watch confirms increasing snow rate, swirling about a bit now too :)

Posted

Right last post of the night, I'm off to hit the sack and dream of 25cm of snow being dumped on Northampton. Still snowing light to moderate, and we now have about 5-6cm lying on the ground. Good luck to those who are still keeping everything crossed for there first snow.

Posted

Heavy stuff sliding 10 miles south of here, looks like its over for us though still some flurries at the moment..

Posted

I know the feeling mate, really do. There is 5cm on the ground here but it's really another case of what might have been for me on a personal level. 50 miles South West of me is getting 15-20cm and I got 5cm, it's like... What might have happened if the low had been slightly further North and banged all that PPN over Northants, Leicester, Nottingham, Derby instead :whistling:

Been dreadful tonight... a reverse of my day today in the morning, setting off in snow to none, then setting off in not a lot of snow to probably a few inches. It was always an outside chance I think that this would reach Leicester, but if you review where Rushden is relative to the radar tonight, I feel like I've been mugged. I don't know whether as the low slips off to the SW that brings the stuff over the SE further north? Or is it just simply with it out the way the heavier showers over NE England come our way? What I expected to slip southwards has now gone, so I can only imagine we get a slight beefing up of whats over the Essex area as it moves north and combines somewhat with the more standard showers coming off the North Sea? Upto the 12z precipitation charts it all made sense. 18z... well, unfortunately closer to the truth, but teletext used to have a "nowcast" didn't they. Top marks to those who can remember the page.

Edited by mackerel sky

Posted

Been dreadful tonight... a reverse of my day today in the morning, setting off in snow to none, then setting off in not a lot of snow to probably a few inches. It was always an outside chance I think that this would reach Leicester, but if you review where Rushden is relative to the radar tonight, I feel like I've been mugged. I don't know whether as the low slips off to the SW that brings the stuff over the SE further north? Or is it just simply with it out the way the heavier showers over NE England come our way? What I expected to slip southwards has now gone, so I can only imagine we get a slight beefing up of whats over the Essex area as it moves north and combines somewhat with the more standard showers coming off the North Sea? Upto the 12z precipitation charts it all made sense. 18z... well, unfortunately closer to the truth, but teletext used to have a "nowcast" didn't they. Top marks to those who can remember the page.

so wot r the chances of wellingbrough /rushden seeing snow 2night------ i really cant believe northampton has 5 cms of snow and we have a bloody dusting !!!!!

Posted

im calling it a night, just the odd flurry here now, if the precip was to move just 20miles further north id av an extra 5cms at least in the morning, anyway, im sure there will be some fun and games tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I know the feeling mate, really do. There is 5cm on the ground here but it's really another case of what might have been for me on a personal level. 50 miles South West of me is getting 15-20cm and I got 5cm, it's like... What might have happened if the low had been slightly further North and banged all that PPN over Northants, Leicester, Nottingham, Derby instead sad.gif

Here in North Oxfordhsire id say around 40cm before its through, had about 25cm so far, still snowing very very heavily has been for 6hrs now.

Anyway you got more in December , our turn this time, have some on saturday me and my neighbour going to build a igloo tomorrow. rolleyes.gif

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Wolves/albion border? :D

Im only over in NE Stourbridge. Lol.

Ah, that's fine then. It's quite a long, loosely defined border, that stretches right down between Wolverhampton (5th worst city in world, official :drinks:) and West Bromwich, and dives through Dudley where it falls between Stourbridge and Halesowen.

Simple picture, colours represent teams.

albionwolvesborder.png

Last time i check sometime ago it was about 7cm. I reckon its about 8/9cm now. :D

We've got just over 14cm here (well, on my road. There always seems to be more here than the rest of Halesowen...)

Still falling here.

Edited by Hailsowen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Ah, that's fine then. It's quite a long border, stretches right down between Wolverhampton (5th worst city in world, official :drinks:) and West Bromwich, and dives through Dudley where it falls between Stourbridge and Halesowen.

Simple picture, colours represent teams.

We've got just over 14cm here (well, on my road. There always seems to be more here than the rest of Halesowen...)

Still falling here.

Had a recent check and i reckon its a good 10cm or so here now. Snow still falling too. :D

Posted

Right oh, I'm off now, it's been an eventful day over here, and I can't see any of this snow thawing for a while.

Also, on the BBC weather site, there appears to be a straight line of snow appearing and heading south of birmingham at noon tommorrow, anything think it could appear north instead? :rofl:

Posted

so wot r the chances of wellingbrough /rushden seeing snow 2night------ i really cant believe northampton has 5 cms of snow and we have a bloody dusting !!!!!

Piffle. There is a chance that the stuff moving out of Hertfordshire and Essex might continue to move northwards and intensify a bit and affect us, but we need the low pressure centre to start moving SW for that to occur. We need a big twist and a bit of convergence and some help from the Wash. A big ask.

So just some showers tomorrow afternoon then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Yep it is VERY annoying, I had a let down like this not once but 3 times before Christmas where PPN and a fair bit of snowfall missed by 20-30 miles. I'm not sure that PPN over Essex is going to head far enough up up affect Rushden and possibly Leicester is it? I'd love to be proved wrong though lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

OK am going to bed now but it's so windy here and snow is falling ever so quick.

Was hoping for schools to be shut but so far just the high school not primary so will have to get up to check.

Night all - we have a real good dumping now so I hope you all get your chance x

Posted

Looks like some precipitation to our SE might push up to affect Northants shortly.

I was writing a reply on that before the board went down. Essentially it looks like an occlusion, but the situation has become so messed up now, I don't know what to think.

(1) I'm up too late, can hear baby crying again

(2) Clutching for straws

(3) Irrespective of weather, I probably should work at home tomorrow practically for writing some abstracts for conferences

(4) Can't do (3) without a good few inches because I think I promised to look at stuff for others

Meh

Definately going to snow in East Northants very soon judging by the radar. That should top up my 1cm nicely.

Edited by mackerel sky