Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

To be fair, since my last post, the 06Z GFS run has slightly upgraded the PPN for us, so perhaps some snow showers for us this afternoon/evening time?

I suppose it is a case of just watching the radar.

I doubt we'll get any major snow events, but even yesterday evening an inch or two fell, some surprises like that are likely imo.

Albemarle dropped to an 'overnight' low of -7.7°C at 09:00. -4.4°C here.

Edited by alza

Posted

BBC Weather still forecasting lots of snow showers in the NE today and tomorrow, but looking at the graphics I'd say that the best chance will be this evening, then some 'very significant' snow is expected in the NE tomorrow afternoon, and whilst it looks to be mainly affecting the south of the region it wouldn't take much for it to be further north.

Posted

Dave you have a foot of snow in Ferryhill? I have 14cm, and up Woodham it seems to be more like 20cm.

Posted

There is definitely vast local differences, even within the town of Newton Aycliffe, never mind between Aycliffe and Ferryhill.

Posted

Looking at the radar, I think the showers at sea are getting there act togather sooner in the day than the last couple of days. There seems to be a streamer forming that may land bang on Tyne and Wear !

Whereas in the last couple of days we have had to wait until late afternoon for the snow to kick in, I think there is more instability in the air today, and maybe by 12-00pm we will start seeing the showers in coastal regions, spreading inland across Northumberland, T and W, Co. Durham and if you're lucky, Teesside, by about 2-00pm. Could be an early exit home for those of us who have bothered to go to work this morning.

Karl

Posted

From this.

Yep, but it looks like its going to move in a SW direction with Tyneside clipping the northern edge. To give significant snow here we need that trough to be ever so slightly further north, and that's happened with the showers over the last couple of days so you never know.

Posted

Hi guys

Im travelling up on Saturday from London to pick up my partners kids who were up for xmas. Ill be travelling to chester le street and Stanley. Whats the road conditions like and thoughts for the weather at the weekend?

Posted

Hopefully this streamer wil make landfall 10 miles further south towards sunderland... Newcastle had the showers last night now its our turn please!

Don't worry, you'll get snow today, maybe 10 cm totalled by midnight.

Posted

Hi guys

Im travelling up on Saturday from London to pick up my partners kids who were up for xmas. Ill be travelling to chester le street and Stanley. Whats the road conditions like and thoughts for the weather at the weekend?

The main roads are pretty clear but the back streets etc are a complete mess.

Posted

The 06z NAE shows the snow expected for us this evening and tonight.and as geordiesnow said,it would be quite slow moving due to the slack airflow.

6pm midnight

Posted

I'm still not convinced i will get those showers to the North, i'm too far South for starters and 2 they are barely heading inland.

Patchy cloud at times but predominately sunny day today, looks really winter like with the thick snow on the ground. :D

Posted

It looks like most of it will be over the North York Moors, and then after that Teesside and South County Durham. I'm not holding my breath! Mind you, there's plenty of snow about that will take forever to shift, I'm happy enough even if I haven't got as much as places like Stanley!

METO warnings updated, more of the same today, Fri and Sat.

The only one updated today, is one for icy roads, not heavy snow. And the latest forecast shows snow chances ebbing away.

Posted

it's becomming a right bloody chore up here.most estates are blocked to traffic,and the wife is a carer for the elderly.

her job is a nightmare at present.

Posted

It looks like most of it will be over the North York Moors, and then after that Teesside and South County Durham. I'm not holding my breath! Mind you, there's plenty of snow about that will take forever to shift, I'm happy enough even if I haven't got as much as places like Stanley!

The only one updated today, is one for icy roads, not heavy snow. And the latest forecast shows snow chances ebbing away.

Met Office: North East England: severe weather warnings

The ones for friday and saturday have been updated at 11am this morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

it's becomming a right bloody chore up here.most estates are blocked to traffic,and the wife is a carer for the elderly.

her job is a nightmare at present.

I still want more but life will certainly be easier when it's gone.

I haven't parked within half a mile of home this week, and I'm still having to dig my way out of a flat street.

It'll be strange seeing green fields and grass again, looks like well over a week before than happens.

Posted

I'm still not convinced i will get those showers to the North, i'm too far South for starters and 2 they are barely heading inland.

Patchy cloud at times but predominately sunny day today, looks really winter like with the thick snow on the ground. :D

I still think it is going to be more potent today/evening/overnight than previous evenings. Temps will fall away sharply this afternoon,further and more quickly than recently from what are already v. low temps (-2 in South Shields atm) giving more chance for convective generation of precipitation. This could deliver more snow overnight as by then the North Sea will be like a Turkish spa compared to land temps!

Karl

edit due to caps lock error lol

Edited by snowmackem

Posted

Met Office: North East England: severe weather warnings

The ones for friday and saturday have been updated at 11am this morning.

True it's a new update, but it is exactly the same generic "maybe" warning that was up yesterday for Friday and Saturday, word for word.

Posted

I still want more but life will certainly be easier when it's gone.

I haven't parked within half a mile of home this week, and I'm still having to dig my way out of a flat street.

It'll be strange seeing green fields and grass again, looks like well over a week before than happens.

hi Mark,if past snow events are anything to go by,it will take a very long time for this compacted ice/snow to shift up here.

Posted

hi Mark,if past snow events are anything to go by,it will take a very long time for this compacted ice/snow to shift up here.

The mounds of snow that have been shoved to the side in Morrisons car park will still be there in April :)

Posted

The mounds of snow that have been shoved to the side in Morrisons car park will still be there in April :)

aye the end of april

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Great satellite images today with the clear skies...

http://sat24.com/gb

Not often you see the whole uk white!