Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I would very much appreaciate if anyone can tell me if im going to see any snow overnight and tommorrow?

Posted

I would very much appreaciate if anyone can tell me if im going to see any snow overnight and tommorrow?

on a scale of 1-10 i give ya 2.but then again you never know lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Coming down canny now but I've got a bad feeling this could be the last splash of the night.

There's a lump of heavy stuff that might just hit Consett, if it does I'd say there's another 40-50 minutes of heavy snow in that.

Looks like missing here so after it stops here I'll be looking way out in the North Sea for the next lot.

Posted

There's a lump of heavy stuff that might just hit Consett, if it does I'd say there's another 40-50 minutes of heavy snow in that.

Looks like missing here so after it stops here I'll be looking way out in the North Sea for the next lot.

Which bit are you looking at Mark? Are you talking about the big fella currently to the north of us or can you see something building off the coast?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Which bit are you looking at Mark? Are you talking about the big fella currently to the north of us or can you see something building off the coast?

The one just to the North of you, this one (postcode is my work at Hownsgill Park)...

post-3392-12628141565752_thumb.jpg

Looks very close whether it will hit or not. It could even come down to which side of Consett you are on.

EDIT: Just seen the 21:35 radar image, still looks close, you'll possibly get the edge but miss the main core.

Posted

The one just to the North of you, this one (postcode is my work at Hownsgill Park)...

post-3392-12628141565752_thumb.jpg

Looks very close whether it will hit or not. It could even come down to which side of Consett you are on.

EDIT: Just seen the 21:35 radar image, still looks close, you'll possibly get the edge but miss the main core.

Would be lovely if it did but as you say I think we might just scrape the eastern edge of it. Here's hoping though!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Whats your take on the feature moving away from the Denmark coastline heading North and towards you guys i suspect! Or is it progged to go further south later?

Edited by snowy owl

Posted

Whats your take on the feature moving away from the Denmark coastline heading North and towards you guys i suspect! Or is it progged to go further south later?

The latest gfs run takes it towards southeast england eventually,although it is heading for us at the moment!

Posted

The latest gfs run takes it towards southeast england eventually,although it is heading for us at the moment!

The low itself may head south, but I'm wondering about the outer cloud bands, which won't follow the path of the low..any ideas?

Posted

The low itself may head south, but I'm wondering about the outer cloud bands, which won't follow the path of the low..any ideas?

bbc say showers through to saturday, this could be the same feature you are talking about.

originally this was forecast to come to us via the meto fax charts about a week ago i remember...

Posted

Tommorrow the met has warnings out and no one is talking about the potential i gather the warnings are out of date and incorect?

Posted

I may need to give it another hour or two before finalising where the Denmark Low is due to be heading. Right now its path takes it hitting the NE between Middlesbrough and Scarborough before becoming enveloped in a more Southwesterly flow taking it towards Manchester-Shrewsbury.

This is just how im seeing this feature at the minute from my own meteorological point, anything can happen from now up till landfall.

Posted

I may need to give it another hour or two before finalising where the Denmark Low is due to be heading. Right now its path takes it hitting the NE between Middlesbrough and Scarborough before becoming enveloped in a more Southwesterly flow taking it towards Manchester-Shrewsbury.

This is just how im seeing this feature at the minute from my own meteorological point, anything can happen from now up till landfall.

Im a mile or 2 away from boro in thornaby and had no snow this evening so if that comes overnight how much cud fall?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I am gutted that the band of showers sitting in Northumberland did not sink south. i spoke to my dad at 19.30 who lives in Morpeth and he said there was already 5cm from it and it been more or less over there ever since. There seems to be a very long streamer which is going to hammer Northumberland all night. Will it sink south?

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Cut off lows can sit in the same place but the UKMO have the centre to be just off the Norfolk coast. Undoubtably it should swing south and re-enter the west to east flow but it does seem to be a lot further north, interesting, if this decides to come closer then hang around snowfalls could be phenomenal as these things can deposit a lot of precipitation. The outer bands are becoming tantalizingly (is that even a 'real' word..!!) close but i suspect they'll head towards the humber then down to the SE, but one to watch.

Posted

Well,i'm not sure,but that low is already turning the winds more easterly as there are more showers coming in off the sea further down the country.

It is a nicely developing feature,and i bet the met office are keeping a close eye on it.

Posted

10cm on low levels with 20cm on higher areas (ontop of whats already fallen.)

As this feature is convective and not a typical Low-Pressure feature Synoptically, I wouldnt be too surprised to see reports across the East Coast (and perhaps inland also) of Thundersnow, Blizzard and even white-out conditions.

Luckily the Majority of the public will be in bed by the time it hits anyway, giving the MetO plenty of time to put of early morning warnings for commuters wanting to venture out. This feature will definitely make it as far inland as the Midlands, its just a case of where it makes Landfall thats the question, and which flow is more influential over its final path.

Posted

10cm on low levels with 20cm on higher areas (ontop of whats already fallen.)

As this feature is convective and not a typical Low-Pressure feature Synoptically, I wouldnt be too surprised to see reports across the East Coast (and perhaps inland also) of Thundersnow, Blizzard and even white-out conditions.

Luckily the Majority of the public will be in bed by the time it hits anyway, giving the MetO plenty of time to put of early morning warnings for commuters wanting to venture out. This feature will definitely make it as far inland as the Midlands, its just a case of where it makes Landfall thats the question, and which flow is more influential over its final path.

Is this going to affect me overnight? a reply nice and quick would be appreaciated as im going to bed soon hoping to have some idea of what may happen :unsure:

Posted

hi guys, back from work, its alot colder outside than this time last night, we are even getting the odd heavy hail shower blowing in off the sea which has covered the drive again I cleared this morning, so whats on the radar for tonight, I'm expecting a harsh frost judging by the sparkles on the snow.