Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Going by the 12z GFS charts wind convergence down the NE coast is gonna be a big player in shower development from around now until early hours Friday, so the MetO warnings hold credence for shower activity to pep up around 8pm.

Just stopped snowing after around 40 mins mainly light snow with the odd heavier burst thrown in.

Edited by NL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

How much snow is expected overnight for here and tommorrow because met warnings looks very nice :unsure:

Posted

there is some pretty heavy stuf to the north of newcastle, i'd love that to slip south rather than west!

Posted

BBC graphics are an upgrade for tonight and tomorrow but i do think showers tomorrow will be like today, very hit and miss.

Anyways, that hail did turn to proper snow at last and looks theres more PPN on the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Moderate snow atm, snow pellets have turned into proper flakes. A cm or two has fallen this evening so far.

Posted

stopped in newcastle city center.

what are other peoples thoughts on the PPN to the north - forming in to more of a band

Posted

Been heavily snowing here (Teesdale) for the last 30 mins or so. Today has been bright but very cold with the temperature not getting above -2c and now it is -3.9c. :cc_confused:

Tammy

Posted

still light to moderate snow in byker added to the cover maybe a cm or 2 so far, that lot in northumberland looks like some sort of streamer?

Posted

still light to moderate snow in byker added to the cover maybe a cm or 2 so far, that lot in northumberland looks like some sort of streamer?

Not sure whether it would be classed as a streamer or not, it is very slowly moving south though so I expect a few hours of quite heavy snow this evening, 2-7cm could fall I reckon, that's 1-3 inches.

Edited by alza

Posted

flash warning been issued by metoffice for heavy snow tonight in northumberland,tyne & wear & durham

Posted

The wind is in the right direction for the ppn to hit us from the North. Totally unexpected. :(

Posted

Beling it down here. Nice big flakes as well. I hope I get my day off from work the morra:good:

The wind is in the right direction for the ppn to hit us from the North. Totally unexpected. :(

ppn?

Posted

Going by the 12z GFS charts wind convergence down the NE coast is gonna be a big player in shower development from around now until early hours Friday, so the MetO warnings hold credence for shower activity to pep up around 8pm.

Just stopped snowing after around 40 mins mainly light snow with the odd heavier burst thrown in.

There has been very little snow here in north yorks cleveland with the showers miss and hit ,but i do fancy things will change as some of that colder air crosses the north sea tonight and enhances convection plus as you say convergence will play its part as it always does .

The showers did pep up on teeside this morning as colder air pushed in from the north sea and there was several flashes of lightening from cbs so this is likel;y to be repeated tonight i fancy as colder air crosses the north sea again with the contrast between temps at ats maximum as we go into tonight keep your fingers crossed for this one some impressive totals are possible anywhere if the precipitation peps up one to watch !!!!!!

Posted

The infa-red satellite images are showing convective activity about 80-100 mile NE of Berwick, i think tonight is gonna deliver quite a bit of snow down the east coast, probably reaching Peterlee, sorry Boro'.... but you might see the odd light shower, this winter aint over yet so just coz its highly unlikely you'll see as much activity tonight as further north you will soon enough.

Posted

Beling it down here. Nice big flakes as well. I hope I get my day off from work the morra:good:

ppn?

ppn = precipitation, in this case referring to the area of significant snow across Northumberland which is slowly sinking south.

Posted

So people think this isn't just going to batter northumberland? radar movements make it look so but hope i am wrng.

Luckily i am going out on sunday to northumberland to play in the snow like a 10 year old.

Posted

So people think this isn't just going to batter northumberland? radar movements make it look so but hope i am wrng.

Luckily i am going out on sunday to northumberland to play in the snow like a 10 year old.

it'll be closed lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Why is every one saying the snow will miss teeside tonight? :S It looks to me that band slowing sinking southwill affect us sooner rather than later imo

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

We had a monster shower here just before I arrived home, there's at least another 4cm since this morning. I think it was quite lucky because just a mile further South East on my drive home there seemed to be less. Wouldn't like to say how much and it's difficult to find a level place to measure but there must be easily 25cm+ now.

The showers to the North look promising. Newcastle and Gateshead look a shoo-in but I'm a bit worried about my location and just miss out like last night.

Posted

We had a monster shower here just before I arrived home, there's at least another 4cm since this morning. I think it was quite lucky because just a mile further South East on my drive home there seemed to be less. Wouldn't like to say how much and it's difficult to find a level place to measure but there must be easily 25cm+ now.

The showers to the North look promising. Newcastle and Gateshead look a shoo-in but I'm a bit worried about my location and just miss out like last night.

I do think Durham will catch part of these coming in but i do feel tees-side will missout...this time...

Very heavy snow here in Sooth Shields, half expecting some thundery activity...

Blizzard-like conditions....

Edited by NL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

Just 10 mins later and it looks much better for me! I hadn't anticipated how fast the showers are sinking South.